Fort Churchill, Canada, Information Request

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was recently working on a project centering around launch sites of the fifties and sixties, when I came upon this facility. Let me let my friend Wikipedia describe it:

Fort Churchill is a rocket launching complex located in Churchill, Manitoba at
18px-Erioll_world.svg.png
58°44′03″N, 93°49′13″W. The site has been used on and off since the mid-1950s for sub-orbital launches of various sounding rockets during several major studies.
The complex was first built in 1954 by the Canadian Army to study the effects of auroras on long distance communications. The program shut down in 1955, but the site was re-opened and greatly expanded in 1956 as part of Canada's participation in International Geophysical Year. Launches for the IGY experiments started in 1957, and the site was closed again in December 1958 when the IGY, which was actually two years long, ended.
The site was reopened again in August 1959 by the US Army as part of its network of sounding rocket stations. In September 1959 it was used to test CARDE's new solid fuel propellant systems with PVT-1, the vehicle that would evolve into the Black Brant. However in late 1960 a fire destroyed many of the facilities. It was announced that the Black Brant test series would be continued with an additional twelve launches at NASA's Wallops Island during 1961-62, while the facilities at Churchill were rebuilt.
The US Army ended its involvement at Fort Churchill in June 1970, and the site was taken over by the Canadian National Research Council to support the Canadian Upper Atmosphere Research Program. The site was used sporadically during the 1970s and 1980s, and was inactive by 1990.
Since 1985 the facility was practically deserted. All that remained was an airport, a railway, some offices (Chamber of Commerce office), an eco-tourism centre and a geomagnetic observatory. Over the years over 3,500 sub-orbital flights were launched from the site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have or can point me to a more complete history of the facility? (Especially the 1960 fire.) And of course, period photos and a layout would be a big help in any modeling I do...

This was apparently a major sub-orbital launch facility, and I have to admit I am coming up pretty dry searching online for info, so any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

Kodiak

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have to admit I am coming up pretty dry searching online for info, so any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

if you aren't having much luck with the net try the DND or CSA websites

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/contact_e.asp

http://www.space.gc.ca/asc/eng/form_info.asp

Outline exactly what you want, and what you intend to use it for, in your request for information. I know the DND does send out photocopies and dvd-r's of the information you want, so you might get an e-mail asking for your home address.

an e-mail to the government of Manitoba's aerospace website might help

http://www.manitoba-aerospace.mb.ca/

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the links! I was hoping somebody here would have the inside scoop on this facility, but maybe the official route will get me the info I need.

Thanks again!