General Question How hard is it??

Rob

STS-133 Lagacy of Discovery
Reaction score
How many of you after installing this program, hadn't got a clue what to do? Did it take you long to figure out exactly what you needed to do??

Are any of you ROCKET SCIENTISTS????

:facepalm:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I assume you're talking about Orbiter...

My first time I fired it up and did a shuttle launch - straight up. I thought I was doing quite well until I began to come back down. :p

Go play in space was what really helped me, a free online book aimed at the Orbiter newbie. Reading that, and playing through the tutorials, and practising, lots, finally paid off after a few weeks and I was able to make my first moon landing.

The learning curve is sharp and steep, but the thrill of getting the hang of concepts like docking, reentry and landing, and transferring to other bodies is well worth the effort. You can find Go Play In Space from our Tutorials page here on Orbiter-Forum - though it was written for 2006-P1, it remains valid for 2010-P1.

Rob

Reaction score
Exactly the answer I was looking for. I have the Go Play in Space book you were on about and will read up on it. Being a Flight Sim freak being as easy as it is, I was wondering if this was to be the same but its far from it. Should be a good challenge to look forward too.

Thanks

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was a rocket scientist once, for about a semester...had a co-op with United Space Alliance :p

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I found orbiter pretty easy to grasp from an amateur astronomer/physicist standpoint.

Remember, back means down, down means ahead, ahead means backwards and down too far means burning up in the atmosphere. :hello:

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
I think all orbitnauts consider themselves Rocket Scientists :thumbup:
And to Rob you just gotta keep at it, doing those random flights like docking a DG to the ISS all that basic stuff.
I also learnt alot on watching how the AP does it, what angle, what speed your in when.
Ryan.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How many of you after installing this program, hadn't got a clue what to do? Did it take you long to figure out exactly what you needed to do??

20 minutes - that was the time needed for reading and printing (parts of) the manual and doing the first test launches with a DG.

No, but when I started using orbiter, I attended a basic spaceflight technology lecture. I am computer scientist with specialization on spaceflight technology.

If you are not afraid of math, I can only recommend you downloading some lecture notes from the field, they are often available for download, and even if you ignore all math in them, they explain all the key words that you encounter often in orbiter.

Otherwise...JPL has a great page on interplanetary missions, and the tutorials for Orbiter are also not that bad. ;)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We're armchair rocket scientists. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's odd. I did not know rocketry was a science. I always though it was an engineering field.:p

Engineering is a science. ;)

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I would say that the difficulty depends on what experience you have had before. Prior to orbiter I have played FSX for years, so the learning curve was dulled down quite a bit. Although my first flight did not go to plan due to a little bit of hover thrust that I could not figure out how to shut down :facepalm:

Assuming you can handle the airplane, the best tool orbiter has is the MFD's. If you understand how to use them and have an idea of the proper way to achieve things you will do fine. :tiphat:

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score

First off you must be new to this forum. Soooo :welcome:

Rob its not hard but it will be very time consuming. Get used to reading,,, alot. Give it a year. Then you will start having so much fun. Untill then you will go through some frustrating times. Like I said read the manuels. Feel free to ask questions here but I should warn you, try and find the answer yourself before asking. There are some very sharp minds here and they will be happy to help but some dont have much tolerance if you havent made a good attempt first. Be patient and have fun.

Im not but I play one on TV :p

Tommy

Reaction score
Is it hard? Depends on what you want to do. Since you have some flight sim experience, you won't find it hard to just fly around in the atmosphere. Anything beyond atmospheric flight is obviously going to be more difficult.

Once you get outside of an atmosphere, there are a whole new set of rules to learn, and that will take some time. Many of these rules are going to be counter-intuitive. Things like "Faster = Higher, but Higher = Slower" take some getting used to. Going faster means you have more centrifugal force, and that will cause you to increase altitude - but the farther you are from the gravity source, the less centrifugal force you need to maintain altitude, etc.

Go Play In Space is a great way to start, and I also recommend starting with a scenario that has you already in orbit - say the DG docked to the ISS (also, start with the Delta Glider, not the Atlantis). Experiment with Prograde (forward) and Retrograde (backwards) burns - use the Autopilots to maintain the right attitude for those burns. Watch the way the burns change your velocity, and the way velocity changes your altitude - and the way that changes in altitude change your velocity.

Earthbound transportation - even conventional flight - is largely two dimensional. While airplanes change altitude, the targets (airports) don't, and they don't usually move, either.

Spaceflight is four dimensional - the fourth dimension being time. Most of the targets (space stations, planets, moons, etc) are moving. You need to get to the right place, at the right time, AND be moving in the right direction when you get there! Fortunately, there are ways to do this that aren't as difficult as it sounds. It can be broken down into individual steps that aren't that difficult to achieve - once you learn to use the MFD's.

You don't need much for math skills to be good at orbiter - but you will need to learn to understand the basic concepts of Newtonian physics and Kepplerian Orbits. After a while, and some practise, this will come to you, and you will develop an intuitive understanding of Orbital Mechanics.

When you need to ask questions here, it helps if you know the "language". There are some terms you will need to know, like Periapsis and Apoapsis (and the abreviations like PeA, or Periapsis Altitude). Also, everything is relative, so always try to keep in mind what the reference is. For instance, if you are in LEO (Low Earth Orbit) and have a velocity of 7.515 Km/s, you should understand that that velocity is relative to a certain reference - in this case the center of the Earth (and that reference doesn't rotate with the Earth).

Yes, this sounds confusing. Have some patience, and it will come to you. I managed to figure it out, there's no reason you can't as well!

Rob

Reaction score
Well I will be honest with you guys, your certainly a helpful bunch, even sarcasm runs good here but that's me all over so I'll fit right in. Even my tolerance is short lived with things but understand where your coming from when it comes to knowing a little about what I'm asking before thrusting a question your way. I myself don't want to look a complete boob when it comes to asking you all something when the answer is sitting right in front of me on the screen.

As for Flight Simulator experience, 15 years on FS9 with a further 4 years on FSX. I have a glider pilots licence for real and fully understand the laws of Physics and Aerodynamics and Navigation Calculus. For 30 years I've been a RC pilot and recently came 2nd in a local competition for Scale models flying my Lancaster bomber. All of which probably has no significance when it comes to docking a Shuttle with the ISS so hey ho!

I have however designed numerous aircraft for both FS9 and FSX using the wonderful GMax program. If it can be done and I see no reason why it can't, I intend to start designing subjects for Orbiter 2010 also. One subject I have already started looking into designing is Launch Complex 39 for the Shuttle but no rush.

Go Play In Space is gonna get a serious hit off me the next few weeks before I even start designing stuff though because I wanna master this Simulator.

Thanks for the input to my rather immature (at the moment) questions.

Beer's up! :cheers::tiphat: :hailprobe:

213835main_disc_atpad-lg.jpg

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Go Play in Space got me flying pretty confidently to the moon after just an hour or so; it's really the best resource for someone new to Orbiter. I was already kinda familiar with maneuvering just from movies and Arthur C. Clarke stories and such, but actually figuring out how to go somewhere or do a reentry took more detailed instruction.

Using the external views and rotating the camera around in three dimensions let me see the mechanics of it pretty intuitively... To me it's like everything is a bead on a stiff wire, and you can bend your "wire" around "pegs" (gravity wells) by firing your engines...
Make them guitar strings for a music-of-the-spheres joke.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As somebody with practically no flightsim expierince (the last flight simulator I can remember playing was F14 fleet defender, when it just came on the market!) and no higher education in any field that would help me understand spaceflight any better, it took me a few hours to get my first docking to ISS with a DG following the tutorial to the letter, and a few hours more to experiment around to get wnough grasp on the concept to be able to reach the ISS whenever I wanted without a tutorial.

Only two tries to get from earth to moon with Transit MFD, and then one hell of a time investement for TransX. Landing on moon and Mars pretty much worked out in the first go after completing the few touch-and-go-exercises from go play in space. All in all, I'd say it was probably about 50 to 60 hours worth of total learning time to figure out all the essential skills, except for one, because I just never spent enough time and wasn't sufficiently interested in it (I guess that's my lack of flight sim expierience showing): Re-entry and landing on earth. Indeed, I haven't made any succesfull landing on earth so far (well, I have with the stock DG, because you can plow that thing through the atmosphere any way you want), I usually miss the runway by some 500 kilometers... :lol: Just can't get myself around to practice it!