Halo Physics

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
OK so what if project Halo has stopped, we can try to recreate it. Also slip streem jumps can be that accurate. Assuming that most ships even use a slip stream jump. Halo 3 is based of physics, the mac cannon is actually a rail gun. Rail guns have unimaginable top speed on average a small one has somewhere around a 21,000 miles per second top speed. Also though the halo 3 has mentioned slip streem jumps it only mentions FTL drives which is a very generic term that stand for Faster than Light. Also slip stream jumps can be that accurate, look at halo wars for that example. However the reason for the lack of interplanetary jumps is that according to Einstien, gravity is actually a disruption in the fabric of space time. So when entering a "slip stream" which also a very generic term gravitional forces interfer with the jumps causing major problems. The slip stream could be come unstable for one and possible collapse. In addition gravity can bend the slip stream to make the warp factors random and unpredictable. Although the UNSC fleet is equiped with short range warp drives that uses a much more low power method of warp dirve one would assume that allows for short term travel. (That or a gravitional stabilizer)That explains the FTL problem hopefully. Although the orginal halo project got cancelled there i no reason we can not create our own meshes, textures, and modules. Come on we are website of hundreds of the best addon developers for Orbiter out there. I am some what of Halo 3 ship fanatic and can give you dozens of Halo ships, and stats for you game. I love to forge diffrent ships on Halo 3 and I will do anything I can to aid this project. If you need to know anything about Halo 3 or quantuam warp theory (or other parts of physics) let me know.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Ok, lol this goes along with whats possible, In Halo 2 when something explodes in space the explosion move through space then you can hear it on another space craft (station or ship).

Same deal with the books, I know this is kind of a physics question more than a Halo question, but if an explosion produces a gas, then that gas is sent outwards by the explosion, could it theoretically cause a sound to be transfered to the ships hull, then heard by the inhabitants?

Anyway, I would like to see at least a starter addon for halo weapons, velcro style, Just imagine, the ISS with a M.A.C. Cannon.
If there was enough gas than yes. Also the shock wave and shards of debris would make alot of noise if they banged against you hull. Yes there is noise in space, you may know it as static. There is no "airless void in space" just a very very very very low low low low amount of air inmeasurably low for that matter. So thus if you heard it on the ship and there was not a sufficent amount of gas released than, the sound would have to be expotientally loud. I mean very very very very loud. ;)

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Right... but would a nuclear warhead really work in space? I mean the M.A.C and archers might stretch whats possible, but a nuke?

Oh, and I almost forgot about the fact that UNSC ships have a bridge located in the center of the ship, with video displays of space... how would that play out in Orbiter?

Also nukes are basically a cahin reaction of releasment of energy and will work in a vaccum.
Yes, yes and no.
Covenant bridges are located in the center of the ship.
UNSC Control rooms are in the center, that navigation bridge is on the bottom.;)

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

a UMMU with a plasma rifle LOL!

...Wait thats an idea why doesn't someone make a UMMU skin for the Master chief or the Arbiter or the marines?
Marines do not go into space, ODST, EVA (which are specielly trained spartans, although dued to the lack of spartans ODST now fill in);)

Dambuster

Reaction score
Glad to see we seem to have another Halo fan here! :D

Welcome to the forums!!!

I tried to make a Halo Longsword as my first addon, but it never came out to well and I gave up after a bit - I would have had to add on all sorts of parts, such as the landing gear, rudder etc, and I really didn't have the time. I seem to remember someone else tried a Pelican, not sure how it went, but if you search on Orbithangar you may find it there!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If there was enough gas than yes. Also the shock wave and shards of debris would make alot of noise if they banged against you hull. Yes there is noise in space, you may know it as static. There is no "airless void in space" just a very very very very low low low low amount of air inmeasurably low for that matter. So thus if you heard it on the ship and there was not a sufficent amount of gas released than, the sound would have to be expotientally loud. I mean very very very very loud. ;)

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------
Also nukes are basically a cahin reaction of releasment of energy and will work in a vaccum.
Yes, yes and no.
Covenant bridges are located in the center of the ship.
UNSC Control rooms are in the center, that navigation bridge is on the bottom.;)
Without atmosphere in vacuum there will be no shock wave.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html#nuke

That whole site, in fact, is a very useful one to read...

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
Without atmosphere in vacuum there will be no shock wave.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html#nuke

That whole site, in fact, is a very useful one to read...

True true but as I said a perfect vacuam is almost impossible to create I bet you will find a atleast 1 part per million of air, hopefully enough to create the most minsiqule sound

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Glad to see we seem to have another Halo fan here! :D

Welcome to the forums!!!

I tried to make a Halo Longsword as my first addon, but it never came out to well and I gave up after a bit - I would have had to add on all sorts of parts, such as the landing gear, rudder etc, and I really didn't have the time. I seem to remember someone else tried a Pelican, not sure how it went, but if you search on Orbithangar you may find it there!
The Pelican works great I tried it, the door dose not close, not textures, not attachment points, landing gear, atmospheric manuverbility is greatly limited so there is alot to work on be there is a long way to go

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
True true but as I said a perfect vacuam is almost impossible to create I bet you will find a atleast 1 part per million of air, hopefully enough to create the most minsiqule sound
Um....
No.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
if there is nothing whatsoever in space what causes the wierd smell when astronauts come back in from a space walk? i think there must be something, atomic dust maybe?

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
Um....
No.

Yes, there is 1 part of air per million if you are within one AU of an Earth sized planet it has been proven. Also the vaporized dust hiting the side of the ship is the main factor that causes the explosive like sound lets face it. There can be sound in space even if it takes a microphone the size of the building to hear it. (which has been done).

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Actually, there's a cutscene I remember in Halo 3 where you see a rear hatch closing.
Yes pelicans do have a rear hatch in Halo 3, however he is refering to the pelican availble via Orbiter Hanger Mods and it is a Halo 1 Pelican which dose not close all the way, this is because back then the pelican had an extendable rear door which was never shown on mods.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
also if a ship were to explode, all the fragments would have to go somewhere. the hull doesnt just magicly disapear. all of the debris and air from the ship would fly away at nearly the same rate of expansion of the explosion. this means that it would hit the hull of your ship uniformly. every impact from every spec of dust or debris or air would cause a vibration in the hull. sinse theres nothing to dampen the sound, for all of the poor bastards inside the ship i think it would be very very loud.

unless you have shields.......

ThatGuy

Reaction score
(Sort od off topic) Just a question: Isn't "parts-per" notation used to describe the relative concentration of a particular molocule in a given mass of substance?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, there is 1 part of air per million if you are within one AU of an Earth sized planet it has been proven. Also the vaporized dust hiting the side of the ship is the main factor that causes the explosive like sound lets face it. There can be sound in space even if it takes a microphone the size of the building to hear it. (which has been done).
1 part per million, what's the rest? "Part per million" is not the phrase you're looking for.

Also no. In order for sound to carry, the molecules need to be close enough in order for compression/expansion to be relevant in order to carry the sound wave.

With the extreme rarity of molecules in a vacuum, there is no compression or expansion to take place, and any movement is trivial.

If a nuke goes off 1km from a ship, there won't be much dust hitting the ship, assuming a random scattering across the surface of the 1km radius sphere.

I'm extremely curious as to where this was proven, and where this building-size microphone of yours was deployed in space. Please, provide a source.

(Sort od off topic) Just a question: Isn't "parts-per" notation used to describe the relative concentration of a particular molocule in a given mass of substance?
Yes, which is why "one part per million of air" makes no sense.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

also if a ship were to explode, all the fragments would have to go somewhere. the hull doesnt just magicly disapear. all of the debris and air from the ship would fly away at nearly the same rate of expansion of the explosion. this means that it would hit the hull of your ship uniformly. every impact from every spec of dust or debris or air would cause a vibration in the hull. sinse theres nothing to dampen the sound, for all of the poor bastards inside the ship i think it would be very very loud.

How far away from the ship are you? At any distance which would conceivably be used in space combat, very few pieces of the enemy ship would hit you.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
capital class combat happens fairly close. they also would be broadsiding. im sure enough debris would hit the side of the hull to make some kind of sound

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
capital class combat happens fairly close. they also would be broadsiding. im sure enough debris would hit the side of the hull to make some kind of sound
This is an extremely unrealistic and frankly stupid way of fighting in space, useful only for science fiction games and movies. I suggest you read through that "atomic rockets" page I linked earlier, it talks a lot about what space combat may actually look like. In WWII, naval ships were engaging each other at distances of several kilometers, and I see no reason why spacecraft would take all the time to move up close to each other when they could just as easily (and more safely) shoot from afar. This isn't the 18th century

Moreover, if you're fighting close enough to the enemy ship such that any significant amount of debris from their explosion would hit you, then you're Doing It Wrong.

Video games and sci-fi movies also like to give this impression that when something is destroyed, it completely vaporizes. Yeah...no, that's not how it works...

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
actually i said that it wouldnt vaporise. any depris would be large chunks. though u got me there, space combat wouldnt be up close. i was really tired when i wrote that. i remember reading the mass effect codex (because i dont have any halo to refer to) that the most efficient range for a capital ship railgun is 300km. at this range your targeting computer can easily determine the correct firing angle against enemy vector while also not giving your enemy enough time to move out of the way of the projectile.

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score

EXACTLY! The Covenant ship have shields but if the sheild hits the outter plasma window than it would cause noise on the air filled interior of the shield! On the other hand the UNSC ships do not have shield technology.

I am no Lawyer but as long as we site Halo 3 as our sources of inspiration I am pretty sure it is protected under laws the protain to artwork. Add-ons fall under the category of artwork

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

actually i said that it wouldnt vaporise. any depris would be large chunks. though u got me there, space combat wouldnt be up close. i was really tired when i wrote that. i remember reading the mass effect codex (because i dont have any halo to refer to) that the most efficient range for a capital ship railgun is 300km. at this range your targeting computer can easily determine the correct firing angle against enemy vector while also not giving your enemy enough time to move out of the way of the projectile.
Normally yes but covenant ships have shields. This gives them an advantage over UNSC ships. One covenant cruiser= 10 frigates, Covenant frigate =5 frigates. The invention of shields gives the covenant an advantage. The Covenant has 1 Cleansing beam and alot of plasma based weapons. Plasma weapons are notourisly inaccurate and very ineffective at long range. Also the MAC cannon does fire quickly. Only the Pillar of Autmn which has a heavily modified experimental mac cannon can fire several projectiles in succesion. On the other hand standard mac cannons can fire only 3 large shots very quickly and then has a truelly incredibly long cool down time. This is why close quarter engagemnets are commen.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

This is an extremely unrealistic and frankly stupid way of fighting in space, useful only for science fiction games and movies. I suggest you read through that "atomic rockets" page I linked earlier, it talks a lot about what space combat may actually look like. In WWII, naval ships were engaging each other at distances of several kilometers, and I see no reason why spacecraft would take all the time to move up close to each other when they could just as easily (and more safely) shoot from afar. This isn't the 18th century

Moreover, if you're fighting close enough to the enemy ship such that any significant amount of debris from their explosion would hit you, then you're Doing It Wrong.

Video games and sci-fi movies also like to give this impression that when something is destroyed, it completely vaporizes. Yeah...no, that's not how it works...

Well Halo 3 ships are very rarely truelly destroyed, the only way to make a ship vaporize itself is to damage to magnetic generator for fusion generator. This cause destablization of the reactor causing an imeadite implosion or in some case explosion of the fusion core. If the magnetic fore field regulator is damaged then I beleive it will go either go super nova or into an unstable blackhole. Eitherway your ship is as good as vaporized

If you even watched star trek, the used Antimater generators to power their ships. If you loose antimatter containment it will quite litterally vaporize your ship (and then some)

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Yes yes quite aware of that but I was refering that many fights against the covenant are to provent the covenant from glassing a planet, so many UNSC VS COVENANT Take place within 200km of the planet. Also Covenant ships function of a plasma force field, the escaping air can carry sound thus an explosion, I have only been referring to Covenant ships if the covenant ship is close enough you will hear what sounds like an explosion thru external microphone even though it is just dust hitting the microphone.

Either way this argument is void. I would recomend allowing some kind of explosion sound for Asthetic Apeall. In addition your website only proves my point if debris hits a space ship it will make sound.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

1 part per million, what's the rest? "Part per million" is not the phrase you're looking for.

Also no. In order for sound to carry, the molecules need to be close enough in order for compression/expansion to be relevant in order to carry the sound wave.

With the extreme rarity of molecules in a vacuum, there is no compression or expansion to take place, and any movement is trivial.

If a nuke goes off 1km from a ship, there won't be much dust hitting the ship, assuming a random scattering across the surface of the 1km radius sphere.

I'm extremely curious as to where this was proven, and where this building-size microphone of yours was deployed in space. Please, provide a source.

Yes, which is why "one part per million of air" makes no sense.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

How far away from the ship are you? At any distance which would conceivably be used in space combat, very few pieces of the enemy ship would hit you.

OK ONE I AM GETTING TIRED OF DEFENDING MY POINT

Second these building size microphones were deployed in the 1930 in an attempt to listen in on radio waves. They thought that might be able to hear radio waves on all frequencies at once which would be useful. Unfortunatly they were wrong however they did discover something, STATIC. Static is residual energy from the big bang, or in other words the echoes of the big bang.

If you do not believe me look it up.

Also I am not sure but I think they have smaller microphones deployed on satlittes although even I doubt that.

Second the other parts per million is ... wait for it...

DARK MATTER!!!:speakcool:

Even then I guess you are right but the escaping air from a damaged vessel can create noise if you are in cuaght in the "spray."

Once again it voids the point if we make an addon just let there be sound for asthetic appeal.
NOW STOP GETTING OF TOPIC
ALL WHO WANT TO HELP JUST PLEASE SAY SO ALL I WANT IS A HALO ADD ON! Not crytisim over every little detail.
PS I am not the guy who gives up an argument easily.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am no Lawyer but as long as we site Halo 3 as our sources of inspiration I am pretty sure it is protected under laws the protain to artwork. Add-ons fall under the category of artwork
Very possibly not, due to IP laws. You would need to talk to a real lawyer, or go and publish your stuff and I'm sure that if it's a violation, someone will be happy to talk to you.

Well Halo 3 ships are very rarely truelly destroyed, the only way to make a ship vaporize itself is to damage to magnetic generator for fusion generator. This cause destablization of the reactor causing an imeadite implosion or in some case explosion of the fusion core. If the magnetic fore field regulator is damaged then I beleive it will go either go super nova or into an unstable blackhole. Eitherway your ship is as good as vaporized

If you even watched star trek, the used Antimater generators to power their ships. If you loose antimatter containment it will quite litterally vaporize your ship (and then some)
Science fiction nonsense, anyway.

Yes yes quite aware of that but I was refering that many fights against the covenant are to provent the covenant from glassing a planet, so many UNSC VS COVENANT Take place within 200km of the planet. Also Covenant ships function of a plasma force field, the escaping air can carry sound thus an explosion, I have only been referring to Covenant ships if the covenant ship is close enough you will hear what sounds like an explosion thru external microphone even though it is just dust hitting the microphone.
I'm sorry, what? There's still no audible sound 200km above the surface of the Earth, and again if you're close enough to the enemy ship for debris to hit your ship you're Doing It Wrong.

OK ONE I AM GETTING TIRED OF DEFENDING MY POINT
And I'm getting tired of proving you wrong...

Second these building size microphones were deployed in the 1930 in an attempt to listen in on radio waves. They thought that might be able to hear radio waves on all frequencies at once which would be useful. Unfortunatly they were wrong however they did discover something, STATIC. Static is residual energy from the big bang, or in other words the echoes of the big bang.

If you do not believe me look it up.
Wait, in the 1930s they deployed microphones in space?

Disregarding that, you're thinking that "radio waves" are sound because when you tune in your radio you get sound. Not quite. Radio waves are a part of the EM spectrum (same as light) and have nothing to do with sound. A microphone does not pick up radio waves, a microphone picks up sounds. Radio waves have no sound.

Also I am not sure but I think they have smaller microphones deployed on satlittes although even I doubt that.
No one with enough money to put a satellite in orbit would put a microphone on it, because they're smart enough to realize that there's no sound in space.

Second the other parts per million is ... wait for it...

DARK MATTER!!!:speakcool:
I hope you're not serious.

Even then I guess you are right but the escaping air from a damaged vessel can create noise if you are in cuaght in the "spray."
If you are close enough to an enemy vessel when it explodes for the air to still be able to carry sound waves when it reaches you, you are Doing It Wrong.

PS I am not the guy who gives up an argument easily.
Yes, I've noticed. Your statements however come from a fundamental misunderstanding of what sound is, which is something you can easily correct if you care to do so.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
ok his microphone and dark matter bit was a bit off but from a capital ship battle POV. you must get close enough to fire off enough rounds to do critical damage while not giving the enemy time to move out of the way wich is rather fast with their advanced thrusters. that said yes you could make some accurate shots from over 1000km. if they sat on their ass ud nail them for good damage. but they wont sit on their ass and brace for impact... they will move out of the way. they also have FTL drives, they dont need to worry about getting a stable orbit or inclination. they warp in close enough to fire a few good shots and then duke it out until a ship is criticaly damaged or runs away.