Iron Hill Project Thread

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, watched the playback again, and Discovery were at 410K of fuel at final base approach, which is I believe ~50% of the Arrow's capacity. Again, sorry for that.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ehh? What's to be sorry about? A trip from Earth to Mercury without any slings takes a lot of fuel. Not your fault.

Yeah, other than Venus, slingshots are a little hard to come by...

My apologies, but can anyone update me on whats going on? Ive lost track of the changes occuring right now, and Im not sure what needs to be downloaded & installed.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Just download the file in my sig. All the needed addons are listed in the B-Crew Signup thread. In addition, you will need the two files I linked to in post #1337, and make sure you install and enable dgatsoulis's IronHill module.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Just made another update to the file.
Since we are running two projects at once right now, all team members should always update from the file in my sig before doing anything in the project, even if it isn't necessary.

:tiphat:

---------- Post added 04-27-13 at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-26-13 at 04:47 PM ----------

I need email addresses from all team members, so I can invite you into the RTI folder.

---------- Post added 04-28-13 at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-27-13 at 12:34 PM ----------

ISS-0 failed to reach ISS, but we did prove the viability of Dropbox as a mission management system. Changes have been been made, so everyone needs to update.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Scenario updated and cleaned avaliable in Dropbox. I opened a thread in the social group to check this, so we won't need to flood here with "scenario updated" posts ;)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Alright, gentlemen. We need to focus on one thing at a time. For now, let's put any further Earth ops on hold, until Bruce has a chance to get things going on Mercury. After he does the first EVA, then we'll work on splitting the file up.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Alright, gentlemen. We need to focus on one thing at a time. For now, let's put any further Earth ops on hold, until Bruce has a chance to get things going on Mercury. After he does the first EVA, then we'll work on splitting the file up.

Why thankyou :)

Actually, things have been quiet here lately. I would like to check in with Solarliner to see whether we will be using the new Orulex height maps that 4throck made. I would recommend it, since they do look very nice.

Anyways, I'll just plan on doing a drive around tonight inside the Iron Hill base crater. Ill take our rover, and maybe one of the other UMMUs with me just to scout things out. Once the playback is up tommorow, I guess we can split the scenario files & carry on.

:hailprobe:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I cannot use Ourlex since I use D3D9 to boost my FPS. But I can rip the heightmap and do a local mesh for a part of the crater.
I WANT TO be on the rover man, even if I do nothing, it could be amazing doing nothing on scorched lands :lol:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I cannot use Ourlex since I use D3D9 to boost my FPS. But I can rip the heightmap and do a local mesh for a part of the crater.
I WANT TO be on the rover man, even if I do nothing, it could be amazing doing nothing on scorched lands :lol:

How slow does it get? There are ways of reducing the performance impact of it if you use the configuration tool. I can try to help you work some of those things out.

Thats actually a great idea too, wouldnt it be nice if Orulex could export terrain meshes.

If its okay, Im going to do that drive around tonight, Ill make sure to take your UMMU as well ;)

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How slow does it get? There are ways of reducing the performance impact of it if you use the configuration tool.

I know what the ourlex configuration tool do, but since I'm on my laptop (vacation house) and not on my PC, the inline client gives me a nice 12 FPS when nothing but the DG flying out of the solar system. So imagine with any terrain :compbash:

So yeah, I can't for now, but ASAP I'll enlable Ourlex and admire the wiew :thumbup:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
12 fps ? That's too low. Check settings like cleartype / window or fullscreen / colordepth / vistaboost, etc.

As for the terrain meshes... the heightmap I used for Mercury is in BMP format. Quite trivial to convert into a mesh.
You can also work directly from the NASA mapping site, since you have both the altimetry (northern hemisphere only) and image data geo-referenced.

See here:
http://ode.rsl.wustl.edu/mercury/indexMapSearch.aspx

Have fun !

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Take pictures please? :camera:
And keep up the great work, I like eavesdropping/lurking on what you guys are doing

Gasp!

We have a stalker :lol:

I wish you had signed up for this flight. 3/5 of our original team aren't participating right now unfortunately.

I know what the ourlex configuration tool do, but since I'm on my laptop (vacation house) and not on my PC, the inline client gives me a nice 12 FPS when nothing but the DG flying out of the solar system. So imagine with any terrain :compbash:

So yeah, I can't for now, but ASAP I'll enlable Ourlex and admire the wiew :thumbup:

Ah I see, sorry to bug you with that

12 fps ? That's too low. Check settings like cleartype / window or fullscreen / colordepth / vistaboost, etc.

As for the terrain meshes... the heightmap I used for Mercury is in BMP format. Quite trivial to convert into a mesh.
You can also work directly from the NASA mapping site, since you have both the altimetry (northern hemisphere only) and image data geo-referenced.

See here:
http://ode.rsl.wustl.edu/mercury/indexMapSearch.aspx

Have fun !

Maybe its just not a high performance laptop? :shrug:

I mean, the whole point of a laptop is to be portable, not a fast gaming machine...

I really like the terrain you did, but I dont think we will be using it unfortunately. The new terrain puts the Iron hill & Scopas at the bottom of craters about 5km deep. We were planning on having a bit of an easier exit than that :lol:

So anyways, here are the goods from last nights EVA.

View attachment Iron Hill EVA-B1.zip

The solar panels that were left at the base camp are now deployed near the part of the crater that I first suggested as an exit point.

Unfortunately, it may not be as good of an exit as I had thought, certain parts are really steep. This would probably be our best route to get through it.

We went for a ride around the crater towards the other side, opposite the sun. I may have found a better route out over there.

It is hard to see, but once we get up that first slope, it should be smooth sailing. The only part Im not sure about is getting down off the crater ridge on the other side, but I think its okay too.

Control does appear difficult, maybe due to that polar bug you mentioned Tmac? I nearly spun out over here.

After getting back to base camp, my UMMU boarded Discovery...

And fetched another flag to complement the one the A-crew left behind

"Vive La France!"

I 'll need to find out what other flags we can put up for the rest of the crew. I want to make a Canadian one too.

I also did some work on that new expansion I mentioned.

And the rough base plan for how it will all be laid out.

Once we have the modules done, we can do some "digging", and pile up some dirt alongside each of the modules for protection. (translation: Ill mesh it)

Add in a little observatory vessel like in the diagram and a landing pad or two, and we should have one of the coolest surface bases Orbiter has ever seen :thumbup:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Great job, guys!

Why didn't I think of moving the commander's quarters to another room? Now Bruce can leave those Playboys out on his bunk:lol:

The base is looking great:thumbup:

I'd like to see SolarLiner lead the next EVA, so we can watch it live:)

Bruce, I need an email address from you, so I can invite to the Dropbox folder.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

I wish you had signed up for this flight. 3/5 of our original team aren't participating right now unfortunately.
Yeah! I'd love to have the 'Cruiser along with us for the third flight:)

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you have something for me to do for May, 10th ...

So that's when you'll be available?

I can probably squeeze in at least one EVA before then, but Ill leave the first attempt at breaking out of the crater for you ;)

EVA-B2 will focus on construction, hopefully that of the base expansion. I figure Ill get to it around Friday this week.