Gaming F-Sim

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Ok, I know this sounds like an advertisement, but it's not really.

Has anyone out there seen this iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad app?

http://www.f-sim.com/test2/

It's phenomenal. Since it's just geared for landing, it's all atmospheric simulation, and it's better (graphically, atmospheric modeling, and realism) than Orbiter! Now, of course, nothing can compete with what orbiter DOES do, but this is an awesome "Orbiter Fix" for when you're on the go. The flight model seems quite realistic, although, never having actually flown an Orbiter I can't say, but it's got incredible realism, day, night, clear, cloudy, cross winds, you name it, it's there. It faithfully reproduces the HUD identical to real landings I've seen from the pilot's perspective. It measures max pressure on the the right, left and front gear, and shows if the values, along with max distance to center line, distance before or after optimal landing zone, vertical airspeed at touchdown (rear and front), and distance from the end of the runway are within acceptable limits (green/yellow/red) and it scores the landing and rates it (perfect/good/safe/hard/crash or bailed out). You can view the replay from any conceivable vantage point. Behind (or around from any angle up or down), tower, runway, pilot, etc.. as well as pinch to zoom FOV adjustment.

You can select a full or final approach at KSC or Edwards, (Runway 33 or 15, and 22L or 04R) respectively, choose day or night, clear or overcast with visibility between 5 and 25 Nm. Altitude and speed are indicated in feet and mph rather than metric, which, for one thing is more realistic, and easier for us "backward" Americans for still using it. Also, peak wind speed, gusts, turbulence as well as air temp & pressure can be adjusted as well.

Failures include no guidance, no hud, speed brake stuck at 0-100 percent, and navigation accuracy can be set to MLS, TACAN, or your own custom setting.

If I was forced to come up with something "wrong" with it, there's no visual representation of the chute, but, it does deploy within the simulation and it does slow the orbiter down quicker so you can set the front gear down at 185 Nmph or less and it does detach, you just don't see that.

Personally, I have a $1.99 or less self imposed cap on app purchases that I rarely break, but in this case, I did splurge and pay the $3.99 for the app, (on faith that it would be decent), and well, it's totally worth the $3.99 if you're wondering.

I've only played it on my iPhone 4, but I can imagine how much better it plays on an iPad. It runs flawlessly on the 4, but that big 10" screen of an iPad or iPad 2 would just make it that much sweeter. Definite 5 star app for sure.

-SpaceNut

Last edited:

SandroSalgueiro

Reaction score
I actually used it a lot to calculate HAC trajectories [which I then used in Orbiter] when I didn't know of GPC MFD existence. My top score is 998K.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
I'm playing it on both, iPad and iPhone and it is truly awesome. It is not Orbiter. But it does the trick if you're not near and Orbiter PC and have a few minutes to spare.

Unlike other apps, like X-Plane, the F-Sim policy is very user friendly: If you buy it for one device (e.g. iPhone) you also have the native iPad version (universal app?). For X-Plane, you have to pay separately for each device.

It is unbelievable how far we have come since Nokias Snake ;)

Keatah

Reaction score
sublogic_a23d1_saturnnavigator_ad8205.jpg
It's unbelievable how far we've come since this, Circa 1979-1981

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah. I've got it. Nice app which is good for practicing land. Wish you could launch.

bujin

Reaction score
I've been playing it for a few months - it's got better with recent releases, which now have different camera views, virtual cockpit and an on-screen joystick option for controlling the shuttle.

Using the accelerometer takes a lot of getting used to as it's quite difficult to control. I thought the joystick option would be better, but it isn't!

I haven't yet had a good landing, but I'm getting closer to one!

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
desktopsimmer.blogspot.com
The Joystick feature takes a bit of getting used to, but I've been getting more consistant perfect scores with it. However, it's easier on the iPad as compared to the iphone/ipod Touch.

The reason why the visual version of the the chute was not included in this release was becasue the original development version of the chute had the animation computed based onthe weather variables and the motion of the orbiter, which took a lot of resources. Sascha is now working on a pre-computed verson of the chute's deployment and movement, sadly he ran out of time before the launch of STS-135 and wanted to get release on the last mission. Luckily I managed to finish the 3D model in time and we the test pilots ran the quickest beta testing sessions that I think we've ever done. The 3D model still needs refinements and maybe some enhancements but these are for later versions ;)

bujin

Reaction score
Well, I've managed to get all greens for the first time, but only on the final approach mode - not the full thing with the HAC. About time, though! I must have destroyed dozens of shuttles so far...

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
desktopsimmer.blogspot.com
You've only destroyed simulated Orbiters ;)

The Full Approach Mode just needs a little patience. Strange that most find it harder, when IMHO from final flare to main gear touchdown is the hardest bit.

SandroSalgueiro

Reaction score
No HUD = more fun.

Seriously now, the quality of the app really surprised me. Congratulations to everyone involved in making such a fine final product -- V2.0 rulez.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sweet. Will have to try this. Looks like they just released on Monday. And since its adding relevant info to the thread, no worries on the necropost :thumbup: