Question Is orbiter.dansteph and orbiterfrancophone down or have problems ?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
dbeachy1, what about the beta version of UCGO, and the DeltaGliderIV?

Sorry, I don't have either of those on my hard drive (the last DGIV install image I have is from 2007). I'm sure DanSteph will have his site back up and running soon -- hang in there. :)

pilotrendevous

Reaction score
Actually, I saw him online for just a split second. It was two, maybe three days before i couldn't access the site anymore, my computer says it took to long to respond, so he may be trying to upload the finished product of UCGO, UMMU, and the DGIV and its just too much info for our computers to handle at the moment.

Last edited:

Frankynov

Reaction score
Just in case of, I've kept the 4.0 beta version of Orbiter Sound and Delta Glider IV beta, but not UCGO
If you want them, just pm me and I'll send you the links :)

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
In short:

Server is down, I'll move the whole stuff to another provider.
And Orbiter 4.0 is final since a long time, I'm surprised to hear about that "beta" !?
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=29598

While waiting the new site I'll upload the whole stuff to orbithangars

------------------------------
The whole story:

My remote server's at OVH was paid until September but as it was very old (2005) they discontinued it so we should move to a new one. They said they send me a signed letter before the shut down so I had time to migrate but I never received it and was surprised to see it down and get (after three days of questions) the answer : "sorry, discontinued you'll have to buy a new server and migrate over there"

Expiration date September 17 - message "server expired" :facepalm:
14425920130703190418.jpg

Problem is that the site is off-line as are the backup, so now I wait that the put it online again to get back the data. Once done I'll move to another provider because the never-sent-letter, the shut down of the whole stuff also with the site's ftp backup, the three days waiting for support's answer p*** me off. (800 euro per years since 2005, thanks for nothing)

The site is not very complicated to redo but migrating from my custom forum to a new system (compatible php 5 etc) might take time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About DGIV and UCGO :

I'll make some modifications and bug clearing and release the whole stuff like that, first because it's almost finished and fully functional and second because given the lack of reaction I think it's time to move up from community. I'll still support forums and community until the end but I cannot spend anymore 8 month of work full time for such few feedback. Thanks success and rewards are our bread (either that either money ;) )

Anyway I had a great time with the community and a lot of pleasure making addons. I will miss it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About addons on orbiterfrancophon :

Orbiterfrancophon was written by another user which has left the community and it would be very time consuming to redo it on php 5. (He was a also new to php so the code is hard to correct)
I'll probably upload only 2-3 addons to orbithangars (the most recents) and give up with the other unless someone want to help.

Last edited:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Dan, I meant what I said to you in an email so long ago: That the DGIV was one of the best addons I've ever seen.

I wish you the best in whatever you're going to do; I know it's going to be great. It has to be -- you're at the helm, and you're just that talented. :)

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dansteph, your DGIV is what I learned Orbiter on. Your UMMUs are vital to pretty much all I do in the sim. It is not the same sim without Orbiter Sound. The Arrow is a masterful work, and true add-on. Solid, complete, stable. I have had a blast trying it out and seeing what it can do. It was a great day when you updated the DGIV to be compatible with graphics clients. It was like seeing an old and dear friend again after a long time apart.

Orbiter is not orbiter without some essential add-ons. Many of which are your handiwork.

So feedback be damned, you are what all add-on developers should compare them selves with. The ingenuity, the originality, the design, the support, the lack of bugs.

And I enjoy your site's forum as well.

So :cheers: You have earned many many thanks from everyone who has dared to leave the atmosphere in Orbiter. And what ever you do in life, best of luck. And blue skies.

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Honestly, the DGIV is the best add-on for Orbiter, hands down. I learned most of what I know in Orbiter from flying it, and I operate that more than any other spacecraft in Orbiter. Your a great add-on developer, one of the best on the forum, and its sad to see you move on, but I understand where you're coming from. Good luck in any future endeavor you may pursue, I know you'll do great. :cheers:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The DGIV was the first addon I downloaded when I first launched Orbiter 2006 back in 2010. I'm still using it this very day. Your work has been an impact on the community. You will definitely be missed. Have a great, and much needed vacation from addon developing. :cheers:

Jamie

TEuiTMy.png

The crew would like to wish you a pleasant evening. ;)

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dan, I'm really sorry to hear about your problems, and that you also feel underappreciated.

It's certainly true that we are not as appreciative as we could be, but if there has been a lack of comments expressing gratitude, think of the number of skins and scenarios based around your work. Many of our users are younger and are used to free apps and DLCs, and they don't usually think about the work that went behind content like that.

The amount of Dan-Steph based Orbiter activity, I think, reflects how great you are within this community (and the same words apply also to PapyRef, Momo, Jekka and all the francophoners).

We think you are the MAN - Dan the MAN - and it would be a great pity if you didn't know that, and feel how much we appreciate your work.

:tiphat:

Screamer7

Reaction score
Dan, I echo all the post above.
Without your contribution Orbiter would not be as what it is today.
All the people in the Orbiter cummunity love your work.
Do not even once doubt that!

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
DanSteph, if you ever decide to go you'll be real missed, the whole Orbiter community owes you for lifetime, but I understand your disappointment...
Without your add-ons, Orbiter would not be the same for me.

I translated for my website this 2010 TechHaze interview to Martin:
http://techhaze.com/2010/06/interview-with-orbiter-sim-creator-martin-schweiger/

He said about your add-ons:

TH: Of all the add-ons that have been created, which ones are you favorite?
MS: Tricky – I hardly ever have opportunity to use addons, because most of the time I am running orbiter for bug fixing and feature enhancements, where addons would only get in the way. Usually the only situation where I install an addon is where it is required to reproduce a bug.
Having said that, I guess the favourite addon that I did try is Dansteph’s sound addon. It is a really essential component and increases the whole experience a lot.

:hailprobe:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Dan,your addons,are the best period,I can't think of a time in orbiter when I wasn't using your DGIV it's ashame you feel the way you do,thanks,for all your hard work,and I wish you the best in the future.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well said. Orbiter really is a different experience without Orbitersound.

And the DGIV is quite probably the workhorse of many an Orbinaut's fleet. These, together with UCGO are pretty much the first things on my "must have downloads" list. And in pretty much that order.... Sound, DGIV (with UMMU of course) and UCGO. With the UCGO converted Shuttle-A in the mix, any user can stay occupied for years!

Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Dan, you know my opinion about this subject... even if I am in agreement with you ...
the fact that you "disappear" makes me very sad ... (I am a follower of your add-ons and your forum since more than 10 years ):hail:

Please... do not leave us ...:tumbleweed:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Please... do not leave us ...:tumbleweed:

I'm not really "leaving" I'll still promote and support the community (until the
very end :) ) and maintain my site and forum. I'll probably also update
OrbiterSound (at least) if a new Orbiter comes up. But I cannot sustain
any-more eight month for free for such few reactions, I'm not rich at all and
the whole story is about exchange : authors give their time, users must also
give some of their time at least to click some "thanks", make comments or
better, participate.

BTW thanks for those that have wrote in this thread here :)

It's also possible that the community get some fresh air with a new Orbiter
version. If I can solve my money problem I'd be back as in the first day. :lol:

I absolutely LOVE to make addons for Orbiter, the SDK is amazing, there is
still a lot of possibility.

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Always here to help ! If it is for building a new functional PHP5 french addon site, I can do something for that. If it is for helping uploading the french addons on OHM, I'm here too, but it depends on what addon should be uploaded (as I don't have all, "oeuf course").

You, Dan, are one who makes Orbiter the most enjoyable simulator (and FSX too, with FS Passengers). :hailprobe:

sitha241

Reaction score
Hi dan :)
I have been playing Orbiter since 2008 and without your addons it would not be the same.
I explored and still exploring mainly in your Arrow and DGIV and I am so fascinated with DGIV that I am now in process of getting funds from university to build full and tiltable DGIV simpit for students to learn orbital mechanics and for public to expirience spaceflight during festival of science..
Thank you for your addons one more time :)

And if I win that ticket to suborbital flight you,martin and rest of OF guys will get nice hello from 100 km above planet :)

Last edited: