Updates James Webb Space Telescope updates

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
As of October 2019, the project had used about 76 percent of its available schedule reserve and no longer plans to launch in November 2020 (see figure). The project is now managing to a March 2021 launch date but estimates only a 12 percent likelihood that this date will be achieved. NASA plans to reassess the launch date in the spring of 2020.
http://spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=53234
:worfleave:

Keatah

Reaction score
They better not launch it in March, or any other time. Tens of thousands of jobs will be lost if they do. This is a political shelter thing ya'll know. And if they did launch it it'll be outdated. So why bother? Has any other program been delayed this long ever?

Keep it as the training program it is.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The launch of the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope (Webb) on an Ariane 5 rocket from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana is now planned for 31 October 2021.

NASA has announced the decision, based on a recently completed schedule risk assessment of the remaining integration and test activities before launch, accounting for impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic and technical challenges. Previously, Webb was targeted to launch in March 2021.

https://www.esa.int/Science_Explora...ebb_Space_Telescope_to_launch_in_October_2021

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I don't think JWST will ever launch this year, because it has gone to several decades of testing, because JWST will orbit around the Earth-Sun L2 point, the orbit of inaccessibility by humans.

Edit: The previous revision said that it was L1 point.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Better not rush it. Hubble had to be repaired short after launch. Won't be an option with JWST, it has to work. Given the money and time invested in that project I can understand NASA is a bit cautious.

Also Hubble was a revolution in astronomy. It now has to be replaced, and failure is not an option. It would be a severe setback.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope Has Completed Testing​

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2021/nasa-s-james-webb-space-telescope-has-completed-testing
webbcomplete2_copy.jpg

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
NASA is still saying launch in 2021:

Are they still aiming for 31 October? I had heard that there was an issue with the Ariane V fairing that needed to be resolved.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I was in the firm belief that the telescope was flying on Ariane 6

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes Ariane 6 faced many delays. One of the reasons is probably that Ariane 5 now just works really well...

And JWST is the kind of unique payload that require excellent reliability, would be too risky to fly it on a "young" vehicle anyways. Right now I think Ariane 5 is really well-suited for the task.