Houston Astros win first ever World Series title!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Can't believe you guys haven't posted about this yet! Houston, we don't have a problem. The Houston Astros FINALLY win the World Series! :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I still find it a bit confusing that the World Series has just two teams and no non-US-team by definition. :rofl:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's the diversity of the players. The best in the world.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's the diversity of the players. The best in the world.

We'll see :lol: AFAIK baseball will be olympic again in 2020. Cuba won too often for the USA there in the past. :rofl:

Marg

Reaction score
And 4 years ago Astros were really bad - at the bottom of standings. Some people also questioned their move to American League in 2013. But some guys can be happy - J.Altuve, G.Springer those who really played in Houston during those tough times. But not J.Verlander. I really dislike this situation when such players in the last moment are acquired and get "artificial" trophy. And what about that trade deadline 31st july? He should have stayed in Detroit... at least, I would accept it more, if he started the season in Houston.
Actually I noticed that in MLB players very often change ballclubs. In other 3 major sports leagues it happens not so frequently.
But there are opposite examples - Alex Gordon stayed in KC and 2 years ago was a winner.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
What's Baseball?

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What's Baseball?

N.

It's kind of like Cricket and makes about as much sense.

Also see: an excuse for drunken brawling in Philadelphia (and what isn't?)

In fact, Philadelphia's mascot, the Phanatic, is as good a visual representation of the simultaneous silliness and joy of the game as any.

iu

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's kind of like Cricket and makes about as much sense.

Well, Cricket is no sport, it is an ancient pagan ceremony kept alive, except that it is no longer involving human sacrifices, at least in County Cricket. :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, Cricket is no sport, it is an ancient pagan ceremony kept alive, except that it is no longer involving human sacrifices, at least in County Cricket.

I thought it was the psychological echoes of a long forgotten galactic genocide... :lol:

Marg

Reaction score
Also - baseball is not overlapping with other sports - no goals, playing field is in polar coordinate system, not cartesian X,Y...
Handball, floorball etc. all are just technically different variations of the same idea (which is in football). Most "baseballic" moment in football\soccer is when\if there are penalty series after the game (for example, in world or europe championship playoffs). Gameplay itself is short ("live ball" moment), but the anticipation of what will happen is emotionally strong. Player goes, places the ball on 11 m spot, then goes back, getting ready for kick, people hold their breath...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Baseball is one of many "bat and ball" games.

There can be some overlap with soccer; when I was growing up we sometimes played a variant in which you kicked a soccer ball to run the bases instead of batting a thrown ball.

We also played whiffle ball, wire ball, and many other variations mentioned on that wiki page, usually when we couldn't get enough kids rounded up for a real baseball game. But when we wanted to play real baseball we would go around the neighborhood knocking on doors until we had like 20 or so kids to come out and we would play an informal game at the local school baseball diamond. Sometimes softball, but usually full overhand-thrown baseball. I still have my baseball glove I got as a teenager and still use it.