OHM G42-200 StarLiner WIP1

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
and a number of bugfixes, so now you can actually use your OMS without taking forever to execute a 100m/s burn

also, one quick question about useage:

are the rockets used for orbit insertion? i do the insertion in two stages:
raise AP on the far side of earth
circularise orbit once i reach it

should i use rockets for the first one since im still in the atmosphere, then OMS for the second to save the main fuel in case of emergencies (like for emergency de-orbit or supersonic cruise to the landing site)?

thanks!

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and a number of bugfixes, so now you can actually use your OMS without taking forever to execute a 100m/s burn

also, one quick question about useage:

are the rockets used for orbit insertion? i do the insertion in two stages:
raise AP on the far side of earth
circularise orbit once i reach it

should i use rockets for the first one since im still in the atmosphere, then OMS for the second to save the main fuel in case of emergencies (like for emergency de-orbit or supersonic cruise to the landing site)?

thanks!

the rockets should power you through the last stage of the ascent, the ramcasters will not suffice in getting you up all the way, so you're doing it right, i believe....

as for circularizing at the "other side" i usually fly it like that too... it is possible to rocket up into a circular orbit all at once, tho it's tricky, and requires some rather precise flying :hmm:

make sure you engage the rockets at no less than 60k altitude... they don't perform as well inside atmosphere...

it helps if as soon as you go rocket-mode, you pitch up (like 10 degrees) to get more VS and clear the atmosphere faster...
i suspect you'd need to do that if your trying the launch-and-circularize trick... you should get your ApA up to where you want it, then adjust pitch (it goes negative) to hold it while you raise the PeA....

i've done it once - you always end up with a smile afterwards :lol: (or in bitter loads of shame :facepalm:)

once your up there (however way you do so) you can use the OMS to fine-tune your orbit - this will be required in future versions, as the rockets should have a non-zero minimal running thrust and would need spooling up and a bunch of stuff to get working...

Last edited:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
you should get your ApA up to where you want it, then adjust pitch (it goes negative) to hold it while you raise the PeA....

i've done it once - you always end up with a smile afterwards :lol: (or in bitter loads of shame :facepalm:)

Been there as well! :thumbup:

Try it with a DG at the moon, it's most fun seeing your orbital ellipse pivot about your position.

Also, mastering these radial burns is very handy... once you get the hang of it, you realise you have full control of your orbit, wherever you are.

AttitudeMFD actually has attitude holds for radial orientations (i.e. facing into the planet, away from it)... maybe that could be a stock feature on the G42's pit? :hmm:

BTW, is this the official active thread for the project now? the original thread hasn't had a lot of activity in a while now...

Cheers

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
you mean Zenith and Nadir (i think) orientation?

i think orbiter should have 6 main AP orientations: PG RG N+ N- and ZN NR, i found that ther's a sweet spot to burn at when you're on direct re-entry from the moon, about 0* pitch and 120* yaw on the orbit HUD, where you slow down, but your PeA doesnt change. this is useful to relieve some stress from your heatshield before plunging into the atmosphere, and makes it less likely that you'll rise back out of the atmosphere coz you didnt slow down quickly enough.[/monologue]

an MFD for calculating that attitude and holding it would be Mighty Fine indeed!

Crom

Reaction score
I've been monitoring these forums for many months but have never been compelled to comment on any addon till now. This is looking to be an awsome addition to anyones orbiter fleet. I personally prefer this type of craft, my vessels of choice usually XR-5 or the Tug Experimental, I can see them being replaced in the not too distant future.
The attention to detail in the VC is fantastic. I have hundreds of hours logged on MS flight sim and would be happy if many addon vc's in that software were up to this standard.
I have a few criticisms but I do not feel the need to post them as this is clearly labelled a WIP. I will wait for a final release before I impose my opinion on anyone.
In short, great high quality addon with a level of immersion sadly lacking in many others. I will watch this project with interest.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
I've been monitoring these forums for many months but have never been compelled to comment on any addon till now. This is looking to be an awsome addition to anyones orbiter fleet. I personally prefer this type of craft, my vessels of choice usually XR-5 or the Tug Experimental, I can see them being replaced in the not too distant future.
The attention to detail in the VC is fantastic. I have hundreds of hours logged on MS flight sim and would be happy if many addon vc's in that software were up to this standard.
I have a few criticisms but I do not feel the need to post them as this is clearly labelled a WIP. I will wait for a final release before I impose my opinion on anyone.
In short, great high quality addon with a level of immersion sadly lacking in many others. I will watch this project with interest.
:hesaid: I to am watching the progress very closely. Can't wait. I can visualize the finished version of this baby screaming down wide awake's runway in OMP :cheers:

FUN69

Reaction score
HELP

Nice bird
At least near-future, realistic spaceplane.
These are very rare.
Only complex vessels are: Deltagliders (4, XR1, XR2, XR5), your StarLiner and Explorer ( http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13400 )
ok the problem im having now that i got the star liner added is i can not get the thing off the ground..maybe i just need to understand the directions better,,i love the looks of this vessel its very life like. but i think i need to go to flight school to learn how to fly it>anyone know where i can get free flight training on this vessel lol..ok if anyone is able to help me get this vessel off the ground pls contact me on ts3 or just leave info on this thread ill keep checking back often. thank you and happy orbiting

raxo2222

Reaction score
ok the problem im having now that i got the star liner added is i can not get the thing off the ground..maybe i just need to understand the directions better,,i love the looks of this vessel its very life like. but i think i need to go to flight school to learn how to fly it>anyone know where i can get free flight training on this vessel lol..ok if anyone is able to help me get this vessel off the ground pls contact me on ts3 or just leave info on this thread ill keep checking back often. thank you and happy orbiting

Read readme file of StarLiner - it is in DOC folder.

Keatah

Reaction score
Off-topic, but also on-topic.

Near future spaceplanes make for the best add-ons. They are far away enough that the propulsion and capabilities are easily usable and versatile.. But also they're NOT so far off that those capabilities are magical and TOO easily used.

They are close enough to reality that you don't need to suspend too much belief that you're actually flying them for real, more or less.

Zilesio

Reaction score
Just one quick opinion about this G42-200: I just love it! but honestly I liked the old model's design better (the no-canard/full delta/no-vertical-rudder version)

it was just too beautiful and it'll keep being my favourite ship design in Orbiter.

Hence a question... why did you change design? and, is it still possible to download the latest evolution of that previous spaceplane and if so at what link?

thanx (^^)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
well, its on the actual thread here

Moach decided that there is no realism in a DG-like craft, and went for the more realistic approach, similar to the Skylon.

and the WIP4 of the G42-100 is still available somewhere, but i have the RAR if you want it

Dayderness

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello all2gether,

I am sorry that I have to ask although it has been handled already a couple times in this thread.

At first I am very new to this forum and also pretty new to Orbiter at all.
to make it short. I can not pretty much understand what the readme tries to tell me for startup sequence. I tried all the way as he mentioned but nothings happens nontheless.

This part confuses me most:
you gotta fire them up - flick the foremost row of switches on the center console all the way up,

I did..OK...lets see about what to do next.

then back down to center

what the hell is this supposed to mean?

(you could first toggle up the fuel pumps on the engineer side for practice -
that's not modelled now, but it will be next time),

makes sense...but where is it, I couldnt found it on the whole pit.

that'll turn the main engines ON

No, it doesnt...at least not for me. many of you guys saying that´s working...so I must missing somethings.

I´d apreciate it pretty much if someone could give me a bit better explanation than the provided one in the readme.

To the addonmaker:
This is an awesome looking addon, hope you still keep your hands on this to expand this one.

Thanks for helping me

regards

Dayderness

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Dayderness please remember that this is a WIP.

The switches the readme says to switch up are 3 way switches, they are CUT/RUN/Start positions. (no engine i know of keeps the starting mechanism connected whilst its running)

The Fuel pumps are below and to the right of the flight engineers panel.

allso you may need to switch the THR AUTH switch to main as well.

just as a note, I'm using WIP2

Last edited:

Dayderness

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This is what I´ve tried to do.
Is this the proper order of switches?

Fuel Pumps
img1.jpg

Engine setup
img2.jpg

but what is about the APU, which actuzally need to be run up at the very first...if available in WIP.
img3.jpg

There still happens nothings

Nontheless thanks for your reply. I know that this is still a WIP Project, nontheless was wondering why I can play around with all clickable switches and nothings happens.

Thanks and regards

Dayderness

EDIT:

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
The readme is out of date. Wait here, I need to test my screen recorder anyway...

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Well, since my screen recorder is on the fritz, I'll just post a list of what needs to be done.

(Items that are currently optional, but good to get into practice about as they will not be in the final version will be marked with a *)

Scenario used is the 'G42-200 RTG to ISS' scenario without the LaunchMFD parts

1. Launch Orbiter
2. *Turn on the system feed pump for the APU (just left of central control keyboard thing)
3. *Flick the APU control switch (left most on APU control panel, which is at the bottom of the central console) from cut to start, will auto-reset to run
4. *Turn on master fuel pumps right and left (above APU fuel pump switch)
5. Mode switch (central console below turbine cycle) to ext, will reset to central
6. Turbine cycle (central console, at the top) to start, will reset to run
7. Burner/Reheat (below Mode switch) on.
8. Throttle up to 100%
9. Pull back on the stick @ 200m/s
10. Once rate of climb positive, gear up and turn Burner/Reheat off

As far as I'm aware the Ramcaster controls are still in the same place and work the same as they did when the readme was written. The MFD like thing just to the left of the pilot, showing a speed/altitude graph is the ideal accent. Ignite ramcasters in the first circle, switch them to high in the second, and switch to rocket mode in the third.

I00I

Not from this world
Reaction score
Cant wait to try it..Thanks:
Portbluemorning.gif

Reaction score
The cabin light don't work and sometimes (well, most of the times in my case) I can't see any left hand side panels...is it a bug or a problem with Local lighting option? if so, darn, I can't turn that on or else it will crash the sim during loading process....