Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'd also check the keymap your OS is set up to use, and verify that the key input which results when you press a numpad key corresponds to those bound to the numpad keys in Orbiter's keymap file. There are a variety of little software gizmos to help you in establishing that, I'd start with a google search as none are springing to my mind at present.

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
I'd also check the keymap your OS is set up to use, and verify that the key input which results when you press a numpad key corresponds to those bound to the numpad keys in Orbiter's keymap file. There are a variety of little software gizmos to help you in establishing that, I'd start with a google search as none are springing to my mind at present.

Oh.. I dident know you could change those. I will take a look and see if i can find any. :3 Ill tell you how it goes. Thanks for all the help guys :D

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

I cant find any programs online that can do this for me :(

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Still, ask ASUS! After this ordeal I'm really curious on how numlock is supposed to work. For now the best thing to do is to enable numlock via the virtual keyboard.

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
Still, ask ASUS! After this ordeal I'm really curious on how numlock is supposed to work. For now the best thing to do is to enable numlock via the virtual keyboard.

Ok I am gona call them after I write this.. I did enable numlock in the virtual keyboard.. but i still cant fly in orbiter D: This is fail >.> calling them now :p

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
An utterly bizarre way of dealing with it, but how about:

Freeware numlock software google search

I sympathise!
I had to hit the BIOS to get my Numlock key to do anything on my first laptop, while my second laptop has NO numpad keys at all.

Thank you for the interesting way to turn on and of numlock.. but sadly.. It still dident work.. when i launch on of the programs listed it says.. MSVCR71.dll is missing.. D:

Rocket_Man55

Reaction score
Ok you guys.. I called ASUS tech support and aparentally my laptop has no numpad. They said it was because my laptop is a new design of a keyboard where the number pad doesent have directional controls.. So they dident have to put a numlock key. I was like wow XD SO.. I went to best buy and bought me a portiable numberpad :3 So all works good now. :D Issue resolved

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok you guys.. I called ASUS tech support and aparentally my laptop has no numpad. They said it was because my laptop is a new design of a keyboard where the number pad doesent have directional controls.. So they dident have to put a numlock key. I was like wow XD SO.. I went to best buy and bought me a portiable numberpad :3 So all works good now. :D Issue resolved

That's strange...like buying a cabriolet-car and you can not open or close the roof ;)

Just out of curiosity: When you toggle [Num Lk] on your external Pad,
does the internal NumPad change it's behavior?n

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe there are software that can emulate this ? Like converting the "calculator" signal input into a "numlock signal" ?

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Have you tried Start >All Programs> Accessories > Accessibility > On Screen Keyboard? I'd guess you can get the num lock to work this way.

I came across this fix when I inadvertently got my Fn key stuck on my laptop a while back.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Looks like I am a bit late to discover this thread, but here is some general info regarding this issue:

Orbiter uses a low-level mechanism to access the keyboard (via DirectInput). It directly scans the key codes generated by pressed keys, without any higher-level interpretation. Essentially, the keyboard acts like a game pad with a large number of buttons.

For this reason, it shouldn't matter if Numlock is active or not - the keys on the number pads generate the same low-level signals either way. In fact the Numlock key has its own keycode and can be used just like any other key.

If your Laptop numpad doesn't work in Orbiter, it means that it doesn't generate the required keycodes and instead simply clones the keycodes of the normal number keys. This could either be down to the keyboard driver, or (more nastily) to the hardware, i.e. your numpad is hardwired to generate the same low-level output as the number keys. If it's the driver, you might have hope for an update. As it stands now, your numpad isn't properly implemented.

I am slightly confused that so many people in this thread seem to suggest a Numlock-based solution. Does that mean that on your systems the Numlock status actually is relevant for the behaviour in Orbiter? I am surprised, because that would indicate that on those systems Numlock does intercept the low-level scancodes. This isn't supposed to happen.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

I'm sure that was what I said a while back, and I did wonder what was going on with all this numlock stuff.

If the external numpad you got works, and you're happy using it, I'd continue to use that. If not, then I'd refer you back to the above, try to find out if what martin suggests may be the case (numpad keys generating the same key output as number keys) - if it is, you might have some interesting and unwanted side effects by binding the RCS controls to the number key inputs, even though it may work for moving your vessel - you never know who mapped an addon to the number keys, after all.

Columbia42

Reaction score
I am slightly confused that so many people in this thread seem to suggest a Numlock-based solution. Does that mean that on your systems the Numlock status actually is relevant for the behaviour in Orbiter? I am surprised, because that would indicate that on those systems Numlock does intercept the low-level scancodes. This isn't supposed to happen.

For me Numlock has no effect on the functionality of my number pad in Orbiter.

Pulsar

Reaction score
Website
www.ferruginous.co.cc
I had a similar problem. I'm running orbiter in a laptop with no num keys. After searching the internet and trying keyboard mapping software, I decided the best solution was to modify de keymap.cfg file in Orbiter. Then I downloaded Joytokey and configured the new mapping for the joystick.
A word o caution though, when setting custom keys in the keymap.cfg: Some addons employ keys that do not appear in the manual or in the keymap.cfg file that matter. Best to set unusual combinations with the Ctrl or Alt keys.