Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Err... what are the features of the 1.5 update?

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
many things, and it's called the redstone update, there's something akin to a transistor there so we can finally build working elevators and improve efficiency on many things.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to the new sensors, particularly to the daylight sensor. I can redo the electric company in SkyCity. :)

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I imagine more rail/hopper/cart/chest systems. But optimizing existing circuits would be nice to see too.
And maybe some more people if the FPS claims are true. :lol:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So what are some possible uses for that Comparator?

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
it behaves like a transistor, according to the minecraft wikipage. So for example it can simplify gerdih's gatelock in IF by abondoning most of the piston mechanisms. Another would be to make a very compact elevator call button, and the rail track which can push people off will be very welcomed for elevator builders it seems.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And maybe some more people if the FPS claims are true. :lol:
Hahah, yeah, maybe now, on Tiny view distance and lowest possible graphics settings, I might get 5 FPS instead of 3 without mods. As long as Optifine is updated, hopefully Minecraft will still be playable for me after this update. :facepalm:

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
IDK though, in the past MC plays at 11 FPS, and now it stabilizes on 60 using default texture, and 40 - 50 using 32x texture packs, and back at 11 though if I use Glimmar's Steampunk even at 32x, man that texture pack really have a wealth of animations. (experienced on SSP only, on SMP it pretty much depends on my connection)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to the new sensors, particularly to the daylight sensor. I can redo the electric company in SkyCity. :)
You'll need to find and explore new chunks in Nether after the update to find quartz ore required for that. :p

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Support for high resolution textures
Every block will have its own texture file
There goes any performance improvement there.

The functionality of BUDs may be affected
Eliminating directional quirks
Most of the timings of redstone contraptions will change
Most of my complex redstone stuff is is going to need to be rebuild/redesigned.
the Tree farm is most likely going to stop working.

TNT Minecarts [10]
Monster Spawner Minecarts
:p

Nether Brick (item)
Obtained by smelting Netherrack
How long have i been waiting for this one.

i cant wait for this update.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Every block having own texture file...in PNG format. Mojang is definitely marching in the right direction here! :dry:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm hoping to start work on the SkyCity university this weekend... I have a plan laid out, now it's just a matter of execution. :)

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
can you please explain to us about the layout? and if you have made a blueprint either PM the three of us or post it in the screenshot thread?

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Eccentrus, I've placed all the sand/sandstone I own in a chest in the northwest corner of SkyCity, kinda near where the university is going. There's a sign marking it and I've given you permissions to access it. Go at it. :)

Also, yes, I'll try to put something together for schematics. :)

---------- Post added 01-12-13 at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-11-13 at 06:35 PM ----------

Alright, here's a few screenshots of my design of the university. Note that these screenshots do not show a completed structure, as I'm merely trying to convey the sense of what I'm going to build.

This first screenshot shows the layout of the main structure. It is a regular pentagon. The white dashed lines represent the edge of the road that will be closest to the university.

2013_01_11_23_56_29.png

This second image shows the front of the university, particularly the lower "atrium" level and the second floor. I only completed this wall of the second level, and only then to provide an idea of what I wish to do with it. The turret on the left is under consideration. I'd like to do a turret at each corner, but they always look ugly. Open to suggestions here.

2013_01_12_00_15_23.png

This is an image looking into the atrium. There will be lots of trees, benches, lights, and paths in the atrium. The idea is to make it feel "park-like" or similar.

2013A_01_11_23_56_02.png

This image is of the central staircase going up through out the building. I only did two levels of it, but there's no reason why it can't go up forever.

2013_01_11_23_56_50.png

Some other things not shown, but planned:

--At least one more additional level for classrooms, offices, laboratories, etc. Would like to go 3 layers above the atrium, but I'm not sure how many blocks high I can go on SkyCity without hitting the top.
--A dome at the top of the structure with a telescope. Astronomy department will be located there.
--Between each floor is a layer designed for placing redstone. Designed for powering lamps in ceilings, laboratory equipment, and the like. Also gives me the ability to make floors look different than ceilings, which is a pet peeve of mine (I like doing that but it takes more space).
--May include other features/constructs as suggested. :)

Any thoughts?

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
the sky city is at 200 height and the maximum is 256 so you have 56 blocks to play in the heights. I have also calculated that the length of the road is at least 80 so you should have plenty of rooms there :)

the powered lamps system does take a lot of room, that's the reason behind the very tall gaps of the Domus Rubra

btw you might want to play a lot more with materials, and go to wikipedia and search for philosophies of architecture and styles to refer to.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
the sky city is at 200 height and the maximum is 256 so you have 56 blocks to play in the heights.
Technically, it's only 54 blocks you can put atop the plate in height.

The stone brick slab plate is at 200, the first block you can place above (other than another stone brick slab, to make a double slab) is at 201 and the last is at 255 (level is 0 based).

Gerdih

Reaction score
I might be wrong but I remember or at least I think I remember a way to power redstone lamps without doing floors 3 blocks wide, anyone knows if im wrong?
Also there are tricks to power redstone lamps, quit all the redstone power wire and keep the redstone lamp on.