Question Life inside interplanetary spacecraft

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I was wondering how life should be inside an interplanetary spacecraft.
Many movies try to depict a monster in the closet to give some emotion to space travel.

But I figure out it should be like living in a space station, but unlike a station in LEO it should be surrounded by a black sky all the time and it should be self sufficient.

Life would be routine mostly, living as if it was an Amish community, taking care of growing the food and checking everything is all right.

For a movie building the spacecraft should be really cheap as it does not require too much. Just one big set and a background with static stars. What would make such a life interesting for a movie? For a movie it looks mostly as exciting as watching the grass to grow...

What would be a typical day inside a spacecraft?

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
You are correct. Life inside an interplanetary spacecraft would be fairly routine. However, there would be occasional mad dashes for the radiation shelters when you have incoming solar flares.

natey787

Reaction score
There's a passage in Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey (the book) that describes, in detail, a day in the life of David Bowman and Frank Poole on the Discovery One. It is of course very sci-fi, but I would imagine that the 'feel' of it would apply to life on any 'present day' spacecraft.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
This might be a good starting point -> [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyjRc_oxKV4"]YouTube- Part 1: A Day In The Life Onboard The ISS[/nomedia]

It's part one of some video journals Garrett Resiman filmed on the ISS. "A day in the life of the ISS".

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Considering that VASIMR attached to a fusion source will get you to mars in 30 days I suspect that time will be most spent preparing for the landing and science objectives ahead.

Issue is people keep making these missions out to be some chemically propelled 6 month oddesy into loneliness or madness or whatever.