News Felix Baumgartner, 23 miles balloon jump.

spacemonkey81

lost in space
Reaction score
stupid question perhaps, but...felix came down, the capsule came down, but what happend to the balloon itself? when freed of the weight of the capsule did i go so high that it bursted? or did it survive, and if so, how long will it last en where will it wander off to? it would probably have no more effect from wind, would it move by the earth's rotation?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
stupid question perhaps, but...felix came down, the capsule came down, but what happend to the balloon itself? when freed of the weight of the capsule did i go so high that it bursted? or did it survive, and if so, how long will it last en where will it wander off to? it would probably have no more effect from wind, would it move by the earth's rotation?

Stratospheric balloons cut loose usually pop very soon in thinner atmosphere after a short ascent.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Since it rarely happens that the hulls of such balloons land on Earth and cause massive problems, I suspect they are destroyed and return with the capsule.

FADEC

Reaction score
I can't help it, but the jump of Kittinger still looks more epic than the Red Bull advertisement show. Not only because he didn't have a pressurized capsule as I mentioned already, but also because of the different equipment and footage back at those days. Today everything looks too perfect, too clean, and too safe. There wasn't even clouds below Baumgartner while Kittinger fell through lots of clouds.

Still a true hero.

By the way, does somebody also remember Larry Walters these days?

I would love to take a seat :lol:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
tumblr_mbwleeepzm1ql2603o1_400.gif

Reaction score

https://twitter.com/RedBullStratos/status/258347035680440321/photo/1

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Space Travel: Space daredevil Baumgartner is 'officially retired':
{...}

"I am officially retired from the daredevil business now," the 43-year-old Austrian told UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in a meeting Tuesday to discuss his death-defying jump from the edge of space earlier this month.

{...} the former paratrooper said he was now concentrating on becoming a commercial helicopter pilot as a retirement job.

"I am going to put myself into public service as a pilot, rescuing people from mountains, as a firefighter," he said, adding that he would work in Austria, Switzerland and the United States.

Though his jump caused mass jitters among others, Baumgartner said he has no physical scars.

"When I landed, I had a medical check and there were no problems," he told AFP. But he is not recommending that anyone try to copy him, saying: "No, I wouldn't. Trust me, it is difficult."

{...}

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
A documentary from BBC:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Phys.org: Supersonic skydiver fell faster than thought:
{...}

According to the official numbers released Monday, Feb. 4, 2013, the Austrian parachutist known as "Fearless Felix" reached 843.6 mph. That's equivalent to Mach 1.25, or 1.25 times the speed of sound. His top speed initially was estimated last October at 834 mph, or Mach 1.24.

{...}

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
New video of Baumgartner's jump:

EDIT: :facepalm: Should have looked for a dedicated thread. Thank you, random Mod! :hello:

Last edited:

globalist

Reaction score
I've heard this jump summed up pretty neatly:

"A giant step for a man, a small leap for manking." :p