Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
1.) Buy best scoop you can afford / fit -> fast scooping
2.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
3.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
4.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
5.) IMHO it's easiest to scoop at ~0.1c but that depends on ship type.
6.) Don't go too deep into star's atmosphere
7.) Deeper you go into sun, faster it scoops
8.) Watch your scoop rate. I'm usually scooping at around 80% of maximum flow rate and velocity around 0.1c.
9.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
10.) Try to follow "orbit-like" trajectory and single rotation axis - either yaw (star on the side) or pitch (star above you).
11.) you've guessed it: WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
12.) move away from star as soon as you're finished or temperature get's too high (for me it's above 75%)
13.) Perform next jump when your temp drops below 40% (FSD generates heat - jumping just after scooping can result in some damage)
14.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
15.) Scoopable star types are: K, G, B, F, O, A and M
16.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
17.) If you have problems scooping at speed you can go bit away (flow rate at few kg/s) and then aproach at minimal FSD velocity,turn tangential to star when flowrate is acceptable and then sit few mins (for bigger vessels / weaker scoops) while ships eats plasma.
... and finally:
18.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!

I've found it to be better to "stop" while scooping (as far as travelling at the minimum supercruise speed of 30 km/s can be called "stop"). There's no reason to be moving, it's not quicker.

And should you get stuck somewhere, just call the Fuel Rats, a player group whose mission is to help those stuck somewhere without fuel.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

Again, if possible participating in community goals is a good way to earn credits if you're looking for a short-term goal.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Again, if possible participating in community goals is a good way to earn credits if you're looking for a short-term goal.

I had seen it, 700,000 credits for really trying hard... sadly I don't have time for trying hard, my weekend is over now.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Grinding all those Imperial ranks was very worth it.

20161212110219_1.jpg

20161212122326_1.jpg

Hail the Emperor. Bask in Her glory.

But the real workhorse here is the Python (and its 280 tonne cargo hold):
20161223035533_1.jpg

As you can see, it has been through a lot.

I had seen it, 700,000 credits for really trying hard... sadly I don't have time for trying hard, my weekend is over now.

The gains compound as you progress. With a bigger ship it becomes almost trivial to make 20 million or more in trade-oriented community goals. Until you hit the point where you can afford such a ship, though, bounty hunting at nav beacons or resource extraction sites may be the ticket.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Grinding all those Imperial ranks was very worth it.
The gains compound as you progress. With a bigger ship it becomes almost trivial to make 20 million or more in trade-oriented community goals. Until you hit the point where you can afford such a ship, though, bounty hunting at nav beacons or resource extraction sites may be the ticket.

Well, the last time I played I was hunted. And a Sidewinder against an Eagle (even if I suspect it being an AI vessel - no human should be that stupid to waste his time hunting a Sidewinder) is a rather poor match. Well, luckily, all I lost was mission and few credits for the Sidewinder.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, the last time I played I was hunted. And a Sidewinder against an Eagle (even if I suspect it being an AI vessel - no human should be that stupid to waste his time hunting a Sidewinder) is a rather poor match. Well, luckily, all I lost was mission and few credits for the Sidewinder.

Players have CMDR next to their name, and their sensor pips are hollow. And it's depressingly common to be attacked while flying a Sidewinder, especially around LHS 3447 or Eravate, because newbie-killing is a popular sport among the aristocracy. Some people will just hang around in a half-billion credit endgame ship for hours to kill new players, because somehow that constitutes fun.

The pit of human stupidity has no bottom.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
And it's important to know when to run: a Sidewinder is a relatively fast ship, so 4 pips to engines and 2 to shields and repeaded boosts should be more than enough to run at least from most confrontations.

Especially when being interdicted it's useful to submit to interdiction and then run for it, since this makes the attacker's FSD take longer to recharge. Similarly, trying to evade interdiction and failing makes your FSD take much longer to recharge.

Also having separate key bindings for high-wake (interstellar jump) and low-wake (supercruise) helps a lot.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Players have CMDR next to their name, and their sensor pips are hollow. And it's depressingly common to be attacked while flying a Sidewinder, especially around LHS 3447 or Eravate, because newbie-killing is a popular sport among the aristocracy. Some people will just hang around in a half-billion credit endgame ship for hours to kill new players, because somehow that constitutes fun.

The pit of human stupidity has no bottom.

:facepalm:

I will take a look for it. I think it was without CMDR and I had a rather hard fight getting off his frameshift drive eating something. Right now I managed to evade quite a few attempts to stop me, but this one managed to stop me in 30 seconds.... (If you can dodge AAA fire in a A-10C, this mechanism isn't really a challenge)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And a Sidewinder against an Eagle (even if I suspect it being an AI vessel - no human should be that stupid to waste his time hunting a Sidewinder) is a rather poor match.

That depends a lot more on the loadout, really. The vessels are close enough together in base capabilities that the one with the better equipment has the advantage.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That depends a lot more on the loadout, really. The vessels are close enough together in base capabilities that the one with the better equipment has the advantage.

Well, this one was pretty strong, I had just moved all power to the shields and turned around at blue speed while charging the FSD, but he still needed two broadsides to kill the shield and a hit and some shrapnel to kill me (I managed to make the first salvo of missiles miss me, but the second arrived in time)

On another mission, I suddenly had three opponents coming around while I was salvaging, but I was already on the run... I doubt fighting would have been an option there, regardless which ship you use.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Were you maneuvering or running?

First running with boost, trying to buy time for a FSD cool-down (I want to avoid combat), but when he closed up again and FSD was finishing its cool-down, I decided to turn around, and charge the FSD during the first salvo. But there was no first salvo for me.

Maybe a stupid noob idea, but I thought it was a great idea in that moment.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
The correct course of action depends on the individual ship and how its outfitted, but even with my fatty Asp Explorer running with boost (4 pips to the engines is very important!) has always been sufficient to evade interdictions. Yes, the shields have occasionally been shot a bit, but keeping a large distance significantly decreases your adversary's weapon effectiveness.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The correct course of action depends on the individual ship and how its outfitted, but even with my fatty Asp Explorer running with boost (4 pips to the engines is very important!) has always been sufficient to evade interdictions. Yes, the shields have occasionally been shot a bit, but keeping a large distance significantly decreases your adversary's weapon effectiveness.

Yeah. Usually I am on full engine anyway during travel, since it means shorter travel times, especially in already explored solar systems.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Python is next on my list (currently flying ASP Explorer and Imperial Courier) and I'm hoping I can grind some cash during christmas to get it.

I usually try to avoid interdiction but when I'm pulled out, I don't run. Having 2 class 2 burst lasers and 4 class 1 multicannons usually gets me out of harms way and gives me some extra cash from bounty.

It rarely happens as ATM I'm running as 1st class taxi van.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I currently do mostly salvage missions, if I have the time. They take some time and have some risks, but are well-paid.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah. Usually I am on full engine anyway during travel, since it means shorter travel times, especially in already explored solar systems.

Engine system power doesn't affect supercruise speed, only throttle. Not even ship type has any effect on speed, only manoeuvrability.

It also lands on medium landing pads, which is a big plus if your doing missions.

Funny how that works. Physically smaller than Clipper but with more fuel and internal space. Clipper probably has a hot tub and bar, though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Engine system power doesn't affect supercruise speed, only throttle. Not even ship type has any effect on speed, only manoeuvrability.

It has a measurable effect - not as much for the supercruise top speed, but how fast you achieve it and how maneuvreable you are during super cruise.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Station approach during the current community event:

station_approach.png

station_approach2.png

Unfortunately, I missed the holiday one at Santa Muerte and the chrome Eagle skin reward.

It has a measurable effect - not as much for the supercruise top speed, but how fast you achieve it and how maneuvreable you are during super cruise.

Wow! That managed to elude me for two whole years of playing. I also recently learned from some guy in local comms that scanning a nav beacon reveals the undiscovered bodies in its system.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The only community event I've taken part in was delivering stuff to Tshang City, Furuhjelm III-674 and hunting pirates there. Expecting 1 to 2 million reward in the next few days.

Still 30 million credits away from python. ASP First class taxi service seems to yield good results. Recently had customer paying 7.5 million for 70ly trip and he changed destination right after take off to system only 10ly away.

I also noticed that having "high value target" passenger doesn't increase chances of interdictions. Few days ago I've hauled that kind of passenger through 600ly (4 destinations) and didn't have single interdiction.