Iron Hill Project Thread

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The MOI is Sunday, right ? Then I will not be here. That fixes the "who-gonna-fly-this" problem. Good luck, see you around Mercury !

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Discovery, WAMC. We show 24 hours to intercept; you're looking good. Someone should do a visual inspection of the landing gear.

Roger that WAMC, inspection will have to wait till later this week, not sure if an EVA is necessary?

We have Mercury orbital insertion!!! :hailprobe::hailprobe::hailprobe:

View attachment Discovery MOI.zip

Package includes the Arrow Discovery skin, a set of IHP UMMU suits that I whipped up (just change ID to IHP, not sure how it will look yet, so it should be tested first), and the playback with a current scenario. We definitely wont be landing any sooner than late tommorow, since we have several things left to do before PDL.

-Adjust inclination. We're at something like 87-88 degrees, not passing quite over the Iron Hill, a correction burn will be necessary.
-Need to fix boxville, not too hard, but it does need to be done before PDL starts
-WAMC Reccomends an inspection of the landing gear. Any thoughts?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Discovery, we're having trouble copying you with all the cheering down here:lol: I've got to go wash all the champagne out of my hair!

Excellent job, gentlemen:cheers::cheers::cheers:

We'll be talking itinerary over the next week or so:) But I'm pretty much turning you loose with the team. You'll have full authority to make whatever expeditions the team will agree to. I do have a couple of priorities for you though:

1) Try to make it out to Scopas Crater and Grunwald Pass, and see how the equipment's been doing. We haven't looked at it in four months;)

2) If you have enough fuel in Discovery, I'd like you to attempt a rendezvous with MESSENGER, and make an inspection by EVA. She's in a really eccentric orbit, but her figures are accurate according to the last data I looked at in the MESSENGER News thread.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Discovery, we're having trouble copying you with all the cheering down here:lol: I've got to go wash all the champagne out of my hair!

Excellent job, gentlemen:cheers::cheers::cheers:

We'll be talking itinerary over the next week or so:) But I'm pretty much turning you loose with the team. You'll have full authority to make whatever expeditions the team will agree to.

:lol:, copy that WAMC, its good to have arrived.

I havent had any contact with the B-crew in a while now. It would help if they would check in now so I at least know theyre on board. Note for those B-crew flight suits: They do work beautifully, but the flight suit texture got misnamed. It needs to be named UMmu20IHP.dds, instead of UMmuIHP20.dds. Sorry for the screwup :facepalm:

DiscoveryI do have a couple of priorities for you though:

1) Try to make it out to Scopas Crater and Grunwald Pass, and see how the equipment's been doing. We haven't looked at it in four months;)

2) If you have enough fuel in Discovery, I'd like you to attempt a rendezvous with MESSENGER, and make an inspection by EVA. She's in a really eccentric orbit, but her figures are accurate according to the last data I looked at in the MESSENGER News thread.

Will do, we can easily check out that equipment at the forward sites, so long as it hasn't been blown away by Orulex collisions (I assume it must be in a base crater)

On that rendezvous, I don't know, its probably going to use a massive amount of fuel, and if NASA could send an Arrow freighter to Mercury, they wouldn't even care about a little shrimp like MESSENGER. I would prefer to just do some ad-hoc geology traverses with that extra time, since a rendezvous will leave us down a hole in delta-vee terms: Whatever we put in we gotta take back out, & getting into that high orbit will take a lot of fuel itself.

I plan on doing the Gear deployment and inspection EVA tonight, will post the playback tommorow. If nobody else from the crew reports in by late tommorow, Ill start planning a descent time myself.

:hailprobe:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
On that rendezvous, I don't know, its probably going to use a massive amount of fuel, and if NASA could send an Arrow freighter to Mercury, they wouldn't even care about a little shrimp like MESSENGER. I would prefer to just do some ad-hoc geology traverses with that extra time, since a rendezvous will leave us down a hole in delta-vee terms: Whatever we put in we gotta take back out, & getting into that high orbit will take a lot of fuel itself.
Copy negative MESSENGER rendezvous. I had originally intended it as friendly competition with OFMM's planned inspection of the rovers:) But it's no problem--we didn't have the dV for it last time either, and I'll be thrilled enough just to see SolarLiner's live footage from the surface:thumbup:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Copy negative MESSENGER rendezvous. I had originally intended it as friendly competition with OFMM's planned inspection of the rovers:) But it's no problem--we didn't have the dV for it last time either, and I'll be thrilled enough just to see SolarLiner's live footage from the surface:thumbup:

Good to hear :thumbup:

So anyways I went out for a spacewalk last night after doing a quick 140 m/s burn to adjust our inclination (still needs some slight adjustment before PDL, our orbit is still missing the base by a bit)

View attachment Iron Hill inspection EVA.zip

EVAs are hard with the gold visor down!

Does this view ring any bells?

When was Solarliner expected to be back in contact with us?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Good God man, those are some slam-tastic pictures!:hail: Look at those scarps...that is one insanely amazing world:thumbup:
When was Solarliner expected to be back in contact with us?
Don't know...I'll PM him. Do you have a date/time for PDL yet?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good God man, those are some slam-tastic pictures!:hail: Look at those scarps...that is one insanely amazing world:thumbup:

Actually, it seems to me that the mercury seed Artlav included isn't very realistic for the planet, as it creates the scarps everywhere. I would think that mercury would look more like our moon, a little less cratered.

It just happened to be our good luck that the seed produces an almost perfect outline of the Chao meng fu crater. I couldnt believe it when I first saw it from Orbit, but it works great for our purposes.

Don't know...I'll PM him. Do you have a date/time for PDL yet?

Nope, like I said, I want to check in with the team before we plan PDL. Other than SolarLiner, most of the team seems to have lost interest. Their loss I guess :shrug:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
SolarLiner to Wideawake: Sorry, some radio problem here. (I mean, some IRL school problems with something called "Histoire des Arts", lots of sh-- happening with, but yeah)
I'll be back 04/19, so no worries, sorry for the wait !

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh, and have you coded the cots and the mass-spec yet? They don't have to do anything, just sit there and look pretty;)

Well in that case, we don't even need a dll, as a UCGO config will do. What meshes am I using for this?

SolarLiner to Wideawake: Sorry, some radio problem here. (I mean, some IRL school problems with something called "Histoire des Arts", lots of sh-- happening with, but yeah)
I'll be back 04/19, so no worries, sorry for the wait !

No problem, although the only art history I can remember doing was actually not bad, probably thanks to a good teacher. ;)

Please make sure to download the last two packages I posted. There are some goodies in them that you will want to have.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, but this new French educational program is bad, and we skipped the most important of the cold war: Space Conquest. I don't like my teatcher that much too :p
Stop speaking about boring things: I'll download your packs ASAP, and I will be ready for Saturday 12:00 GMT to 16:00 GMT.
(Yep, new date because of the good part of my school: european english. We are doing a classical: Romeo & Juliet. And I die in Juliet's arms. Who am I ? :lol: )

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
What meshes am I using for this?
I sent them to you some time ago...but I'll have to look about to see how and where I sent them:uhh:

Just want to let everyone know that I may be out of contact for an undetermined period of time...I'm sending this from the county library, as my modem died:( But I ordered a new one, free of charge, since the old one was still under warranty:thumbup:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sad news for the comms, we are about to do the landing here in Discovery. The scorched lands (an I maintain this therm :p) is waiting !

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Okay, I compiled a custom version of the RealTime. Now searching and downloading packs and last update...

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Didn't found any scenarios after your trajectory correction. Or is it in your EVA zipfile ?

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I sent them to you some time ago...but I'll have to look about to see how and where I sent them:uhh:

Just want to let everyone know that I may be out of contact for an undetermined period of time...I'm sending this from the county library, as my modem died:( But I ordered a new one, free of charge, since the old one was still under warranty:thumbup:

Oh those. I remembered getting those a while ago, but theyy were in blender format, I would really appreciate if you could get them into mesh format (3ds will work too)

Sad news for the comms, we are about to do the landing here in Discovery. The scorched lands (an I maintain this therm :p) is waiting !

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Okay, I compiled a custom version of the RealTime. Now searching and downloading packs and last update...

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Didn't found any scenarios after your trajectory correction. Or is it in your EVA zipfile ?

Oops, yes I posted everything except the latest scn. Ill put that up next chance I get. When do you want to do PDL?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh those. I remembered getting those a while ago, but theyy were in blender format, I would really appreciate if you could get them into mesh format (3ds will work too).

If you ever find them, send me them, I will convert them to msh format ;)

Oops, yes I posted everything except the latest scn. I'll put that up next chance I get. When do you want to do PDL?
When you want. I am in holidays for the next two weeks, but as I go to the beach the second one, I am ready to do anything for the week. Please tell me any date you want (in GMT format please, I don't understand that PST or something) !

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bruce, here are the meshes for the waste tank and the mass spectrometer. I haven't tried to do the hydroponics tank yet.

If you ever find them, send me them, I will convert them to msh format ;)

Bruce, here are the meshes for the waste tank and the mass spectrometer. I haven't tried to do the hydroponics tank yet.

Right there :thumbup:

If the attachment link didn't carry, its post 1037 in this thread.

When you want. I am in holidays for the next two weeks, but as I go to the beach the second one, I am ready to do anything for the week. Please tell me any date you want (in GMT format please, I don't understand that PST or something) !

Well, I have a similarly wide-open schedule this week (small miracle of coincidence if you ask me). Assuming that you want to fly PDL, hows tommorow sound?

View attachment Discovery Go for Landing.scn

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you are okay, so this evening (04/23 at ~18:30 GMT, I will look for a good PDL winidow) seem good to me.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Actually, it seems to me that the mercury seed Artlav included isn't very realistic for the planet,

Some real altimetry data is being published for Mercury:

004489_10_fig3.jpg

From: http://spie.org/x90879.xml (Mapping the topography of Mercury with MESSENGER laser altimetry)