Iron Hill Project Thread

sorindafabico

Reaction score
I'll just drop the module coding into the Iron Hill config file under /Mercury/Base. Not sure if it'll work...

If you provide the meshes I can make a simple .dll for the base. Moreover, it's what I'll propose to do (in a more advanced way) in our lunar base.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you provide the meshes I can make a simple .dll for the base. Moreover, it's what I'll propose to do (in a more advanced way) in our lunar base.

Why would you DLL it? If he just makes it as a surface base config there shouldnt be any issues with it moving or the cargoes repacking.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You have a point. In this case (Iron Hill Mercury base), a .dll would be useful only for UMMU compatibility.

and all Tmac would need to do would be to create some UMMU breathing areas to distribute with it. Much faster & easier that way.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I'll just drop the module coding into the Iron Hill config file under /Mercury/Base. Not sure if it'll work...
That resoundingly did not work:facepalm:
I had a feeling I was in trouble when I saw how different CFG code is from SCN code:(

Does anyone know how to implement an object like a UCGO box as a visual in a CFG?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That resoundingly did not work:facepalm:
I had a feeling I was in trouble when I saw how different CFG code is from SCN code:(

Does anyone know how to implement an object like a UCGO box as a visual in a CFG?

You just have to add its mesh to the base config file. I can help get you started if you're confused about the process of base making.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Chronus 8 was my first full flight for the Iron Hill Project and I have some questions about preferences and parameters.

Do we have a policy about things like nonspherical gravity and XR5 ISP settings? I just assumed that we are trying to do realistic missions, so I had nonspherical gravity on and also all XR5 settings on expert, only APU fuel burn rate on realistic.
The launch windows sorindafabico calculated for example wouldn't have worked, if nonspherical gravity would have been off.
These settings also made it a very hard mission (retrograde and 500km+), because at the end I had almost no APU and Main/RCS fuel left and the coolant temperature was very high. For somebody else it could have been an easy mission, because of different settings.
I think in the future, and this also applies to RTI missions, we should have rules for this. Just so we all have the same settings.

:cheers:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
We're supposed to be using full realistic settings on the XR-5, including non-spherical gravity sources and gravity gradient torque. As far as ISP settings, I had orignally wanted the Vanguard to be LEO-only, but Sorindfabico is wanting to use her for some lunar missions in the future, so I may relax that restriction.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
He just needs to add the base module meshes to a config file & add some UMMU breathable areas to do it. If it can be done before discovery arrives that would probably be better actually.

Good work Indy! :thumbup:

Im going to tentatively schedule the meeting for 9 am tommorow, how does that work for everyone? (Not sure which time zone Im in, gotta go check)

:hailprobe:

Allright, Im logged into Quakenet now.

Interesting lesson of the day: The most effective alarm clock in the world is one that you cant figure out how to turn off :lol:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We're supposed to be using full realistic settings on the XR-5, including non-spherical gravity sources and gravity gradient torque. As far as ISP settings, I had orignally wanted the Vanguard to be LEO-only, but Sorindfabico is wanting to use her for some lunar missions in the future, so I may relax that restriction.

Allright, I didn't know that. Perhaps we should have a central place for this kind of information?
I am sure you can get to the moon with the Vanguard, if you fill it with fuel tanks :)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I'll put it in the summary document:)

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Can anyone else confim Discovery's arrival date as March 27? I'm still getting April 14 here...

sorindafabico

Reaction score
For settings, we can define a standard.

IMO, launchpad settings must be as realistic as possible, so:

- Complex flight model ON
- Damage and failure simulation ON
- Limited fuel ON
- Auto-refuel on pad OFF

- Nonspherical gravity sources ON
- Radiation pressure ON (we can utilize this to test a solar sail, just an idea)
- Gravity gradient torque ON

We must define the shps' parameters too. In this case we must choose if the XR5 can go to the Moon without bringing fuel in payload bay or not. It does with default settings.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I say no Moon without extra fuel. In fact, I'd like to have no Moon for the XR-5 at all, but you've already expressed a desire to send an XR-5 to the moon for mission where an Arrow isn't needed, so I won't insist on that.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
We can use a capsule for manned missions, leaving the XR5 only in case of heavy station-building.

Anyway, It's better to express all the settings here, so we can create a standard override file. :)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, the B-Crew is landing on Wednesday. Does everyone know what they are supposed to do when you touch down?

Get out & kiss the dirt? :lol:

Actually, I checked the status of Discovery today & found that we dont arrive at mercury until Sunday March 24.

I also figured out an MCC so that we can pass right under the planet at about 100km or so, to be burned ASAP.

Dvs are

Prograde -9.015 m/s
Change Plane -10.020 m/s

I also ran the scenario through to MOI. Encounter velocity was a whopping 19 km/s :blink:. When you develop strictly realistic spacecraft, the entire launch system might not have 19kps. (In fact I think the Shuttle-D wouldn't quite reach that if you included its launchers too)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Get out & kiss the dirt? :lol:
You'd have to take off your helmet for that. Not a recommended maneuver on Mercury;)

Actually, I checked the status of Discovery today & found that we dont arrive at mercury until Sunday March 24.
I think you mean April 24? You posted this on 3/25;)

I also ran the scenario through to MOI. Encounter velocity was a whopping 19 km/s :blink:. When you develop strictly realistic spacecraft, the entire launch system might not have 19kps. (In fact I think the Shuttle-D wouldn't quite reach that if you included its launchers too)
Yep, Earth-Mercury takes a lot of fuel--but don't worry, the Arrow has it. Odyssey's insertion burn took well over 20 minutes:)