Gaming Elite: Dangerous

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Also hook up "flight assist toggle" somewhere accessible so you can fly back/op/downwards, dodge and shoot at the same time.

Just make sure you know what's around you. Don't apply thrust in a direction you haven't looked. This way you can avoid doing something like smashing sideways into an asteroid.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is there a way to increase yaw responsiveness in the Sidewinder, or to I just have to suck it up until I get a better ship (which I almost did last night)? For such a puny ship, this thing has the yaw response of the Spruce Goose. I do have flight assist toggled on.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there a way to increase yaw responsiveness in the Sidewinder, or to I just have to suck it up until I get a better ship (which I almost did last night)? For such a puny ship, this thing has the yaw response of the Spruce Goose. I do have flight assist toggled on.
Yaw is terrible in pretty much all ships in Elite. You're supposed to fly them like airplanes, bank and pitch into the turn. More cinematic that way.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yaw is terrible in pretty much all ships in Elite. You're supposed to fly them like airplanes, bank and pitch into the turn. More cinematic that way.

Most of the time it's sufficient. I guess I'm expecting Orbiter-type rotation at low speed, when I'm approaching a landing platform for example. No biggie, I'll just have to manage my approaches better.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Type-7 has the best yaw of all the ships I tried. This makes it especially good at evading interdiction. In fact, I've never been succesfully interdicted while flying it.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I am again in possession of a non-integrated GPU, so should somebody wish to fly with company, I'd be available! :)

Provided that instancing can be made to work.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Managed to get killed the easy way.... accidentally activating weapons shortly before landing and firing inside a station. Luckily, I still have my newbie Sidewinder.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
accidentally activating weapons shortly before landing and firing inside a station. Luckily, I still have my newbie Sidewinder.

And this is why gun deployment is maped to my X52s button 2, the one under the safety flap.

Also, it's a cool feeling to squint your eyes and say "you want a piece of me?" to that nutjob that just interdicted you while flipping that flap open. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And this is why gun deployment is maped to my X52s button 2, the one under the safety flap.

Also, it's a cool feeling to squint your eyes and say "you want a piece of me?" to that nutjob that just interdicted you while flipping that flap open. :lol:

Well, I use gamepad right now, and I still have to get used to the multiple button assignments there. But the gamepad is more mobile than the joysticks.:lol:

Managed to deliver the first some missions, the last one was over 31 ly ... any hints on how to get into exploration?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Managed to deliver the first some missions, the last one was over 31 ly ... any hints on how to get into exploration?

I'd suggest getting Diamondback scout. Served me for some time with pretty decent results. 3A class fuel scoop is a must then and it has almost no room for expansion in my "exploration" setup, however it has excellent heat dump capability meaning you can perform jump few seconds after fuel scooping.

Engines are bit overpowered in my setup however that can get you out of troubles really quickly. Also it's very maneuvrable, meaning you have decent chance of surviving and winning single opponents (most dangerous I killed was NPC Vulture at "Master" level).

Good idea is to replace cargo bay with passenger bussinnes class cabin and do some ~1000ly trips with wealthy explorers "honking"* all the way.

* Honking - scanning system with advanced discovery scanner which makes "Incetion-like" honk.

Here's setup I used:
http://loru.bluespiderhosting.net/random/elite/Outfitting%20-%20Diamondback%20Scout.pdf

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Well, I use gamepad right now, and I still have to get used to the multiple button assignments there. But the gamepad is more mobile than the joysticks.:lol:

What Loru said about the ship choice, but all in all the essential equipment is the following:
  • Advanced discovery scanner
  • Detailed surface scanner
  • Biggest fuel scoop you can fit
  • Best FSD you can buy, if possible engineered*

A Cobra can be a decent exploration vessel too.

*It's possible to further improve systems by bringing certain materials to the Engineers, some of which are already marked on your map, others of which must be discovered.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Haven't got much time to play it unfortunately, looks good, and enjoying the newsletters. Guessing its quite deep when you get into it?

N/

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Haven't got much time to play it unfortunately, looks good, and enjoying the newsletters. Guessing its quite deep when you get into it?

N/

Well, I first played online yesterday evening, and it looks pretty much like you can spend a lot of time sitting in the hangar and planning your next flight, before you depart.

Discovered a few new planets along the way, I suspect this knowledge is per faction and not really a new discovery.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It can be, but it's important not to fall too much into the grind. Being able to enjoy having your own friggin FTL spacecraft is key, since there's no clear-cut goal.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I don't mind open-ended games, though they have a natural end for me. Boredom. Happened with Fallout 4, enjoyed it for a few months, them it got hard-work.

Not too good with shooting games, it all happens too fast for me...

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Discovered a few new planets along the way, I suspect this knowledge is per faction and not really a new discovery.

At this point, you'll have a hard time finding any really new discoveries (i.e. undiscovered by a player) in 1500 lightyear radius around the bubble. They do give a nice bonus, but are not essential. Basically anybody more than 20 lightyears away from a system that you haven't maped yet will pay for the updated data if you do, which doesn't make all that much sense world-building wise, but is a nice source of income.

The usual approach to early exploration is to get enough money for the best FSD you can fit and a decent fuel scoop, then throw out your cargo bays and all your guns to increase your jump range. Sidewinders have been to the core and back this way, although you have to be a special kind of person to enjoy such a trip. It wasn't really my cup of tea. I've been 500 ly out with my sidewinder, and later 1500 in a Cobra, and that last trip set me up with some 7 million.

If you do make it to the core and back and sell your data however, you'll have enough money to skip several tiers and go right for an Asp. (.net? :lol:). Note that you lose your data if you get destryoed on the way, however, so this is just about the highest risk vs. reward scenario E:D has to offer. Though it's a bit better now since you can make a stopover at Jaque.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've been 500 ly out with my sidewinder, and later 1500 in a Cobra, and that last trip set me up with some 7 million.

Well, I have now done 31 ly with a sidewinder and it took quite some time including the refueling stops. I should shop for a fuel scoop, any tips about them?

And are the servers down right now?

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I have now done 31 ly with a sidewinder and it took quite some time including the refueling stops. I should shop for a fuel scoop, any tips about them?

1.) Buy best scoop you can afford / fit -> fast scooping
2.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
3.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
4.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
5.) IMHO it's easiest to scoop at ~0.1c but that depends on ship type.
6.) Don't go too deep into star's atmosphere
7.) Deeper you go into sun, faster it scoops
8.) Watch your scoop rate. I'm usually scooping at around 80% of maximum flow rate and velocity around 0.1c.
9.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
10.) Try to follow "orbit-like" trajectory and single rotation axis - either yaw (star on the side) or pitch (star above you).
11.) you've guessed it: WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
12.) move away from star as soon as you're finished or temperature get's too high (for me it's above 75%)
13.) Perform next jump when your temp drops below 40% (FSD generates heat - jumping just after scooping can result in some damage)
14.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
15.) Scoopable star types are: K, G, B, F, O, A and M
16.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!
17.) If you have problems scooping at speed you can go bit away (flow rate at few kg/s) and then aproach at minimal FSD velocity,turn tangential to star when flowrate is acceptable and then sit few mins (for bigger vessels / weaker scoops) while ships eats plasma.
... and finally:
18.) WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURE!

Since the Sidewinder is already almost fuming after leaving hyperdrive, I better wait. Also it looks like with the Horizons equipment, I already have no internal bays available for installing a fuel scoop. Will do that when I have a better vehicle. The Diamondback looks good and affordable ... at least in some weeks.