Iron Hill Project Thread

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some real altimetry data is being published for Mercury:

004489_10_fig3.jpg

From: http://spie.org/x90879.xml (Mapping the topography of Mercury with MESSENGER laser altimetry)

Cool, although that data is basically useless for us, since it doesnt cover the south pole at all. Is MESSENGER the first probe to do any altimetry measurements?

If you are okay, so this evening (04/23 at ~18:30 GMT, I will look for a good PDL winidow) seem good to me.

Sounds great. Actually, Im going to be away from the house for a bit, so I wont be available in Quakenet. Is that okay with you?

Just a FYI, I reccomend PDL before saving the scenario at all, since all of those UCGO AFC repack lines are pulled out of the scenario at the moment. You also will need to make some sort of a plane change, since our orbit is still not quite perfectly aligned. That last burn I did wasnt quite enough unfortunately.

Just to be a pain, since we're the second flight, now we have to hit the landing zone perfectly ;). Try not to blow away any of the landing lights eh?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any aerial picture of the base ? To not destroy these landing lights ... :p
I have the tools to align the orbit perfectly, and to land on one meter across !

At least, if you can watch the stream of the descent: http://twitch.tv/Iron_Hill it is okay for me ;)

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

DOI is at 17:01:06 GMT. No planned window for PDI at the moment.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

PDI confirmed for 18:50 GMT ! Discovery is going to touch the F*kin' scrorched lands ! :lol:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Cool, although that data is basically useless for us, since it doesnt cover the south pole at all. Is MESSENGER the first probe to do any altimetry measurements?

No. There is topography of the south pole from Mariner stereo images...
http://europlanet.dlr.de/node/index.php?id=524
49195bae08.png

As far as I know, there isn't a global dataset for Mercury. I started messing with it but stopped due to other projects ( I did release the Venus altimetry though :) )
But really must look into Mercury again...

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here we go ! Discovery is on Mercury, all the crew is resting in their respective (hotel) rooms, the cargo is out for you Bruce, and Tmac will fix my heart (broke so many times 'cause of (girl)friends ... :lol:)

And for the waited scenario file:

Attachments

• Iron Hill Projecy - Cargo out, crew rested.scn
    21.5 KB · Views: 4

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Discovery has landed:woohoo:
Fantastic job, everyone!

We left some cargo behind last time, including some solar panels. I'd like you guys to set up the solar farm in the sun-lit part of the crater at some point.

There's a base diagram in this thread, way back toward the beginning, post #105. I'd like to attach the hydroponics module to the science lab, and the lavatory to the wardroom.

Again, it's great to see everyone has arrived safe and sound. Bruce, they're all yours:thumbup:

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Here's a repeat of the project file, with everyone's heartbeats corrected, and the unpack bug held at bay:p

And also, the 3DS mesh files for the waste tank and the mass spec. I had a cot around here somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment:(

Attachments

• The Iron Hill Project.scn
    20.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IHP Meshes.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Discovery has landed:woohoo:
Fantastic job, everyone!

We left some cargo behind last time, including some solar panels. I'd like you guys to set up the solar farm in the sun-lit part of the crater at some point.

There's a base diagram in this thread, way back toward the beginning, post #105. I'd like to attach the hydroponics module to the science lab, and the lavatory to the wardroom.

Again, it's great to see everyone has arrived safe and sound. Bruce, they're all yours:thumbup:

Good to be here WAMC.

Ill check that diagram, and I might have an addition in store for you. My only complaint about the base is that it seems much too cramped & hard to navigate. I could try to mesh a sort of common area building to go right here though:

Hows that sound?

Special bonus for you TMac: Artificial Sun Texture
Plus the landing video: http://www.twitch.tv/iron_hill/c/2195435

Great stuff, although 3d sun doesnt work well with it, so Ill just shut off the 3d sun planet in my sol cfg. I cant access the playback now, but Ill try to watch it as soon as I can.

Here's a repeat of the project file, with everyone's heartbeats corrected, and the unpack bug held at bay:p

And also, the 3DS mesh files for the waste tank and the mass spec. I had a cot around here somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment:(

Great, Ill check those out. :cheers:

I did some quick recon work & decided on some preliminary routes for EVAs.

The near side of the crater in this picture looks like our best exit for traverses. Its not obvious in the photograph, but when you pan around the camera in Orbiter, you'll see why.

Two quick n dirty traverse plans:

For reference Tmac, how long did it take to drive to Grunwald pass?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
For reference Tmac, how long did it take to drive to Grunwald pass?
:uhh:about 45 minutes I think.
Scopas is the big one...that's about a 5 hour drive;) For that, you just set the rover going in the right direction, and go do something else for a while:lol:

The common area looks okay, but they'd have to go through the commander's quarters to get there. Better hide your Playboys:shifty:
Besides, that's kind of what the wardroom is for (the room with the two tables).

Thanks for the plans...looks to me like you're on top of this:thumbup:

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
SolarLiner, that problem with the rover is just an unexpected glitch. Just go aboard Discovery, raise the rover lift, and then lower it again. That should fix it.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:uhh:about 45 minutes I think.
Scopas is the big one...that's about a 5 hour drive;) For that, you just set the rover going in the right direction, and go do something else for a while:lol:

The common area looks okay, but they'd have to go through the commander's quarters to get there. Better hide your Playboys:shifty:
Besides, that's kind of what the wardroom is for (the room with the two tables).

Thanks for the plans...looks to me like you're on top of this:thumbup:

Good stuff, maybe I can move that common area to the other side of the base eh? ;)

On the topic of Scopas, we can but I dont know if it would be "safe". In the couple months since Odyssey left, the terminator line is now rotated almost 60 degrees from it. Given the slow rotation of the planet, we might have to think about doing our traverse to other locations in better shadow cover.

Actually, though, what if we happened to have an unmanned rover onboard...

I didn't activated Ourlex during the PDL, I'll check if it is compatible with D3D9...

Uh-oh, nope, from what I remember, Orulex is not D3D9 compatible (although you can still try if you want). I would immensely prefer if we use it, since a lot of the geology traverses will be much better for it, but if your computer cant run it, I wont force it on you.

:hailprobe:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ourlex does effectively not work with D3D9 - for geological stuff, I will switch to the inline client ;)
I re-extended Azure, and it works now.
I modified the IronHill part of the scn: my DLL was named differently, so it didn't work. Name fixed now ;)
I took a little tour in EVA, my breath in great now.

I converted these 3ds files for you (and there is that usual scn file) :

Attachments

• IHP Orbiter Meshes.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IHP Discovery - Admired the base and re-extended the Azure.scn
    20.9 KB · Views: 4

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Double post here, sorry, meant to be the end of my previous post on the previous page (with the corrected scenario and converted meshes)

Great stuff, although 3d sun doesnt work well with it, so Ill just shut off the 3d sun planet in my sol cfg. I cant access the playback now, but Ill try to watch it as soon as I can.

Yep, I can try to make you a version for the DagoO's 3D Sun.
The playback works just fine for me, in connected or non-connected mode.

EDIT: 90 pages now !

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Watching playback again, I forgot to disable "Auto refuel on pad", and the Arrow got a full fuel thank. Is that okay ?

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Watching playback again, I forgot to disable "Auto refuel on pad", and the Arrow got a full fuel thank. Is that okay ?
Definitely NOT okay. But not anything to freak over...I'm sure we can find a state with the correct fuel amount;)

I am about to post a version of The Iron Hill Project.scn in DropBox. Everyone will need to download the following addons to avoid a CTD:
http://orbithangar.com/search_quick.php?text=iss+ucgo&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5442"]SpaceX launch vehicles and Dragon[/ame]

sorindafabico

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6070"]Mercury heightmap + Level 9 global textures[/ame] by 4th rock.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Indeed :thumbup: Don't know if it's useful for this project, but the screenshots were served as motivation.

I had to throw in a L9 global texture because the previous one didn't match. The add-on screenshot really doesn't do it much justice though....

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I get a CTD with the newest version of the scenario file. The problem is I have no cfg for a base on mercury, but the azure rover is landed here: BASE Iron Hill:1

I can't find a Iron Hill.cfg in here. Any ideas who and when it was added?