Poll How much time do you need to sleep ?

How much do you need to sleep ?

• Total voters

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
We were joking about Urwumpe being a bot and all that on the other thread, but that made me think : maybe it's a matter of time you need to sleep to be "fully operational".

For exemple, my doctor, which is known has being workaholic because he starts at 8 AM and closes the building at 9 PM, says he needs only to sleep 2 hours by nights, so he has plenty of time anyway. He looks perfectly calm, balanced, and the numerous photographs all across his desk show a well-filled family life. Besides of that he is 60 and could certainly beat me at any sport.

This is an extreme example and few people have that luck, but I was wondering : how much time do you need to sleep, provided you have a calm night (no noise, no nightmares etc...) to feel really well ?

I've heard that the "normal" number is 8 hours. In my case, I can say it is quite precisely 8 hours and 30 minutes. Only 8 hours and I will feel tired all the day long.

So I was a bit curious about this, thanks for answering the poll or sharing experiences about this.

Note : if, like me, you need to sleep something like 8 hours 30 minutes, please answer the upper choice (9 hours).

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Usually 6 hours however when lots of manual labor occured previous day I need 8-9 hours

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Probably 9 hours to be completely rested. I generally sleep 8 hours. I can manage 6 alright but probably need a nap. And would only try 4 hours in rare circumstances.
I can sleep alllll day though if given the choice. :lol:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Today it was eight hours, kind of usual for me. When I'm really tired and don't set an alarm clock, I sometimes end up with 14 hours. Five hours seem to be my absolute minimum.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
5-6 hours, sometimes as little as 4 but average is ~5½. (I voted 6).
I got used to that amount of sleep during my army service and have kept it since. About once every couple of weeks I do catch a lazy afternoon nap for a couple of hours, usually on Sundays.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
BTW, my personal record is 15 hours : it was when I went to Canada. I had to board the plane in Paris at 6 AM, with the safety checks it meant being there at 3 AM, I was 400 kilometers aways so 4 hours of car and no sleep that night. I had to carry a 35 kg bagpack and was too excited to sleep in the plane. Once in Montreal-Mirabel (now closed), there was a bus for Montreal downtown (40 kilometers), and from there I had to take another bus to my destination (Sherbrooke, 250 kilometers away, nearly 3 hours of bus). Once there, I had to meet a contact (I obviously lost her phone number), and loitered in the streets another couple of hours. After she found me, I fell in a coma-like sleep for those 15 hours. Of course with the jet lag I waked up completely lost in space and time. It was so weird.

On the other side, it happened me several times not to sleep at all while having to work a full day after. This is hardcore stuff, requires a lots of mugs of coffee and cause uncontrolable shaking of the hands, and a tendancy to agressivity (the nervous system is giving up at this point and reverts to basic instinct).

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It's rare that I can get 8 hours. Usually I run on 5 to 6, depends on the neighbors dogs (I really don't like little bitty dogs with their high pitched yelps and yips). I've survived for weeks on just 4 hours, but I'm one grouchy dude after a while. And I'm not fond of falling asleep at the wheel on my drive to or from work.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Something between 8 and 9 hours to be fully recharged and at full capacity. But I can also run on acceptable levels with just 4 hours of sleep and a direct caffeine injection.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Great articles. I actually love to wake up at night, just to take a look at the clock and see that I have many hours left to get some more sleep.
But I rarely use this do do something else...

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I have my schedule fully under my control like when im not at my parents house i can sleep at least 5 hours. During the summer I had adopted a wacky schedule of going to bed around 2 or 2:30 and waking up around 5 and i had repeated that schedule for about 2 weeks without further sliding down the chute of insanity.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nine hours to feel fully rested. The occasional all-nighter doesn't interfere much, as long as it is done only infrequently.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I can operate with 3, 5, 7 or 9 hours sleep, I have no idea why I can only get a good night sleep with odd hours (rather than even). If woken up on a even hour it takes me hours to get going in the morning.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I really need about 12-14 hours of "sleep" now. Only 6-8 may actually be spent sleeping, but given how badly everything else is going, those 6-8 out of 12-14 are crucial for me to be functional during the day. Usually though I only get about 10 hours, out of which 5-6 are spent sleeping.

Tommy

Reaction score
I can do with 7 hours, or 9 hours, but 8 doesn't work - it's right in the middle of REM and if woken I am out of sorts, thickheaded (even more than usual) and quite cranky all day.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The poll is already forming a nice Gauss curve, centered on 8 hours, as expected. Keep voting ! :thumbup:

So it seems that 7-8 hours is the average for now.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like to get as much as possible :p but I can usually operate well with 4-5 hours of sleep.

Krikkit

Reaction score
On workdays, if I don't get at least 8 hours I will fall asleep at my desk. But I think this is boredom. On the weekends when there are chores and socializing to do I can go two or three nights straight with 4 hours or less and feel wide awake all day. Left to my own rhythms I will generally sleep 10-11 hours a night. Since I was furloughed with the government shutdown I have been staying up later and waking up later every day. I think I naturally work on a 32 hour sleep-wake schedule.