OHM G42-200 StarLiner WIP1

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
or perhaps just implementing a good in game help menu, which is well supported and used by other addons (check out well & nomatters work with the CTV/ATV/LTV spacecraft)

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
eventually i'll write a nice pilot's handbook... possibly in HTML format so you can browse around it more easily :rolleyes:

i just might recruit some help from our brave test pilots when the time comes for that, ppl tend to write better tutorials than authors, for some reason :lol:

Ark

Reaction score
The documentation definitely needs work, this thing should have a proper pdf manual with a road map of the switches and what they do.

The aerodynamics don't sit too well with me, it tends to do the roller coaster climb-and-dive during the ramcaster phase unless I babysit the attitude. Either the aerodynamics should be tweaked so that it settles into a proper attitude by itself, or it needs an onboard XR-like attitude hold autopilot that doesn't depend on an outside MFD.

The text for the fuel display and ramcaster display needs to be a lot bigger. Don't make me change the FOV every time I want to check how much gas I have.

This shouldn't be news, but the various engine switches should have feedback lights. Visual cues are needed for what engines are active.

Exterior texture is fugly. This isn't news.

No cockpit lights? I need to be able to see switches once I'm in orbit and in the dark.

The cockpit looks very, very good, and most of the switches work even if they aren't "connected" to any systems yet. It'll be interesting to see how the project continues from here. It's a good start, but far from done. At least you seem to appreciate the size of the undertaking you've gotten yourself into. :lol:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
perhaps in a more advanced state, i could add an in-sim manual...

Isn't that what the EFB (electronic flight bag) is for?
That little thingy should be perfect for displaying procedure checklists and all that...

Actually, it might even be interactive... as in, it colors switches green when they're in the proper position, and red if they need to be flicked.

Oh, and BTW, you should definitely come check out this perfect world of mine where no one has anything else to do besides our own hobby projects. :thumbup:

Cheers

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Ark, you obviously didn't look up! :rofl: Thats a hell or a lot of switches that can't be moved yet! But I do agree that a cockpit map would be nice, and status indicators. Moach, if you make a map for the documentation, you can shade in the switches that don't move yet, and the switches that move but haven't been wired in, so we know.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ark, you obviously didn't look up! :rofl: Thats a hell or a lot of switches that can't be moved yet! But I do agree that a cockpit map would be nice, and status indicators. Moach, if you make a map for the documentation, you can shade in the switches that don't move yet, and the switches that move but haven't been wired in, so we know.

i have actually thought of that - next versions should have slightly darker switches where they don't really do anything....

i had also thought of some sort of color-coding for indicating which ones have a 3-stop machanic, which are fitted with auto re-center, and whatnot.... :hmm: could be useful, i guess

i've corrected the VC lighting issue - now all the panels are self-lit, so they are readable in whatever lighing conditions you fly yourself into :thumbup:

i was also considering how cool it would be to make differently-lit versions of the VC panel textures, then switch them as you toggle the lights... :rolleyes:

but more importantly, we need a proper EICAS setup, and that's what i'm busying myself with whenever i get a break from that whole "real life" thing... i should also look into getting those canards and landing gears to actually affect flight when out :cheers:

Ark

Reaction score
Am I the only one with a "quivering" problem on the ground? I taxied forward in the stock scenario and turned to my launch heading, then waited for my window. While in high time acceleration, the G42 vibrates and yaws to the right, and the airspeed indicator won't go all the way down to 0.00. I've seen this on ships with buggy contact points before. No autopilots active, and no reason to believe any thrusters are active.

EDIT: I think I figured it out, is that the idle thrust from the turbines? It goes away when I kill the jet engines and shut the intakes.

Also, during flight it seems to roll to the right on it's own, and I constantly have to correct the roll. Even in level flight the heading indicator creeps to the right.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
its already reported, its because the turbojets deliver an idle thrust, like real jet engines, which isnt enough to overcome inertia, though Moach says its fixed now

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been addressed. I installed the addon, and loaded up the scenario, and got ... nothing. the scenario loads, but the ship is not there. I have the orbiter default cockpit, and it indicates no fuel. When I switch to external view, there is nothing there, no mesh, no textures, but the spacecraft is listed in the switch craft list. Does anybody know what's going on?

Edit:

Should have read more of the thread first. I'll go post this in the bug report thread listed above.

Last edited:

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
looking great so far! :thumbup:

Maybe for the whole checklist thingy, the cockpit could have a display like the ones in a XR or DGIV that shows flight checklists???

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, ive read the whole topic but sometimes i miss things :p

just a thought :)

Anyways... Thanks for the amazing addon!! :cheers:

Last edited:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been addressed. I installed the addon, and loaded up the scenario, and got ... nothing. the scenario loads, but the ship is not there. I have the orbiter default cockpit, and it indicates no fuel. When I switch to external view, there is nothing there, no mesh, no textures, but the spacecraft is listed in the switch craft list. Does anybody know what's going on?

Edit:

Should have read more of the thread first. I'll go post this in the bug report thread listed above.
Yeah I had that problem at first. A flight computer similar to the DG would be nice, with similar displays that I find to be extremely helpful as well as autopilots that make things much easier and more convenient.

EDIT: We had the same idea at the same time! :cheers:

Mitchster

Reaction score
i got it up and all but... when i cut afterburn at 2.5km up i loose velocity alltogether and it becomes impossible to land ......

like a rock!

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That VC looks awesome. Going to have to download her tonight and take her for a spin. One suggestion I have out of the gate, since she's in the development stage and you aren't making detailed textures yet, I think it would look much cooler to have a baremetal skin on her like the Air Force birds from the 50's & 60's.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
Very good work Moach! :thumbup: You give us a working ship and not only nice pics like some other guys, where we are waiting for betaversions since years (i will not tell names or projects now :p ).
I tested it today, i fly it like a real prototype and my other ships, step by step to space. At first glidings, then small powered flights, landings without engines, flights to earth targets, suborbital flights, orbital flights and a complet mission with payload ect. It glides dreamfull like a feather and loses only small velocity. An excellent work. Its exactly so, how an real spaceplane has to be.
Its like a Skylon enhanged with a cockpit, but with easier flight handling. Skylon glides more like a rocket (but 10 times better than the space shuttle). A nice and sexy skin and your ship is like an diamond in front of ISS.

What kind of engine does it use, a sabre engine like Skylon or a scramjet?
I remember you did want a sabre engine but it looks more like scramjet now.

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Axel said:
What kind of engine does it use, a sabre engine like Skylon or a scramjet?
RAMCASTER (RAMX), a fictional combination RAM/SCRAM engine with a variable geometry inlet not unlike that envisioned for HOTOL. The G42-200 also has two combination turbojet/rocket engines for climb and orbit insertion, and two OMS engines for manoeuvering on orbit.

Shouldn't you know this if you've flown it? :p
raxo2222 said:
When WIP2 of it will be released?
Tuesday. :rolleyes:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
RAMCASTER (RAMX), a fictional combination RAM/SCRAM engine with a variable geometry inlet not unlike that envisioned for HOTOL. The G42-200 also has two combination turbojet/rocket engines for climb and orbit insertion, and two OMS engines for manoeuvering on orbit.

Shouldn't you know this if you've flown it? :p

Tuesday. :rolleyes:

but the RAMCASTERS aren't -completely- fictional :rolleyes: - they're actually based on existing projects such as this: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Falcon_Project"]DARPA Falcon Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

i mostly just gave it a cooler name :p

still, tuesday dounds just right :lol:... well, progress IS being made (as fast as real-life allows it)... WIP-2 is already set to include a working cargo bay with a nice shuttle-style docking port :cheers: