Freemail providers?!? Mine is FUBAR

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Hello fellow orbiteers.

I have had my email address at GMX.de for a very long time. I registered there back in the days, when they were still cool and not too small to be gone by the next day.
Well, they did not vanish. On the contrary. They grew, packed more and more ads on their site, incorporate ads in their so called news portal, resell crappy DSL etc. etc. So Basicaly, they have become a very unsympathic corporation.

I was fine with that as I don't check the webinterface so often and know the graces of fetchmail and poppeeper.

So now let's get to the topic at hand. Since this month I am not recieving any mails from orbiter-forum.com. I did not notice until I got a friend to register and he did not recieve his confirmation mail at the same provider.
I thought this might have something to do with moving to the dedicated server and it might be a general problem. Turns out it isn't.
Then I figured, I just send a mail to the support of GMX and they will fix it.
Since I never had a problem with GMX before in my endless years there this was a valid assumption.
There I was thinking it would take me 10 seconds to get the proper address which would be [email protected] anyhow. After 5 minutes of browsing their site I realised they did not have any. All they got is support via phone. Not the good, free kind, the bad kind. The kind they make money from. Not only that, if you choose DSL support you have to pay more than if you choose email support.

After the following puking, I tried sending an email to the support at my guestimated address. Promptly their mailer daemon returned it to me.

I am fed up and want to get a new primary mail provider.
I want to avoid awfully huge companies like Microsoft, Yahoo, Google etc.
I want it to be there in 2 years.
I want attachements to be able to be at least 16 MB in size.
I need retention of at least 30 days.
I need at least 120 MB space in my account.
I need a webinterface, POP3/SMTP and if they offer IMAP, that would be awesome.
It has to be free.

I am looking forward to reading about your experiences and recomendations.

Happy Orbiting

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
If you want free I would go with yahoo or hotmail personally. Although you mentioned you want to avoid them I've never had any issues with them over many years of using it and receive all my mail. You may also try gmail, though I've personally never had an account there.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I would try yahoo. Experienced it for a long time and not a single problem. Or you could try hotmail. They are almost the same.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Thank you Bj.
Lavabit seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
If I am paranoid (and I am sometimes) I use hush.ai
I am officialy switching over to lavabit.com now. They have a support email address and the folks there are most friendly.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for creating this thread. I was using Lycos, but I'm done with all the problems I have with them. The only thing I expect them to do - deliver mail - is unreliable.

I actually considered using GMX (I also want to avoid microsoft, yahoo and google), but I'll now consider lavabit too.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
So far lavabit has been exceeding my expectations. I can absolutely recommend them.
btw: GMX puts ads in your outgoing mail.