Funny ooops moments

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Today I was about to launch the Space Shuttle Ultra, For some reason, I managed to forget that the warp was x10000, So As soon as I ignited the engines, I was out of fuel, with Atlantis spinning at rates that might defy the laws of Physics, and moving about 950AU Per Second. Oops.

Reaction score
Today I was about to launch the Space Shuttle Ultra, For some reason, I managed to forget that the warp was x10000, So As soon as I ignited the engines, I was out of fuel, with Atlantis spinning at rates that might defy the laws of Physics, and moving about 950AU Per Second. Oops.
Wow, that's about 474,000 c! I think that's the highest speed I've ever heard about in orbiter. It would only take about three weeks to reach the center of the galaxy. :blink:

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Here's the 95 kilometer ACME tether-sling test entering into atmosphere. The lesson here is don't have typos in your RVEL fields.
{Images}
It might make a good light-bulb advertisement!

Ener-G-Max lightbulbs: bright enough to kill 78,000,000 people!

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Today I was about to launch the Space Shuttle Ultra, For some reason, I managed to forget that the warp was x10000, Oops.

How could you forget with several Orbiter days going in a second?

Ener-G-Max lightbulbs: bright enough to kill 78,000,000 people!
Was that the SWAT team? No, it was my new Ener-G-Max lightbulb failing :rofl:

Adam

Reaction score
My bigest ooops moment was aerobrakeing over moon :D

this is my first post on that forum btw.
Hi everyone

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Wtf I have only posted 2 times :(

apollo13

Reaction score
Dude, us here, can only post once, not twice...either way, welcome!

Some pretty laugh out loud pictures there!

SilvaHeed

Reaction score
Once, while I was on a trip to Saturn in Vespucci, before I even had a chance to set myself up for orbital insertion, I actually hit Rhea!!! :lol:

I was only interested in Saturn at the time and was keeping an eye on the orbital path past Saturn. I thought I had plenty of time before I needed to manouvre for orbit-insertion, but suddenly found myself spinning out of control after slamming at interplanetary speed into a dirty great moon!!

The chances of that happening after planning a TransX route from Earth must be absolutely tiny! It's never happened before or since, and although I found it funny later, I was a little miffed at the time because my last save was prior to the TransX burn in LEO :mad:

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
After a picture perfect launch of the DeltaGliderIV, I'm waiting in LEO to make my Trans Lunar Injection burn... I brought up IMFD, clicked TGT, and started to type "moon". Apparently I didn't actually have the textbox open because pressing the N key opened the canopy which of course depressurized the cabin and killed us all pretty quickly.

tomek

legal alien
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Should have used seat belts :whistle: (IIRC, in Dan's glider you are considered to be wearing spacesuit if you activate seat belts). And isn't there a safeguard you have to override to open the canopy?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I accidently put Intrepid to Launch at x100000 a bit ago..
Found it out of fuel, at spinning at godlike rates, and going 3x as fast as the speed of light.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
After ejecting from Martian orbit to phobos, I forgot to do a retrograde burn, and hit at about 17,000 MPH

SethEden

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.SethEden.com
Shuttle Re-entry

For me it was demonstrating a shuttle re-entry with the cargo bay doors open for a former NASA fellow.

Or the time I launched the shuttle with the MPLM attached to the RMS and hanging over the side. I think I got screenshots some place but can't take the time to go find em.

Seth

Dark_Fox

Reaction score
I accidentally entered the wrong heading into the DGIV's PRO903SPEC, tried to stop it by tapping the escape key a couple of times.....needless to say i had plenty of time to rethink that folly, as i gently came to earth.....

Dr Pepper

Soft Drink
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted here, might as well make this the first of the year!

My last "oops moment" happened quite recently. I was doing the DGIV 'Venus Weather' Mission. I had taken off, set up a beautiful trajectory with IMFD (perapsis before the orbit insert burn maneuver was about 300m above the center of Venus). Entered the orbit smoothly, skimming the very top of Venus' atmoshpere. I deployed the satallite and had a good look at Venus from 4M up through the eyes of the MMU dudes. I got everyone back on board and off we went, headed for home. After the ~180 day journey home, I was about 800M from earth, ready to do the last correction for the orbit insert. I was moving along at 100x time compression, but due to the lack of sleep (I had been up for nearly 20 hours), I hit the "T" key instead of the "R" key. By the time I noticed what had happened and reverted back to normal time, I was already about 80M on the other side of Earth.

Oh well, I'll just wait until I intercept Earth again, right? That's what I thought until I took a look at the Oxygen guage, which was something like this:

O2 Tank 1: 0%
O2 Tank 2: 17%

How it turned out: I was floating in space with all crewmembers asphyxiated.

The worst part: My last quicksave was right before the Ejection Burn from Earth.

My reaction: :censored:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
why did you not take a cargo pod for the dgiv?

Bullethead

Reaction score
Website
www.stormeaglestudios.com
My 1st shuttle launch, I didn't know the motors went full on and stayed there. So I hit and held down KP+. Slightly above the pad, my finger slipped to KP-. The SRBs kept going but the mains stopped. As a result, I did about 6 tight loops just above the top of the pad's tower while drifting off to one side ;).