News London 2012: Missiles may be placed at residential flats.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sites made public now. Check if you are protected:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18690861

Some 100 sites were considered as locations for ground missiles, before this was narrowed down to the six final sites which were deemed to offer the best possible protection to the Olympic Park and surrounding area against any air threat.

The sites, and the specific systems to be deployed at them, are:

Lexington Building, Fairfield Road, Bow, Tower Hamlets - high-velocity missile

Fred Wigg Tower, Montague Road Estate, Waltham Forest - high-velocity missile

Blackheath Common, Blackheath (Lewisham/Greenwich) - rapier

William Girling Reservoir, Lea Valley Reservoir Chain, Enfield - rapier

Oxleas Meadow, Shooters Hill, Greenwich/Woolwich - rapier

Barn Hill, Netherhouse Farm, Epping Forest - rapier

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
LOL... now we would need to put simulation models of the missiles into Orbiter and count how many people we could "score" if we would just send a RC drone into the fire zone.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Culturally, we aren't used to displays of military stuff in the UK, probably why air-displays attract the largest outdoor audiences here. Unless you live in a garrison town, you rarely see uniforms.
I remember being quite shocked when armed police turned up at Heathrow Airport.

Be interesting to see how this affects peoples attitude to a higher military profile here. Hopefully we don't get one of these:
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre"]Peterloo Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am still more concerned that it creates a false sense of security. If a plane would be hijacked, by the time it gets in range for the very noble British SAMs (Since you can't fire them before you can see the white in their eyes), it is too close to prevent damage, any defense would be a pyrrhic victory ("One more such victory and I will be undone").

It would be better to not have them deployed, but instead invest the money into something that works. For example more coppers on the streets, even further away from the city of London.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Can't argue with you, but from a politicians point of view(not usually on their side!), you have to be seen to be doing something. We can assume these are the (transparent?) smoke screen, and more subtle things are going on unseen.

Its an awful thing to say, but the troubles in Northern Ireland have sort of inured the UK to terrorist threats. Bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
You have a higher probablity with the Olympics as its an obvious target, so, would they strike somewhere else.
Who knows, till the underlying problems are solved, we are all targets.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You have a higher probablity with the Olympics as its an obvious target, so, would they strike somewhere else.

They would also have to strike where TV cameras are. During the Olympics, you could bomb Staines into pieces, and nobody in London would even notice it before the Olympics are over.

Who knows, till the underlying problems are solved, we are all targets.

Artill.....Terrorists know no friends or foes, only hard and soft targets. :lol:

Sad but true. But still, fighting real terrorists is better than fighting imaginary ones. And there is hardly a better target than London these days. Israel for example takes part with 36 athletes, the USA with 525.

Any terror organisation that is worth its money should have a plan or more in its pocket how to score in London. Especially since London is impossible to control as whole. It is all terrible vulnerable, especially compared to other places in the past.

I can't tell what MI5 is up to there, but my feeling is, they can't fix the vast amount of errors done by the officials in planning this event.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_for_the_2012_Summer_Olympics"]Security for the 2012 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

I just looked at where they wanted to put the missiles... really great security... the missile screen is one big hole with some tiny missile sites around its circumference. Only the Eltham site and the two Starstreaks would even appear on a 1:50000 map centered on the olympic stadium.

But OSM already contains the "Lexington Water Tower Missile Base". :lol:

Unless the RAF does extra hours the next weeks, there is really no defense in the air.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, Urwumpe, if I wasn't already leaving town, I probably would now!:)

I suppose one 'good' thing is that the security sevices will have more terrorist activty
to monitor.
Guessing the stealthy ones will be the most dangerous.

Re: Staines. Last time I passed through, it looked like it had just been bombed, maybe it always looks like that?

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aren't there security cameras all over London spying on every person's comings and goings? What happened to promises that that would make everyone safe?

Just install Orwell's telescreens and get it over with.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
We have lots of cameras, thousands of them. Unfortunately, the system came with Betamax...

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its worse, the audio is on 8-track, not even mini-disc...or L-Cassette...
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elcaset[/ame]

N.