Phantom receives guests at Polygon

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
John Kirby and Cleveland Davis stood just inside Polygon’s passenger terminal when the screeching of a hard-breaking golf cart diverted their attention towards the main doors. Maria Kolsov rushed in wearing her flight suit and flight bag, making a mad dash towards the woman’s restroom. A quick glance at each other with an implied shrug between them, they again watched the horizon through the massive terminal windows, looking for a speck to emerge out of the haze that would signal the arrival of Nancy Davis (Cleveland’s wife) and Victor Patel (head of Phantom Manufacturing’s Space Division). One of the facilities staff members armed with a clipboard, glancing in their direction he announced in better than average broken English that the arriving flight was just a few minutes out.

As if on cue, various pieces of support equipment rolled into view along the tarmac, a fuel truck parking a short distance away, while the luggage train and myriad other vehicles moved closer to the building. Various personnel took their stations in preparation for the incoming aircraft.
Maria made her exit from the restroom having changed from flight suit to a yellow and white sundress with hair and makeup done to impress, dropping her bag into one of the lounge chairs she approached the pair and without ceremony punched Kirby hard in the bicep.

“Uhh. Ouch?” Kirby looked at Maria with a very curious expression.

“I googled you”, Maria said, looking somewhat satisfied, “I thought you worked for Phantom Manufacturing; you never mentioned that you owned Phantom Manufacturing”. Hands on her hips, Maria took the stance that every man recognizes as that of a woman expecting an explanation.
Cleveland did a poor job of stifling his laughter as Kirby began to massage his arm.

“How’d you go from work clothes to party clothes in six minutes” he asked her, “And, can you teach that trick to Nancy when she gets here?”
“Sorry Cleveland, it’s an ancient Malay secret. I may be able to drop some hints though” she smiled at Cleveland, then turning back towards Kirby with a Well? I’m waiting expression.

“Don’t blame him” Cleveland interjected “His exaltedness often forgets his place when he’s among us normal peoples, right Kirb?” Grinning broadly he gave Kirby a friendly punch, in pretty much the same spot Maria had landed hers.

“Man! That’s gonna leave a mark. You two are not funny”, Kirby began to retreat towards the doors.

As Maria closed in on him he was saved by the whine of an Antonov 148 currently on short-final. Making a dash for the doors, Kirby made his escape outside into the equatorial heat and made his way down towards the ramp. As he was joined on either side by Cleveland and Maria, she rose up on her toes and kissed him on the cheek. “It’s OK, I forgive you.” She smiled as she slipped her hand into his.

“Wait a minute, you forgive me. You punched me, right?” He asked.
“Exactly, and now you’re forgiven.” She smiled again, wiping a slight touch of lipstick from his cheek with her thumb.
Kirby sighed and looked over at his friend. Cleveland for his part, just grinned and put on his aviator sunglasses, and began rolling up the sleeves of his flight suit as if nothing had happened.

As they watched the jet taxi from the runway Kirby was taken by the sight. “That’s a pretty good looking plane Cleve. Any idea of the range of one of those?”
Cleveland gave Kirby a thoughtful look and performed some quick mental calculations. “I don’t think it’d make it in a straight shot. You’d have to refuel at Port Moresby, but I think she could do what I think you’ve got in mind.”
Kirby tapped a note to himself into his phone with his free hand as Cleveland hummed a reggae tune and Maria watched with a quiet interest. “Don’t you have one of those already?” she asked, nodding towards the enormous 225 parked in the distance.
“I guess I do” he replied, “But you must admit, it does have some limited uses.”

The regional jet rolled to a stop only to be gang-tackled as the ground crew clustered around her. In a chaotic dance of men and machine the door was eventually opened and a short set of stairs folded out of the aircraft. Several seconds later passengers started to emerge to either make their way to the waiting transports or towards the terminal. As Cleveland spied his wife making her exit, his calm demeanor melted away and he took off at a run towards the plane. When Nancy’s shoes hit the tarmac she raced in the reciprocal direction, embracing her husband and planting a full-on kiss as they pulled towards one another. As Cleveland took Nancy’s arm in his from behind him he heard “Hey! Does nobody want to give me a greeting like that?”
Cleveland grinned broadly at Victor Patel, spreading his arms wide. “Well if you insist!”
Victor quickly stuck his hand out in greeting instead “I’ll settle for a shake, forget I said anything.” Cleveland caught him in a bear hug anyway and the trio headed towards the waiting Kirby and Maria.

Nancy flashed a smile as big as anything Cleveland was capable of when she saw Kirby. Dropping her husband’s arm she pulled Kirby close for an embrace. Pausing a moment to notice a slight lipstick smudge on his cheek before adding her own to it. “You are looking good my boy” she exclaimed “This equatorial sun is doing you wonders!” Releasing Kirby she reached towards the woman beside him “and you have got to be Maria? Pulling her close for a quick embrace, “I’ve heard quite a bit about you”.

“Half truths and rumors I’m afraid”, Maria returned. “When it comes down to it I’m afraid I’m just a fighter pilot.”

“That sounds like something he’d say”, Nancy smiled, as she indicated Cleveland over her shoulder.

“Oh baby, that’s so untrue”, Cleveland replied, “I am so much more than a fighter pilot.” He flashed his trademark smile as he adjusted the fit of his sunglasses. “Let me introduce you to Victor Hugo.”

Victor held out his hand “Patel, actually” smiling. “I’d imagine you’ve had your hands full keeping these two out of trouble?”

Maria smiled warmly, “They’ve been no trouble, only the occasional bloodshed over the pool table when Cleveland takes out his frustrations on some simulator technicians.”

The flight from Singapore was fairly short, even so the conversation turned to food as the group made their way through the terminal building. Both Nancy and Victor were tired of 12,000 miles of airline cuisine. “Don’t eat too much”, Maria advised, “I’m hosting dinner tonight. And I need everyone to bring empty stomachs.”

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Domestic again I'm afraid. Things will liven up soon as construction of Syracuse begins.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I agree.
'Casual and humorous' is a fair description I think, of the relationship between Kirby and Cleveland (and Nancy), and that is both reflected in, and because of the style.
A very interesting developing story and I look forward to each new installment.

P.S. - Don't worry about the 'domestic' stuff. It adds to the whole and makes the 'exciting' parts more so.

:thumbup:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
TBH, I kinda like the domestic stuff. It provides some behind-the-scenes insight.

It's quite entertaining. :)