If Palin was a man...

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Would she have gotten such good reviews about the debate last night? Geraldine said she was rooting for her because she was a woman and was happy Palin proved that a woman can debate. It seems much of the pride comes from the fact that a woman did well not getting walked on. Good. But, should that even be the issue?

If Palin had been a man, how would they rate the debate?

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
Well, despite being a man or a woman, Republicans lost the debate.

And she lost respect for my vote as well, she doesn't relate very well to me, what professional would give a "shout out", or blunder the word nuclear?

I thought it was a bad pick to begin with, and for once, answer a freaking question, don't go back to tax increase, there is no tax increase about foreign policy.

Oh yeah, to answer your question, She (he) would have lost miserably.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, all her successes so far only come from the low expectations patriarchal people have from a woman. That was also how she won most election campaigns in Alaska: By turning all criticism against her person, into criticism against women in general. But she is no average woman at all.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether our friends who depend on outlets like the New York Times, the LA Times, The Washington Post, tec., or non-American newspapers have heard anything at all about whether Biden made any mistakes of fact or made any mistatement in the debate? Anything?

I'm not asking what your opinion is -- that's clear. I'm asking whether you've heard any discussion at all in the media you use to get your news about any mistakes or misstatements Biden made.

Oh -- and guess who else pronounces the word "nuclear" as "nucular"? The only president who had a degree in physics and actually worked in the nuclear power field, under one of its founders.

Gorn

Reaction score
I Tivo'd the debate, but haven't seen it yet.

what professional would give a "shout out", or blunder the word nuclear?

Oh puhleeze ... I hope you're not talking about the tired old slur regarding "new-klee-er" vs "nook-you-ler." Yes, Bush the Texan says "nook-you-ler." Most of the time Bill Clinton said "new-klee-er," but every once in a while the Arkansas in him would come out and he'd say "nook-you-ler." And Georgian Jimmy Carter, who back in his Navy days was one of Hyman Rickover's proteges and so indisputably knew more about nuclear technology than any other President before or since, said "nook-you-ler" all the time. It's a regional variation, nothing more. It's not the badge of idiocy that some snide people on the Left (in an appeal to regional bigotry) claim it to be.

Danny

PS -- LOL Greg, I guess our posts crossed.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm wondering whether our friends who depend on outlets like the New York Times, the LA Times, The Washington Post, tec., or non-American newspapers have heard anything at all about whether Biden made any mistakes of fact or made any mistatement in the debate? Anything?

Actually, I watched the debate in the German public broadcasting news channel Phoenix, they showed it in full length and with German translation, though you can still hear the original. But I did not notice any translation errors, actually, Palin sounded much more confident, when being spoken by a professional translator. ;)

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com

I'm not asking what your opinion is -- that's clear. I'm asking whether you've heard any discussion at all in the media you use to get your news about any mistakes or misstatements Biden made.

Oh -- and guess who else pronounces the word "nuclear" as "nucular"? The only president who had a degree in physics and actually worked in the nuclear power field, under one of its founders.

A vice president will work like a president when president is not in the main land. A vicepresident who has problems to answer in a straight-forward way to press during a crisis, could raise doubts.
Palin is cute. Perhaps too cute to be Commander In Chief.

However do not take my comments too seriously, because I still believe that US elections is responsibility of Americans, not mine.

My responsibility as citizen is to take care about events in my country, not to fight wars outside those borders.

To me, US election is just like a new soap opera on TV.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So, seriously -- obviously the majority sentiment on this forum is pro-Obama, so I'd really like to know -- did the media outlets you see have any discussion of Biden's misstatements of fact?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net

Yes, The Washington Post pointed out here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/campaign08/debates/?hpid=topnews, that Sen. Biden's statement:

He insisted on elections on the West Bank, when I said, and others said, and Barack Obama said, "Big mistake. Hamas will win. You'll legitimize them." What happened? Hamas won.
is probably wrong, at least they claim that Sen. Obama didn't say that:

Fact Checker: Obama had only been a senator for a few days when the election took place, but if he made such statements they did not appear in news reports or transcripts that are contained in the Nexis or Factiva news databases.
There might be more errors as I'm still reading the news, I've read that Sen. Biden is rather infamous for making mistakes, but I don't know if this is correct (exposing again my lack of knowledge about US politics)...

Cheers
Tschachim

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I used not to have an opinion about Palin, until I saw the news about comments on foreign policy that seemed to be taken from a script of a Barbie or Bratz movie. I just want to imagine such a speech as Commander In Chief while facing a crisis.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I used not to have an opinion about Palin, until I saw the news about comments on foreign policy that seemed to be taken from a script of a Barbie or Bratz movie. I just want to imagine such a speech as Commander In Chief while facing a crisis.

Again, just curious: Where did you see the news item to which you are referring?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Again, just curious: Where did you see the news item to which you are referring?

If he saw it, he saw a person which had to escape into tag lines and infinite sentences, often looking insecure, but hiding this behind a fake smile.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com

La Nacion, the most reputable and proUS newspaper in Costa Rica
"Palin pasa de la admiración a la burla en medios de EE. UU. "
http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2008/septiembre/30/mundo1719412.html

Al consultarle qué quería decir cuando mencionó la proximidad de Alaska y Rusia como experiencia en política exterior respondió: “Es muy importante, si usted considera incluso asuntos de seguridad nacional con Rusia... cuando Putin gira la cabeza y entra en el espacio aéreo de Estados Unidos, adónde van? A Alaska”.

Translation:

"Palin goes from admiration to laughter in US media"

When asked what she meant when she mentioned the proximity of Alaska and Russia as experience in foreign politics she answered: "It is very important, if you consider even matters of national security with Russia... when Putin turns his head and enter US air space, where do they go? To Alaska"

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
So, seriously -- obviously the majority sentiment on this forum is pro-Obama, so I'd really like to know -- did the media outlets you see have any discussion of Biden's misstatements of fact?

To quote fact I'm a republican and a strong supporter of McCain he happens to be a veteran. In fact I had about a 15 minute conversation with him. Also I happen to be a Vet of 2 Wars and 1 conflict and we happened to share a lot in common. This was when he was my Senator when I was living in Arizona.

However the statement on the topic was NOT the debates but this thread turned into an M6 where the topic was soon lost due to flames and other happy devices. Ahhhhhhhh good ol times

Oh yeah about those who blunder nuclear 3 words Hostages in Iran
And possibly 2 of the least popular presidents in history

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
When asked what she meant when she mentioned the proximity of Alaska and Russia as experience in foreign politics she answered: "It is very important, if you consider even matters of national security with Russia... when Putin turns his head and enter US air space, where do they go? To Alaska"

Yes, that's from a Katie Couric interview linked above:

Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It's funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don't know, you know … reporters.

Couric: Mocked?

Palin: Yeah, mocked, I guess that's the word, yeah.

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials.

Palin: Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there…

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.
...and to answer the original question of this thread: I personally don't care about the gender of Gov. Palin, but I've no idea about how the US people think about that?

Cheers
Tschachim

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As an American, my experience dealing with the public at large indicates to me, that the average person in this country tends to want things pared things down into manageable little sound-bites, or distilled into very basic issues...male vs. female...black or white...youth vs. age...

Unlike Greg, a lot of the folks I deal with every day don't pay attention to what's actually being said, or grasp the real issues. They parrot whatever they've read or heard in their news media of choice, never giving a thought to the bias of the source.

I'm not saying that observation applies to everyone, but I'm somewhat discomforted by the fact that people who want to turn the election into a popularity contest will be out there voting along side the folks who actually understand the import of this election.

But two of the great things about this country are that it's their constitutionally guaranteed right, and that they have the freedom to do so.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
A vice president will work like a president when president is not in the main land. A vicepresident who has problems to answer in a straight-forward way to press during a crisis, could raise doubts.
Not really. The VP only assumes the duties of the President if he is incapacitated (like goes under anethesa for a surgery) or removed from office.

The Veeps really don't have much of a job. On the campaign trail and when trying to push a policy or legislation they are just an extra talking head to get the President's message out, and to be the tie breaker in Congress.

The only reason these Veeps are getting as much attention (besides the fact that Palin is photogenic), is that both of the Presidential candidates have higher than normal probablilities of dying in office. One from natural causes, the other from a bigoted redneck.

He insisted on elections on the West Bank, when I said, and others said, and Barack Obama said, "Big mistake. Hamas will win. You'll legitimize them." What happened? Hamas won.

In that same section Biden made a more noticeable gaff. He brain-farted and forgot who had elected Hamas. He said, "that country to the north" (Lebanon?) when it was one Palastinian area, not a country.

Beyond that, there wasn't much beyond the usual debate blurring of facts.

Biden is much more smooth and experianced. Dispite personally agreeing with the GOP ideals Palin tries to stay on message about, I think she is a bit too perky and "soccer-momish". The unseasoned-ness shows thru around the edges of her speeches and when she gets thrown a curve ball during interviews.
I guess she is what a fresh and unbought-and-sold political outsider looks like. I just think if she could put on the armored composure of a political insider and behave more "stateswomanly", she would be more effective.