Iran's new design for 5th Generation Fighter Jet

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Only the F-35 is equipped with this technology, and it still isn't completely operational.

Other aircraft up to and including the F-22 use a "normal" HUD, whith the helmet used for targeting of short range missiles.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Mock-up bigtime, no way this thing(in the pictures) is a flying prototype. It's a paste together propaganda and publicity stand-in. Static only, and not it's Hi-Fi. This isn't even a boiler plate test model. It looks like it was made in a boat factory. Cheap fiberglass, fairy dust, and glamor makeup.

Hatip to Martin, yes most modern military aircraft are using canopy glass projection HUD elements, including helmet mounted data displays and audio alert systems. See and shot targeting, and spacial orientation devices are in heavy R&D. Smart phones for the pilot if you will...

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
For what it's worth, here's a cockpit picture in reasonably high definition:
http://i.imgur.com/iFfIXLE.jpg

Well, it's got car radio, CD-player, a couple of scary-looking red switches... It could be a great movie prop. Now we only need Michael Dudikoff to steal it and we have a plot.

I don't see any car radios, I see off the shelf commercial avionics.

Top two look like a DME reviver and Direction Finder.
The middle displays are probubly HSI and VSI and other navagation displays.
below that it looks like a Transponder.

As a prototype i see nothing wrong with it flying. As a credible military aircraft i think it is not.
Given Iran's history i would not be surprised if in 5-10 years that this could be developed in to an effective military aircraft, but it would require some outside help.

I could go on for the reasons i think that, but this is not the basement

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Do modern jets still have HUDs? I thought it's all helmet-mounted displays these days (to the point where external cameras provide views from directions obscured by the fuselage)

Yes they still have HUDs (or did at-least as of 2010) the helmet displays were just becoming standard when I left the Navy, but not every one had them yet.

Mantis

Reaction score
Do modern jets still have HUDs? I thought it's all helmet-mounted displays these days (to the point where external cameras provide views from directions obscured by the fuselage)

I'm pretty sure that Fabri91 is right and the first not to have one is the F35. I believe that the MiG 29 and SU-27 series had some helmet mounted targeting capabilities but still retained a conventional HUD.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I just noticed too that even the indicator lights in the centre-console appear to be fake and the display screen near the pilot's right hand position looks like a Garmin GPS out of a car!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of Firefox (the Clint Eastwood movie, not the browser)

330px-MiG-31_Firefox.jpg

Now Warner Bros. can release Firefox II !

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I saw that joystick for a moment I wondered if they recycled the movie prop joysticks from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, which were themselves recycled props from the 1978 Battlestar Galactica. All it needs is a "turbo" button.

242.full.jpg

FADEC

Reaction score
I don't see any car radios, I see off the shelf commercial avionics.

Standard avionics of single and multi piston engine airplanes which are certified for IFR flights. Nothing special. Less than ever something that is used in modern fighter jets this way.

This is very obviously nothing more than propaganda. And as such it is a rather poor one. At least regarding the cockpit. There were no experts involved.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
For what it's worth, here's a cockpit picture in reasonably high definition:
http://i.imgur.com/iFfIXLE.jpg

Thank you for that.

I see:
Dynon D-100
2 x Dynon D-10A
AvMap EFIS
(All of these do the same thing, which is primary flight display, and/or maybe some engine monitoring).

Garmin GTX-327 transponder
Garmin SL-30 Nav/Com
Garmin GMA 340 audio panel (really? To manage the stereo?)
An altimeter, 3-pointer.
An airspeed indicator (no Mach, 300 max reading, yellow arc starts at 220.)

Engine instrumentation: an RPM gauge with vernier, a non-vernier gauge that might be fuel flow, a triple-needle instrument that no doubt measures electrics, and a two-needle instrument (hydraulic?). I see no EGT gauge, nor a nozzle position indicator.
The stick grip is clearly a Guardian Electric eBay special.
The 2 1/4" artificial horizon is also clearly an eBay special. That's a nice unit, but it won't work in a 30-degree sloped panel like they've got there.

I don't recognize the unit at top and bottom of the panel, but am tentatively calling the bottom one a DME panel and the top one a GPS.

There is no master arm switch, no way to do stores management, no way to do fuel management, no RWR, no defensive systems of any kind....

A mockup. A nice one, though, IMHO.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
This is more like what the cockpit should look like, I know from personal experience. I worked on the F-117 for over 3 years.:thumbup: Look at the F-117 rail lock post holes in each side. The mockup doesn't seem to have any kind of canopy lock. The F-117 seal surface is made from Flat Milled aluminum, you can clearly see the mockup is made from pooly shaped fiberglass. The F-117 is packed with instrumentation, the mockup is not, even though the F-117 is a few years old, it has typical instrumentation you would find in a modern stealth prototype.:rofl:

At the very outside, you could not fly the mockup above 10,000 feet, you could not presurize the crewstation even with an inflateable seal on those flimsy rails. The pilot would need a full up soft pressure suit, and it probably would not fit in the dinky crew station.:rofl:

http://detektifconan78.blogspot.com/2009/04/f-117-nighthawk.html

Attachments

• 9 Mars Cir.jpg
    9 Mars Cir.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is there any explanation for the segment of the video that (apparently/supposedly) shows the aircraft in flight, then?

Gr_Chris_pilot

DGIV Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Nice simpit. For an amateur. :lol:

Notice that the airspeed indicator enter the yellow caution zone at 200 knots :rofl: Taken from a Cessna or such light civilian airplane probably... :lol:

And yes, that's definitively a car radio :facepalm:

Conclusion : simpits enthusiats from this forum would have done much better !

Nop the radio like thing is the mode c transponder. For the airspeed indicator i have to say its an standby gauge so its only for reference.... The aircraft have glass cockpit instruments... I can see some Garmin avionics .... I think its only for training.. The wings design provide good maneuverability and its gonna be pretty stable both for low-hight speeds

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
There is some video of "flight" here:

But there is nothing in the video to suggest scale; it hits me as a nice RC jet to me. Look at this video showing an RC F-16 when the camera does not show any references in the background to see what I mean.

I call shenanigans.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Thunder Chicken i understand where you are comming from with the video, but If you where developing a cassified aircraft, would you hand over details of the aircraft. It does stick of properganda though.

As to the glassfiber construction. I would think that this could be an aerodynamic test aircraft in the same ilk as [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_707"]Avro_707[/ame] was to Avro Vulcan, I am not aware of any fullscale wind tunnels in Iran that could be used to assist in R&D.

I belive in my humble opinion that Iran has both the technical know how and the will to pull off building a native built aircraft, what thay lack is alot of the hardwhere that would make it effective. I will state again that i would not be supprised if this thing is real or not.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Thunder Chicken i understand where you are coming from with the video, but If you where developing a classified aircraft, would you hand over details of the aircraft. It does stick of propaganda though.

Just pointing out that you never actually see a pilot in the aircraft while it is operating (taxiing/landing/taking-off). I don't actually see an engine exhaust of any sort on the static display. To be fair I don't understand Farsi so what the images conveyed and what the words conveyed could be two completely different things.

I agree that Iran definitely has the know-how to produce such an aircraft. However, I think what we are seeing here is a concept mock-up, and some video of something streaking around to make it look like the program is more advanced than it really is. Perhaps an RC model for performance testing.

Given the tensions in the region, it behooves Iran to look as though they are more than ready for a matched battle with a modern military force like Israel. Iran certainly has the potential for such things, but right now it is just potential masked by stage sets, smoke-and-mirrors, and Photoshopped propaganda.

Mantis

Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of Firefox (the Clint Eastwood movie, not the browser)

330px-MiG-31_Firefox.jpg

Now Warner Bros. can release Firefox II !

That could make for a good comedy movie - Firefox II - they send Clint Eastwood to Iran to steal this plane only to discover that it's a plastic fake when he arrives! Then he has to try to escape from bumbling Iranian agents who are trying to prevent him from exposing their dark secret.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are you sure, the flying plane shown in the video is not that one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_X-36

It has some similarities to the mock-up, and was subscale, explaining the strange perspective of the flight sequence.

EDIT: But the banking motion of the flight looks more like the plane was RC, not even with a camera in it.

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That could make for a good comedy movie - Firefox II - they send Clint Eastwood to Iran to steal this plane only to discover that it's a plastic fake when he arrives! Then he has to try to escape from bumbling Iranian agents who are trying to prevent him from exposing their dark secret.

Since it's The Clint we're talking about, he'll escape with the fake. Which will work. Because The Clint says so.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Clint Eastwood sneaks into cockpit, looks for engine switch. Passing mechanic widens eyes and says: "do ya feel lucky, punk?"