New Release Extended Map MFD

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Great Work! I always love this mfd, but I am usually too lazy to go all the way to the end of the mfd selection pages and select this. Is there a way to bring it to the front? I think OrbiterSound did this too.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Great Work! I always love this mfd, but I am usually too lazy to go all the way to the end of the mfd selection pages and select this. Is there a way to bring it to the front? I think OrbiterSound did this too.
Let's try with Google Translate: "How to change MFD's menu order"

barrygolden

Reaction score
Back when the Shuttle first flew NASA had a screen called 3D world. Orbiter needs to show that even in a MFD or full screen

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Back when the Shuttle first flew NASA had a screen called 3D world. Orbiter needs to show that even in a MFD or full screen
Well, If I recall correctly, IMFD has a nice 3D map with movable camera views only in the left mfd.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this asbjos! A must have MFD!

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to allow the user to load an image file instead of the contour/coast .vec files? The MFD would look in the "usual" place for a bmp file: "Textures\EarthM.bmp", etc.. and it could load that instead, with the feature being selectable in the config page. If it messes with the other projections, perhaps it could be an "equirectangular only" option.
Thank you for the kind words!

Hmm ... It would for sure be messy with the different projections. It would probably be better with a vectorised map, where polygons describe e.g. deserts, forests and such. I could look into this, but probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks! Yep, @Ripley has it right.

Check out this: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=675d2bfc-ea7a-42ac-80e5-af7f1ecd5d07
I tried to experiment with a 3D projection in my MFD, but as it's implemented in 2D, that was not really possible without rewriting significant parts (as in 3D you have a "backside" which is not to be drawn on-screen). For me, the Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area projection is close enough.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Thank you for the kind words!

Hmm ... It would for sure be messy with the different projections. It would probably be better with a vectorised map, where polygons describe e.g. deserts, forests and such. I could look into this, but probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks! Yep, @Ripley has it right.

Check out this: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=675d2bfc-ea7a-42ac-80e5-af7f1ecd5d07
I tried to experiment with a 3D projection in my MFD, but as it's implemented in 2D, that was not really possible without rewriting significant parts (as in 3D you have a "backside" which is not to be drawn on-screen). For me, the Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area projection is close enough.
Sorry for my lack of expertise, but I was the one who asked dgatsoulis about the map. I noticed that other mfds used the older bmp file as the map, and that you can replace the bmp with a colour map. But in orbiter 2016, it is vector file. I know that you can set it to use the old map in Orbiter.cfg, maybe use that?

Also for the 3d projection, there used to be something called videnie. It did 3d trajectory projections, similar to KSP's map mode. Maybe use that and IMFD to create 3d map??

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry for my lack of expertise, but I was the one who asked dgatsoulis about the map. I noticed that other mfds used the older bmp file as the map, and that you can replace the bmp with a colour map. But in orbiter 2016, it is vector file. I know that you can set it to use the old map in Orbiter.cfg, maybe use that?

Also for the 3d projection, there used to be something called videnie. It did 3d trajectory projections, similar to KSP's map mode. Maybe use that and IMFD to create 3d map??
The problem with the bmp is still the same: that it won't support projections (i.e. stretching) and zooming very well. If you want to use a bmp, up to lets say 64 times zoom, you need a [imath]\left( 300 \text{ px} \right) \times 64 \approx 20\,000 \text{ px}[/imath] map. It doesn't really work out in any practical way. I would say there's a good reason MartinS switched to vector maps in Orbiter2010. ?

As for 3D map, I think the Map3D MFD I linked in my previous comment does a well enough job at it, making it unnecessary to try to replicate.

Apropos Videnie, have you checked this out? https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/orbits-came-for-the-orbiter.33870/
It does approximately the same, but for the Orbiter2016 with D3D9 client.

And by the way, if you are interested in a map showing your history track instead of the predicted track, then be sure to check out my Travelmap MFD.

---

To prove my point, here is a quick implementation of the orthographic ("3D view") projection:
1637443311116.png
The problem is that I have to discard half of the globe. All the other projections always show the entire globe's surface, while the 3D view one has to hide half of it, which would mess up current implementation of the daylight, orbital tracks, grid lines, and general map drawing.
Then you have the added problem of: what should the track show in 3D? Should it be along the ground, or 176 km above the surface, as in this example?

But please do come with your suggestions and hints! If you argue enough for it, it could be that I try to implement it in the end. ?

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
The problem with the bmp is still the same: that it won't support projections (i.e. stretching) and zooming very well. If you want to use a bmp, up to lets say 64 times zoom, you need a [imath]\left( 300 \text{ px} \right) \times 64 \approx 20\,000 \text{ px}[/imath] map. It doesn't really work out in any practical way. I would say there's a good reason MartinS switched to vector maps in Orbiter2010. ?

As for 3D map, I think the Map3D MFD I linked in my previous comment does a well enough job at it, making it unnecessary to try to replicate.

Apropos Videnie, have you checked this out? https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/orbits-came-for-the-orbiter.33870/
It does approximately the same, but for the Orbiter2016 with D3D9 client.

And by the way, if you are interested in a map showing your history track instead of the predicted track, then be sure to check out my Travelmap MFD.

---

To prove my point, here is a quick implementation of the orthographic ("3D view") projection:
View attachment 27042
The problem is that I have to discard half of the globe. All the other projections always show the entire globe's surface, while the 3D view one has to hide half of it, which would mess up current implementation of the daylight, orbital tracks, grid lines, and general map drawing.
Then you have the added problem of: what should the track show in 3D? Should it be along the ground, or 176 km above the surface, as in this example?

But please do come with your suggestions and hints! If you argue enough for it, it could be that I try to implement it in the end. ?
I remember seeing this addon while browsing through all the mfd addons on OrbitHangar! Another fine addition to my flight computer.
I think it is great! Thanks for the answer.