Flying a Cessna On Other Worlds

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
OK, read the article, so it's an examiniation of how wrong the original conclusions were. I'm thinking that something else was the object of the original discusion. AFIAK it looks like the illustrations were to show the density, and therefore, the laminar flow of the atmosphere. Giving rise to the premiss that the lift coefficient is either heavier, or lighter than that the "air" on earth. If a plane were influenced only by weight the atmo gasses, and not by the content (acidity) (lack of oxygen) (or temprature) of the gasses.

It's an interesting question, MARS Flyer anyone?

Keatah

Reaction score
I got to flying the Fanjet in X-plane on Mars. And it felt like racing slicks on wet ice. Great fun! And you need a 5 mile runway, to get what amounts to a glider, off the runway.

The vectorable rocket pods on the solar powered Learjet make life easier, but you're still all over the place.

And this other ship, I forget the name, has enough power to do lightspeed inside any atmosphere!

And I'm working on getting the Boeing Sonic Cruiser working on Mars, too.

While these add-ons are from like 10 years ago, in an equally old simulator, it's still loads fun. https://picasaweb.google.com/114688480094930960522/OldXPlaneAddons

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
perhaps the question should be rephrased, replacing the petrol-based motor on a cessna with an electric one of the same performance, would it be able to fly on other worlds?

Tommy

Reaction score
I've seen NASA plans for a "drone" designed for Mars and another for Titan. But the OP mentioned a Cessna, so the answer is "No, it won't fly on any body in this solar system"

Even leaving off the O2 problem by using an electric power source of equivalent dimension and mass.

With Mars, you've got a lower gravity, but the atmosphere's density is much lower in comparison. You would need a large wing surface, and some rather large flaps. We've got planes that can fly at pretty low speeds (think arctic bush plane) like 50 kph. Put that tech on steroids and you've got a Mars plane.

On another body, such as Titan, you get a very different shape. More of a submarine with wings - very low frontal cross-section.