Gaming Galactic Divison game development. Need graphic designers!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Urwumpe, people know about project from it's directors. I've highly summarized info about it, because you have to hear the rest from devs.

Yes, but that is exactly the wrong kind of recruitment, since I don't have any reasons to feel tempted.

You don't say:
  • What the project is about
  • What I am supposed to do
  • What I am supposed to be capable of
  • What should qualify me
  • What should motivate me
Even when I applied for BlueByte last year, I had more information about the project at hand to decide.

luki1997a

Reaction score
  • What the project is about
  • What I am supposed to do
  • What I am supposed to be capable of
  • What should qualify me
  • What should motivate me

1. Project is about developing a game named Galactic Division.
2. You will have to complete your tasks like creating 3D models of spaceships or 2D menu elements or textures
3. You have to be good at 2D or (preferred)3D graphics.
4. As in point 3
5. Motivation is the being a game developer and learing to do some things which are needed to be one. Every person in project have acess to game source and can edit it. If you're a graphics designer you can write something to code and then publish your work. If the game would be sucess you can be proud of being it's developer ;P

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
2. Developers are experienced people and they are great at programming. One of them has experience in NASA. Others are as good as he is.

And? Maybe this impresses some schoolboys, but I worked at too many places to feel even a bit impressed by these three sentences.

1. I am also experienced and great at programming. Some others here are also much more experienced and greater. But I suck at project management, and that is a sucking on a high standard.

2. I have experienced at the German equivalent to NASA. Ask yourself how much this makes me respectable. I would not recommend only looking at who paid my bills, but for what he paid me.

3. They also have NASA experience? What do you think means he is good?

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

2. You will have to complete your tasks like creating 3D models of spaceships or 2D menu elements or textures
4. As in point 3
5. Motivation is the being a game developer and learing to do some things which are needed to be one. Every person in project have acess to game source and can edit it. If you're a graphics designer you can write something to code and then publish your work. If the game would be sucess you can be proud of being it's developer ;P

1. Replace "Galactic Division" by "XYZ". Does it help you understand what the project is about?
2. Or ... or... or... Will a C++ programmer make 2D menu elements?
3. I understand this sentence as "We don't even know yet how the game should look like." Disqualifies the project.
4. Disqualifies it even more, since you use your lack of knowledge about your own project as "advantage" for this project. Which it is absolutely not.
5. a) Translates to "You should have non-financial interests and be motivated alone by being part of a team doing nothing specific."
5 b) Everybody of a project allowed to edit the code gives me a bad bad bad headache. I can already imagine what happens there.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok a few more questions from me.
The site says that alfa 0.2 has been released so does that mean you have something that's already at least partially playable? If so can you post screenshots from that gameplay?
Do you have any concept arts you could show?
Oh, and if it's not a problem, what's the average age of the developers in your team?

Last edited:

luki1997a

Reaction score
And? Maybe this impresses some schoolboys, but I worked at too many places to feel even a bit impressed by these three sentences.

1. I am also experienced and great at programming. Some others here are also much more experienced and greater. But I suck at project management, and that is a sucking on a high standard.

2. I have experienced at the German equivalent to NASA. Ask yourself how much this makes me respectable. I would not recommend only looking at who paid my bills, but for what he paid me.

3. They also have NASA experience? What do you think means he is good?

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

1. Replace "Galactic Division" by "XYZ". Does it help you understand what the project is about?
2. Or ... or... or... Will a C++ programmer make 2D menu elements?
3. I understand this sentence as "We don't even know yet how the game should look like." Disqualifies the project.
4. Disqualifies it even more, since you use your lack of knowledge about your own project as "advantage" for this project. Which it is absolutely not.
5. a) Translates to "You should have non-financial interests and be motivated alone by being part of a team doing nothing specific."
5 b) Everybody of a project allowed to edit the code gives me a bad bad bad headache. I can already imagine what happens there.

The fact that main dev has experience in NASA is not for impressing but to show he's not a hobby programmer, but he is great at it. Does NASA offer a job where you make programs for ISS which can decide about crew's safety, to beginners? It's sure that someone who has this job is really experienced.

These 5 points I gave weren't just for you but for all people interested in help. If you are a C++ coder you can help too. If you want I can direct you do project's director.

1. please read this: INFO :)

3. You understood it wrong. If you are good at 2D then you will make textures etc. if you're good at 3D you will make models.. if you're good at C++ you'll be coding. We know what are we doing and what are we going to do.

4. This is not a lack of knowledge. I understood it like 3. What should i know? 4. What should i know to be in project? Sorry for that.
5. You know C++.. Do you think you can make whole engine for AI to build a base, hide before player, fight w/ him and also program a game to be connecting to a database, using precisious physics engine? For example main dev's motivation is gaining bigger experience in very advanced AI programming, which would be useful for him. For me motivation is to polish my graphic development and C++ skills.
Motivation is mostly skill polishing. If you want to earn money then don't even talk with me :) That's not the point of the project.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The site says that alfa 0.2 has been released so does that mean you have something that's already at least partially playable?

Site? What Site? did I miss a link?

luki1997a

Reaction score
Ok a few more questions from me.
The site says that alfa 0.2 has been released so does that mean you have something that's already at least partially playable? If so can you post screenshots from that gameplay?
Do you have any concept arts you could show?
Oh, and if it's not a problem, what's the average age of the developers in your team?

1. I'll post screenshots later
2. here is menu concept
3. Idk exact age, but I can say that min age is 15(afaik). project is managed by adult people. Core is also written by adult people. Others are 16-17 and about that.

jedidia, yes you have missed a link :)
follow this: gdgame.pl

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The problem I see with 2D vs 3D is, that you are talking about completely different game concepts. You can make a 2D game with a 3D engine, but not the other way around, and that way you don't make use of 3D features.

You decide 2D or 3D early in development, because it defines how the user interaction can be like.

Just saying: We are not sure yet if we should do 2D or 3D, but we have already an alpha version, means for me:

Danger

You are starting enthusiastic, but not with a goal to achieve.

luki1997a

Reaction score
The problem I see with 2D vs 3D is, that you are talking about completely different game concepts.

Game is in 3D. There are arleady some 3D elements. It's an FPS game.

As I've said if you are good at 2D then you can make textures for 3D models. If you are good at 3D modelling then you can make models etc.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As I've said if you are good at 2D then you can make textures for 3D models. If you are good at 3D modelling then you can make models etc.

If I am good at cooking, do you need a cook? :tiphat:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Umm no :lol: But you think right ;) You can be 2D or 3D designer, or a coder :thumbup:

OK, now the German way to explain things:

You have to tell for which task you need which kind of persons, and how many you actually need.

Thus my question for the cook: You don't need one to make your project, but unless you say what you need, you will get what you don't need.

Also, I have now read the info on my smartphone (polish isn't my strong side, luckily it is in English), but I can't say that I really see it.

luki1997a

Reaction score
Thus my question for the cook: You don't need one to make your project, but unless you say what you need, you will get what you don't need.

Did you read thread's title? :tiphat:

Project INFO:
Code:
BACKGROUND INFORMATION

First Outline

/ / (?) - Means to change, or things to discuss.

The game will be role playing game with elements of strategy. You start your adventure on the basis of the space, which is located in orbit around the Earth, and for about 30 hours playing his role will be to get the first, simplest of the vessel to be able to start traveling to neighboring planets.

During this period, will be able to acquire weapons of a modern weapon (such as COD), walk around the map, engage in side quests (about 10) and one major, leading to the possession of the ship.

In the course will learn about the history of the planet since 2000 (?) Years and what is in the area.

Map of the game should be very large, with about 50 seats (let's call them systems) will be generated statically, the rest is generated automatically, and their number will grow as the number of people playing the game.

The player should be able to acquire their own planet, and in the later stage of waging war for territory.

The planets and around them - on the space stations - should be in different buildings - producing different items, food etc. ..

The player should be able to trading everything (food, weapons, ships, etc. ..), and also have our own factory (after a long game)

The game can be divided into several stages (times are approximate, as come it will come out):
First The game based on the space (~ 30h)
Second Playing on a single vessel (~ 30 hours)
Third Getting a fleet of ships and plays them (~ 30 hours)
4th Getting the individual planets (~ 30 hours)
5th Acquisition systems (~ 30 hours)
6th Getting the galaxies (the rest)

In this way the game will not be bored, because at every level of the game will be a lot of differences.

Second Outline of the plot.

Earth, 2046r. a new type of weapon - Weapons SEISMIC, unfortunately, with the development of this weapon, overestimated its strength, just as it was in testing thermo-nuclear weapons and when the experiment was deep machine overload, and the energy liberated itself violated the stability of the core. The result was a series of devastating volcanic eruptions that changed the whole southern hemisphere in a fiery hell. The clouds of dust and hot ash reached the northern hemisphere, about fifteen thousand of the richest, most influential have time to evacuate the space station, which had already been adapted to handle large numbers of people and covered most of the orbit.
Polish-German space station (Poles offer scientists, some funding and execution. Germany is the best neighbor) is one of the best, next to the Japanese and American.
Here, a series of events takes place and the player moves back in time to own a year + / - 2166. Then the already colonized Mars (small base to a few hundred people), several asteroids and expanded fleet of space. As a source of energy used is derived from the asteroid and the Earth's residual uranium, but replaced him a new technology based on a foreign atom an element - SOHLONIE. In addition, the planets and asteroids are carried out decades earlier developed at the Polish-German station cold fusion in order to obtain fixed energy.

Mars: It turns out that she lived on the planet long ago civilization that an asteroid has been decimated. Previously developed space technology, however, somewhat different from Earth, and their representatives went in different galaxies (? - Probably somewhere in one way) to find a new home.
Mars will be a playable race, with a slightly different technology, based on similar mechanics in the game, and other models.

(?) RACE III: Drecer: They live in symbiosis with trees, on their home planet will be great to collect rain tree leaves produce a side effect such as the energy stored in the veins of acid branches, this race invented the reactions of some element of this acid, by so you can use it to drive vehicles, machinery, and also as a basis for weapons. They are able to move these trees to other planets, where the change (trees) climate. They are very resistant, etc.

Latest news:
There will four races and five key attributes of skills.
Tree selection skills will be based on a similar scheme as: LINK
For test: strength, dexterity, learning, charisma, strength, happiness (?)

Third Fig technical

The game will be a game written in C + + with using the Irrlicht engine and technology IrrBullet psyche.
The game will be dynamic, most of the graphic interface based on 3D.
The game engine, which processes the information is written in C + + and will communicate with the rest using sockets or directly to the database.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Which tells me nothing. Whats it about? whats the goal? storyline? is it orbiter like, star wars like, evochron like or something else?

Is there an existing list of tasks? Ships, models, etc that need to be created?

What sort of 3D? DirectX? Something else?

5. Motivation is the being a game developer and learing to do some things which are needed to be one.

What about in game credit?

Every person in project have acess to game source and can edit it.

Sounds dangerous to me. Isn't there one person who is responsibile for the overall condition of the code base? Has it been branched at all? Whats the language used?

If you're a graphics designer you can write something to code and then publish your work. If the game would be sucess you can be proud of being it's developer ;P

But isn't the point to have a graphics designer who isn't a programmer?

luki1997a

Reaction score
Whats it about? whats the goal? storyline? is it orbiter like, star wars like, evochron like or something else?
Is there an existing list of tasks? Ships, models, etc that need to be created?
What sort of 3D? DirectX? Something else?
What about in game credit?
Sounds dangerous to me. Isn't there one person who is responsibile for the overall condition of the code base? Has it been branched at all? Whats the language used?
But isn't the point to have a graphics designer who isn't a programmer?

1. In previous post I gave information about the game.
2. There's an existing list of tasks. At the time task for graphic designers is to make a menu. Incoming tasks will be like creating models and textures.
3. AFAIK OpenGL. I'm not core designer.
4. Of course, there'll be a in game credit.
5. There are 3 persons taking care on public code. There are backups of it of course. Source is on GIT. Language is C++.
6. If you are a graphics designer and know C++ you can work on code too. If you are a graphics designer and don't know C++ then you haven't to work on code.

Why do you ignore my posts??? Why does admin asks me things, which I've said about in previous post as well as in older ones? Something's really wrong here. I feel ignored.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
actually, to give the information Garyw requested from you:

They plan using Irrlicht Engine with IrrBullet binding... approximately my own choices as well for such a project. Irrlicht is both OpenGL and DirectX and very fast...and easy to use. The blob of text hides such information, it needs some seeking.

What I dislike in the pretty coarse game concept. There is little that can be used for defining a use case. It is more about the technologies that it should use and the view, that should be visible, but less about how the player actually does things.

It feels really like too much is attempted at once.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Luki, as a game developer myself, I would advise you guys to publish something about the game as soon as possible, no matter how unfinished it is.

You guys have enough web power to get a site up in a few days. Even if it's just a one-page thing to let people know the project exists, with a few lines describing the overall concept. You don't have to share any state secrets, but we need to know what the game is about.

Otherwise, I'm afraid the general response to any recruitment effort, other than on job sites, where you're likely to only find people who don't really care about the project itself (trust me, it makes all the difference), will be the response you're getting now. People won't be interested until you give them something tangible that proves the project is a serious effort.

Also, by publishing early, you'll get feedback from those who will probably be your playerbase when you release, and that's very valuable information to have at an early phase, because it allows you to refine the project based on what people expect it will be, and let's face it, what the players want is what counts in the end.

From what I could glean off the conversation, it does seem there are a few gaping holes in the concept or the development planning. That might not be the case... you guys might know what it's all about over there, but we only know what you tell us, and from what we heard, it seems you guys haven't got a very complete concept.

By concept I mean not just the narrative and gameplay goals, but also the technical plan to achieve those goals. Are you using an existing engine, or are you rolling your own? Is the game going to be fully 3D, 2.5D a la Little Big Planet, or mostly 2D with some 3D elements? Do you have any concept art to show us what it would look like?

Publishing information about the game should help you guys out a lot. Not just with generating some interest from potential players, but also to help iron out any conceptual flaws, which are easy to tweak at the very early phases of development, but could break a project if left unchecked. Having a fledgeling community around the project can also help its security in the future. It's much harder to fail if there are people who support your idea and want to see it become real.

Well, that's my advice to you guys. I hope it's useful.

Best of luck on your project. :)

Cheers