for UFO believers:

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
As you hear the information, it may be difficult to accept at first, but it is vital for all who would seek to make a contribution in the world.
Everyone just puts $1 in the box m'ow?

bujin

Reaction score
Isn't it a shame that these alien beings never seem to give any solid evidence of their existence? It's not that hard to do. Clearly they would be a heck of a lot more advanced than us, so how hard would it be to, say, give us a cure for cancer, or perhaps eradicate the AIDS virus?

Something "miraculous" like that would have to give people cause to sit up and take notice.

Hell, if this part of the universe is quite populated, perhaps even point us in the direction of a star system that has life that we can detect through SETI.

But oh no.

Regarding our reality, we cannot demonstrate our physical presence to you, and so you must discern the meaning and the import of our words. At this point, it is not merely a matter of belief. It requires a greater recognition, a Knowledge, a resonance. The words we speak we believe are true, but that does not assure that they can be received as such. We cannot control the response to our message. There are people who require more evidence than can possibly be given. For others, such evidence will not be necessary, for they will feel an inner confirmation.

How convenient.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
seriously, they should watch a few hollywood flicks to see how a solemn speech like that should be held for most effect. :dry:

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by this kind of thing. I can't say how many hours I've wasted over the years looking into it. What keeps drawing me back -- like a gawker slowing down as I pass a terrible wreck on the road -- is the question of how this happens: How can people get sucked into this kind of craziness? What mental processes separate the people who are immune from those who are susceptible?

I have a friend who is a good example. He used to work for me, and now he occasionally helps me maintain my computers and networks at home. He's one of the people without a "mental immune system." He's very intelligent; I've watched him solve issues with my computer systems in minutes that have stumped me for weeks. It's not just specialized knowledge, either -- he's got some serious mental horsepower when applying logic to difficult system problems.

But this fellow is utterly without mental defenses to any kind of "occult" BS and conspiracy theory. In his world, "they" are out there, just out of sight (most of the time) -- "black helicopters," "911 truth," "UFOs;" you name it, his mind is full of it. We've had many long conversations while he's working on my computers about this. I try to be respectful, and probe where his brain goes off the rails. I've tried to explain the difference between healthy skepticism and Occam's Razor on the one hand, and cynicism and close-mindedness on the other hand. I've offered him books -- Sagan's "Candle in the Dark" for one. But nothing seems to have an impact. He can't tell the difference between science and pseudo-science, between real history and conspiracy theory.

I honestly think that this is a very important issue, because I've come to believe that if we can't figure out what causes this, and how to combat it,
then the prospects for our world and our species are not really all that good. I think that the number of people who have really mastered the scientific world-view are and always have been very small. That was OK in a simpler world with simpler and less powerful technologies. The few could develop the science and technology and the many could use it without really understanding where it came from. But the more we advance down the path of scientific and technological progress, the more true Clarke's Third Law becomes for larger and larger parts of the population. Couple that with the value modern societies place on democracy, and the ease with which powerful and potentially destructive technologies can be used by people who don't really understand them, and we have a prescription for disaster ...

GB, THHotA

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What I find interesting is the fact that UFO's seem to change depending on the culture and belief system of the witness. They also change in conjuction with our advances in technology.

For example, in the 1800s the most common type of UFO by far was large, cigar-shaped, and powered by propellers. Then we invented the propeller. After that, UFOs generally had rocket-like propulsion systems, which of course disappeared when the jet age came along.

There's something fishy going on here. ;)

bujin

Reaction score
Sagan's "Candle in the Dark"

Bloody good book! Should be a must-read for everyone at school age! :lol:

and the ease with which powerful and potentially destructive technologies can be used by people who don't really understand them, and we have a prescription for disaster ...

And people who have (or could have) access to 21st century technology but are still living with 7th century (or earlier) ideologies who think it is their duty to use it...

What I find interesting is the fact that UFO's seem to change depending on the culture and belief system of the witness. They also change in conjuction with our advances in technology.

For example, in the 1800s the most common type of UFO by far was large, cigar-shaped, and powered by propellers. Then we invented the propeller. After that, UFOs generally had rocket-like propulsion systems, which of course disappeared when the jet age came along.

There's something fishy going on here. ;)

And if you go further back in time, UFOs give way to demons...

This is particularly visible in the phenomenon of sleep paralysis and the associated hypnopompic and hypnagogic hallucinations. A few hundred years ago (and earlier), it was interpreted as the incubus and succubus demons. In the age of spiritualism up to modern day in some parts of the population, it was/is interpreted as ghostly visitations (and as an occasional sufferer, it's easy for me to see why!). From, say, the 1940s onwards, it was interpreted as alien abductions.

The aliens themselves also seem to reflect changes in popular culture.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Well I believe it's more like the descriptions of the ufo's that have changed rather than the ufo's themselves. Back in ancient times people had few things to compare such bizarre objects to. Such as flying shields and mountains of silver or gold in the sky for example. Not to mention how much translation that such ancient text had to go through. And it's never foolproof. Those who question this I think ought to watch a ufo episode that the history channel aired called, "UFO's, Then and now?". I think it really proves that the same exact objects we see today are the same they were yesterday in many ways. They showed many hundreds of years old paintings showing flying saucers 100% the same as modern ones. Now, I am not a believer that ufo's are from space in any way as odd as it may sound coming from a believer. They aren't always natural anomaly, Not aliens, & certainly not man made.

So what could they possibly be? There is only one other logical answer to those options which those who are skeptic about aliens ought to think about. Ufology is really demonology. It is a fact that the two have a lot in common. And that the Alien explanation for ufo's has many bullet holes in it. Like pointed out earlier, Why won't they downright contact us? Why do they often avoid us? And certainly why do they do the occasional abductions of unspeakable evil? They are of darkness beyond a shadow of a doubt. Plus in certain ufo hotspots ufo's aren't the only paranormal activity that goes on. There's been sightings of ghostly beings and bizarre and indestructable animals with unusual features from credible sources like cops who were called to investigate. Such beings have no definite shape nor form. They assume whatever they want as they wish. Which ranges from phantoms to metallic objects and formless lights that could never be an E-T's form of transportation. Ufo's are not machines nor of technology but of super-natural origin. Why else could they morph and change shapes and simply vanish?

It's a certainty since they are the ones of darkness and deception that they'd want to mislead us as to their true origin. What better way than to make us believe they are from space? No offense intended to those who will disagree, But I believe and agree with the results of project blue book by the government. Ufo's are not of outer space origin nor a threat to national security. Sorry about being long winded, But I do believe new ideas are worth a thought. So for me SETI continues.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And if you go further back in time, UFOs give way to demons...

This is particularly visible in the phenomenon of sleep paralysis and the associated hypnopompic and hypnagogic hallucinations. A few hundred years ago (and earlier), it was interpreted as the incubus and succubus demons. In the age of spiritualism up to modern day in some parts of the population, it was/is interpreted as ghostly visitations (and as an occasional sufferer, it's easy for me to see why!). From, say, the 1940s onwards, it was interpreted as alien abductions.

The aliens themselves also seem to reflect changes in popular culture.
I would agree with you here.

Since I do research in the paranormal field and personally know several level-headed investigators and demonologists, I believe that demons are alive and kickin'. But your observations about sleep paralysis are correct. About 80% of all claims of paranormal activity can be dismissed, and with demons being by far the most rare occurrence, close to 95% of claims of that nature can be dismissed.

Most of the time, sleep paralysis is accredited to incubbus and succubus demons (with the incubbus being the most common; succubi generally do nothing more than drain energy.)

I only know of one case where an actual inccubus was involved. The investigator who was responding to the client's call was working on obtaining medical records to see if she had a history of psychological problems and/or sleep paralysis. He decided to lay down on her bed to see if he could get any of the same sensations, and he experienced the exact same thing. It was a little unsettling for him because again, sleep paralysis is exponentially more common than inccubi. The house was exorcised and the problem ceased.

Now that I've veered completely off-topic, let's refocus.

bujin

Reaction score
Certainly unusual, eveningsky! I used to do paranormal research too for a few years, but I've always been a sceptic.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Certainly unusual, eveningsky! I used to do paranormal research too for a few years, but I've always been a sceptic.

Being a skeptic is always preferable to being a blind believer, in my opinion. :)

I believe I may have just hijacked this thread. Enough of this demonology!

Has anyone seen the movie Fire in the Sky? And if so what did you think about it?

fireintheskycover.gif

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've seen it but it must be at least a decade ago, so I have very little recollection of it!
Most of the movie was basically slowly building suspense and mystery after the disappearance of Travis Walton, but the final fifteen minutes or so are no doubt the most terrifying moments I have ever seen courtesy of Hollywood. :censored: