Gaming Flight Sim World is now live on Steam Early Access.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It's built on the ESP codebase (the simulator platform on which FSX and Prepar3d are based), but apparently with significant changes.

What you might be referring to is FSX:Steam Edition which was essentially FSX with the Acceleration pack recompiled and slightly modified in order to be sold on Steam, again by Dovetail Sims.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Fabr91, I seem to remember Microsoft had a "simplified" flight-sim that they sort of lost interest in?

Or is it just old age, and its all in my mind...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
That's the one, thanks for that indy91.

N.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Meh--early reviews aren't exactly glowing, and without native VR support I'm not interested.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hesitating on checking it out right now. The several videos I've seen depict a worthy successor of FSX, in that it just shows too much of FSX in it. The handling of the planes feel a tad too linear and easy, the graphics makes you nostalgic of the FS2004/FSX era, and some parts of the engine are barely changed.

That being said, it is a worthy successor in that it leverages the good parts of FSX while (at least promising for some parts) changing the bad. The interface looks sleek, the graphics updated (PBR shaders and cockpit shadows makes for a much better immersion - ORBX made scenery pops out like you would expect and the rain on the windshield is top notch), and the plane designs are that of paid addons on FSX, with fully working cockpits entirely 3D modeled down to the details.
There is not a lot of choice and 3rd party support is not yet on, but it is a first EA release and 3rd party is planned.

I don't know if the price is going to increase throughout the early access campaign, but at $25 now I'd say it's something to consider.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I thought the Railroad thing they had done was quite good?

N.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I finally gave in and bought it. 15 Gb download for a 30 Gb install. Probably won't look into it until Monday or Tuesday. Will report back with screenshots (and maybe videos) and my personal feelings, as a long FSX user, hopping to back and forth to FlightGear and XPlane's demo that I tried not so long ago.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
can we say that this is the new fsx?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
can we say that this is the new fsx?
Do you mean "the new fsx" as in "the latest direct descendent of the fsx codebase"? If so, yes, that's what this is.

If you instead mean "the new fsx" as "the flight sim that will sit at the top of the market for the next ten years", probably not...

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Do you mean "the new fsx" as in "the latest direct descendent of the fsx codebase"? If so, yes, that's what this is.

If you instead mean "the new fsx" as "the flight sim that will sit at the top of the market for the next ten years", probably not...

I was basically meaning both of them, as the second to be the direct consequence of the first. Sorry to hear that its not like that :(