Ec1 Inspiration was (New DeltaGlider style ship)

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,

About a year ago I had a thread on the old forum called something like "Delta Glider redesign". Using the feedback from the thread helped me to model this ship. The ship's primary function is transportation and satellite repair. I am currently making panels and switches for the new ship.

Is there anybody interested in texturing this ship?

I have placed it next to the Dealt Glider to show the size difference.

ship_001.jpg

ship_002.jpg

ship_003.jpg

ship_004.jpg

Last edited:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Wow, nice job :cheers:

That cannot be all one group? (wings and body)

the tail fins are obviously separate groups but everything else looks like its all one group. It blends in well.

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, nice job :cheers:

That cannot be all one group? (wings and body)

the tail fins are obviously separate groups but everything else looks like its all one group. It blends in well.

It will look as good as the XR5 does. The Blending comes back to vertex normals and the way they are pointing. If you separate The geometry after you smooth the vertex normal the seems should be invisible. this is what the model looks like without the Vertex normals smoothed.

Russ

with_out_smooth.jpg

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
what did you use to make? possibly g-max.

I use Maya I think it is the best digital content creation software on the market. Worth every penny of the price.

Russ

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I see, What kind of textures do you want? I have a little experience in texturing, (not as much as some) be seems as you don't have any other volunteers...

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Beautiful...sort of reminds me of the space plane in the Disney spaceflight cartoon that von Braun participated in. Can't find an image of it online...darn it!

Edit: This is it, at the top o' the rocket:
disney.gif

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Beautiful...sort of reminds me of the space plane in the Disney spaceflight cartoon that von Braun participated in. Can't find an image of it online...darn it!

Thank you Major Tom

Bj, I send you a private message about texturing let me know if you didn't get the message.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Thank you Major Tom

Bj, I send you a private message about texturing let me know if you didn't get the message.

Got it, and replied,

If you want, you or I could set up a thread that is entirely for development status

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
features list of the ship

Edit: these features will be added one at a time after the basic ship is finished.

A solar panel and battery system to run the equipment

An arm on the nose of the ship to hold satellites so the crew can repair them.

a separate panel for the manned maneuvering unit system.

A repair parts inventory computer

External delivery system from the craft for repair parts. basically the computer will load the external arm with the part and then the arm will deliver it to the technicians working on the satellite.

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Coolhand vs Russ for the DG XR-2

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Actually this ship is 100% Russ's work (including panels and code). :)

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Merely highlighting the fact that they look similar, Oh and welcome to the forums Russ

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Coolhand vs Russ for the DG XR-2

There would be no competition because Coolhand is a professional artist.
Although some of the other guys in the forum could probably give him a run for his money. I think we have a very talented developer community.

Doug is a professional programmer and in my opinion the best programmer I've ever worked with. Doug's XR class vessels are truly the work of a genius.

Russ

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A friendly merger has happens between Antares Aerospace and my self

Bj has graciously puts his project on the back burner until we finish the
new ship I have been working on.

Here's a quick tease of what Has been accomplished so far.

BJ has developed code to allow the solar panels to know when the sun is shining on them or not. Bj is also developing battery code and power systems for our ship.

we could use a little help on the best way to set up our power systems we intend to have an apu also. We want the ship to have complex systems but they also need to be user-friendly.

So if anybody has ideas on how the panels should be set up please submit your ideas. This will save us from having to do a ton of research.

I would like to publicly thank Bj for all the hard work he has done. We have come so far in just one week. I can't imagine where will we be in a month.

I would also like to thank DR. Martin Schweiger and every one that has contributed to the sample code.

Bj and I have developed a plan to release a simple version of the ship in about a month. The first version will have no real systems implemented.

The only thing I know the first version will have is new panels and a nice
paint kit for texturing.

Russ

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
BJ has developed code to allow the solar panels to know when the sun is shining on them or not. Bj is also developing battery code and power systems for our ship.

we could use a little help on the best way to set up our power systems we intend to have an apu also. We want the ship to have complex systems but they also need to be user-friendly.

So if anybody has ideas on how the panels should be set up please submit your ideas. This will save us from having to do a ton of research.
Russ
For the panels I'm building for my (mostly DG flavored) flight deck, I'm borrowing quite a lot from late model airliners in terms of style and layout; not complex, but more than one button. My electrical panel, for example, is almost a replica of an A320. I'm taking a page from the CEV book as well, by depending more on MFDs. If you're interested in seeing a couple examples, send me a PM.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Russ_H,

Very beautiful work here, and kudos to BJ for rising to the task. This is a really impressive project, and I'm personally looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Somehow in my sporadic computer time in the last week, this thread had slipped by my attention. What a great surprise!

I'm curious about how you're going to handle the solar panel here. I'm assuming that it'll be tucked away for atmospheric negotiation, but I'm really curious about how big it's going to be. In other words, once in orbit, what percentage of electrical power is it going to provide?

Best of luck guys, hopefully the collaboration will take on a life of its own. (Personally, I love it when that happens.)

pbn

Reaction score

Russ

I'm working with Power management and distribution as an engineer. If you are interested, I could take a look at your design.

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm working with Power management and distribution as an engineer. If you are interested, I could take a look at your design.

I just sent you a detailed private message concerning power management.
thank you for your help

Russ