Project Interplanetary modular spacecraft

lassombra

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. The problem is that having several coders in the current stage would most probably create more work for me than it takes away (setting up repository, documenting code etc). Most of the code was written by vchamp back in 2008, and by now I know it well enough, but it would still be tricky to get another coder in at this stage.

Understandable. I just figured I'd offer since about a month ago I personally had a very similar idea, and when I posted that idea, I was pointed here, it only made sense to offer my potential help.

Well, there's docking ports. Code support that allows to make a closable landing bay with several docking ports is already there, so all that's needed is a mesh and a config. Since modeling time is pretty much at a premium with the two modelers we have left we have to concentrate on realistic current- or near future tech, so a big hangar bay is not on the list, but there's nothing preventing anyone from making one once the add-on is released.

That's fine, and many users will be just fine with such an arrangement. I just have a slightly more... unique vision for the vessel I'd like to build.

As for a landing strip, that would take quite some coding time and is utterly unrealistic, so it won't happen.

I don't know how utterly unrealistic it is. Obviously in realms of current infrastructure, tech, etc building a ship of that size is way on the impractical side, but here on Orbiter, we've always been a bit "flexible" with technology, and while I wouldn't call it current tech, I think it's reasonable to assume that any vessel large enough to carry complete landers *could* use a landing bay construct. Obviously I'm no engineer, and can't say for sure what will be used in the future, but I know as a pilot I like the idea of a landing bay (even a star wars style bay that's only got room for about 3 craft deep on the side of the ship). It's not about docking, it's actually "landing" in space, you fly in, you let your skids or wheels down, you make contact with the deck, and you let it grip your craft. The doors close, and you simply get out of the vessel. Later to launch, you simply use a bit of up translation rcs and then use a quick thrust to add a few m/s relative speed and you're out of there, ready to go explore some new world, transport supplies, defend against the empire/cylons, whatever it is the smaller craft was there for, they can get started on so much quicker if their initial operation departing a large vessel is to have a significant separation velocity. But enough of my defense of the idea, I didn't think you'd implement it at this stage anyways, since, as you said, you are very near completion and it would be code intensive.

SourceCode will be open to public once the add-on is out, though, so you'll be free to try your hands at it.

That works, though I wonder if you'll use some mechanism to prevent free for all modifications? An addon like this is unique enough and potentially broad reaching enough that every "mini" add on dev (like me, I tend to write pieces of addons, not the whole thing) will get in and try to add their feature, which of course after a very short amount of time can lead to several variations of the add on being out there which each have some nice features and which are incompatible with each other for obvious reasons. My recommendation: Set up a sourceforge page for this after you release so that people who do want to modify it (as I definitely do) can be assured of doing so in a non-breaking fashion.

[EDIT: Slight spelling error]

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's not about docking, it's actually "landing" in space

Yeah, that's the unrealistic part I've mentioned. ;)

That works, though I wonder if you'll use some mechanism to prevent free for all modifications?

No. I'm way too lazy to do extra work just to spoil other people's fun. :lol:

Besides that, most of the code isn't even written by me, it was written by vchamp, and he had it laying around on sourceforge for four years now (otherwise it might have been difficult to get my hands on it), so it would seem that he agrees with releasing the source code. It would even be in his good right to insist.

My recommendation: Set up a sourceforge page for this after you release so that people who do want to modify it (as I definitely do) can be assured of doing so in a non-breaking fashion.

And spend the next ten years updating the repository and remerging different branches? No, I'm too lazy for that too. If different developers want to get their features in and merge the stuff, they'll have to co-ordinate it themselfes, sorry.

Last edited:

lassombra

Reaction score
No. I'm way too lazy to do extra work just to spoil other people's fun. :lol:

Besides that, most of the code isn't even written by me, it was written by vchamp, and he had it laying around on sourceforge for four years now (otherwise it might have been difficult to get my hands on it), so it would seem that he agrees with releasing the source code. It would even be in his good right to insist.
I think you misunderstood the meaning of "free for all" I was going for. I was more referring to the rampant creation of incompatible versions that a creative and ground breaking mod like this can inspire.

And spend the next ten years updating the repository and remerging different branches? No, I'm too lazy for that too. If different developers want to get their features in and merge the stuff, they'll have to co-ordinate it themselfes, sorry.
Fair enough. It was just a suggestion. I do fully intend to implement my idea then upon release since you have already stated making it open source. Noone else has to even us it, but I want it. I think it'd be a fun alternative to docking, and would potential have a higher throughput than docking would (hence why we see it so often in sci-fi shows).

I'd offer to put it on source forge and coordinate it but somehow I have a feeling that if it's not done by you, noone will care, so, it is what it is.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was more referring to the rampant creation of incompatible versions that a creative and ground breaking mod like this can inspire.

I'm counting on the general laziness of the community to keep that in check. The code has been rotting away for four years now, although I pointed to it whenever someone asked for an add-on to merge different vessels into one, so I don't expect everyone to break out their C++ ad start spewing out code like mad :lol:

lassombra

Reaction score
Well, I will. I've been looking for a good place to aim my c++ cannons anyways. Ok, bad joke, probably one of the worst I've ever told.

It occurs to me though that you mentioned only 2 modelers left. I'm not *much* of a modeler, but I'm sure I can be of some help. I do have a copy of 3ds max (it's old, but hey) and have *some* skill with it. Most of what we're modeling starts tubular anyways right?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, man things start tubular, yes. What we're lacking most currently seems to be texturing skills though. Looks like I'm the most expierienced at it currently, but I don't get the time to do it. If you can texture as well as model, that would be great. On the other hand, one more modeler won't hurt any way you turn it...

If you want in, I can send you an invite to the dev group.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It occurs to me though that you mentioned only 2 modelers left. I'm not *much* of a modeler, but I'm sure I can be of some help. I do have a copy of 3ds max (it's old, but hey) and have *some* skill with it. Most of what we're modeling starts tubular anyways right?

There's Sketchup, which I use with great results. Just make sure to grab the .obj exporter script to kick out something that other programs can read. And make sure to convert the textures manually. Otherwise, no problems.

lassombra

Reaction score
Yeah... texturing is one thing I've never been terribly talented at. I've done some, and depending on the texture needed I could possibly do some, but we'd have to take it case by case. Either way, consider this my offer of assistance.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I'm officially looking for more testers. After weeding out the inactive ones, we're left with two, one of which is also a modeler, and the other handling and updating the config repositories, so we're decidedly short in that department.

Mark however, if you call in, I'll expect you to do some actual testing. Not running it once or twice and say "yeah, seems to work". I'm looking for people that can invest at least 30 minutes per day (or accumulating time per week, not saying you have to be on it every day) to deliberatly try to break stuff!

It seems to work pretty stable currently, but with only two half-testers there can't be any certainty...

Last edited:

Nexiss

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've got a fair bit of time on my hands so if you need me to help with testing please consider me at your disposal

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Yea, sorry about that. The time I expected to have ended up not materializing.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yea, sorry about that. The time I expected to have ended up not materializing.

Don't worry about it, I know the problem all too well...

I've got a fair bit of time on my hands so if you need me to help with testing please consider me at your disposal

Great, Invite to the development group is underway.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A glass cockpit was ordered, a glass cockpit will be delivered:

attachment.php

Unfortunately it has become apparent during testing that the engineering panel needs a complete rewrite and not just a facelifting, which means that we will be delayed further. But we're getting there... I always underestimate the finishing work.

Attachments

• PilotPanel.jpg
    PilotPanel.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 212

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Writing a GUI is simple. But it's also very tedious, boring and results in an awful lot of code, compared to other features. That's why I wasn't looking forward to reworking the engineering panel, and why I'm damn glad that I'm done with it.

It set me back a good three weeks, but the result not only looks better (I'd have spared myself the work just for the looks), it's also a lot more flexible, informative and (I hope) intuitive (at least my testers were able to figure it out without any documentation...)

So here's what it looks like:

attachment.php

Next up is some serious bug fixing, as PeterRoss and Nexiss made good use of the days without an update and uncovered some pretty deep lying stuff. After that it's on to the last major feature, some basic failure modes. Not a damage model per se, I'll wait with that for an update or we'll never get a release. Just preventing stuff from working when it doesn't have power or is outside its operating temperature.

Attachments

• Engineering.jpg
    Engineering.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 254

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Failure modes are implemented and are being tested. You can look forward to a few new ways to kill UMMUs. Well, actually, not so new. Starvation, dehydration and asphyxation are all widely spread, and grilling them too. Although, in IMS, you'll be ale to slow-cook them in the sun, and freeze their balls off. At least that last one should be a first... :lol:

Enough of the morbidity, we're heading for the end-run here. Lots of testing waiting and some more little features that aren't really essential, but that will make things a lot more easy, are yet to be done. Tomorrow my son has heart surgery, if that goes well I intend to end of August for a release date.

Hopefully we will go public before that with the first release candidate, so everyone else can get a chance at a bit of testing while I write the documentation...

This also seems a good point to give PeterRoss and Nexiss some public recognition. They do an absolutely incredible job at testing. Progress would be slower by half at least without you guys!

Last edited: