Framerate drop in wierd situations, and max framerate question

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi. I have the new Asus G51Vx, with an Intel 2.0 duo core, 4GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM, and a GeForce GTX 260M with 1GB. And Windows Vista home premium. I have the outer planets installed, and in a scenario when I'm on, say Titania (moon of Uranus), the framerate is 60, but when I turn the camera towards Uranus (which is hanging about 30 degrees above the horizon), the framerate drops sharply to 19. Also, whenever I turn on Planetarium, the framerate always cuts in half. I am not using Vistaboost because I have disabled all cleartype options manually.

Also, part 2 of the question, I get 60 fps with 16xQ from inside the XR1 virtual cockpit looking at Seth Eden's level 10 Earth Textures. I also get 60 fps outside using a Shuttle PB with the base package (level 8 earth) and zero antialiasing. Obviously, after 60 fps, the video card stops trying to create a better framerate. Is there any way to override this setting (on my desktop I got into the hundreds with the PB situation, but 10 fps in the VC of the XR1 as described above with no antialiasing)

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Also, whenever I turn on Planetarium, the framerate always cuts in half.
Sounds like the Vista GDI drawing issue: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=7356&highlight=GDI

Obviously, after 60 fps, the video card stops trying to create a better framerate. Is there any way to override this setting (on my desktop I got into the hundreds with the PB situation, but 10 fps in the VC of the XR1 as described above with no antialiasing)
There should be a setting to turn "vertical synchronisation" on/off in your video card settings.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
There should be a setting to turn "vertical synchronisation" on/off in your video card settings.

If you have a LCD screen or similar, this is not advisable though.
With VSync on there is one frame for each time the screen is actualy updated. You might get noticable stutter and/or tearing of the image if you disable it.