Malaysian airlines aircraft "shot down", SA-11 apparently

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

And why did you then post such a stupid comment above about him "only knowing footprints"? If you should know that it is not the case and he really based his conclusion on more than just the footprints at that time, but also on the known capabilities of classified military satellites. Which is a very hard job and requires a lot of research to find something you can build on.

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
And why did you then post such a stupid comment above about him "only knowing footprints"? If you should know that it is not the case and he really based his conclusion on more than just the footprints at that time, but also on the known capabilities of classified military satellites. Which is a very hard job and requires a lot of research to find something you can build on.

You said it: classified military satellites. He is not in the US military, and even if he were, then he would keep his mouth:rofl:

---------- Post added at 07:05 ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 ----------

This is the kind of details no ground amateur satellite tracker can guess::lol:

WFIRST

NASA is set to begin the construction of a flagship space observatory that will use a decommissioned top secret spy satellite telescope, with a field of view 100 times wider than that of the Hubble Space Telescope and capable of studying exotic dark matter, distant exoplanets and the formation of faraway solar systems.

The mission will use a National Reconnaissance Office telescope, which was gifted to NASA a few years ago, while resurfacing the mirror and adding instruments and electronics. NRO actually gave two telescopes to NASA, but for the moment the second one will be used as a backup for WFIRST.

WFIRST’s advantage is its immense field of view. It uses an old, unflown spy telescope that has the same mirror size as Hubble — 2.4 meters — but a field of view 100 times wider. This will allow it to cover more sky at greater depth in the infrared than any observatory before, Spergel said.

AFTA_Obs.jpg

http://wfirst.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/AFTA_Obs.jpg

http://wfirst.gsfc.nasa.gov/about.html

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Whoever did this, I'm really pissed at them. And I doubt it's what it looks like. I doubt this whole conflict is what it looks like.

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
Why are you not keeping your mouth shut? You have still not even read the English version as I can see, but still you happily attack somebody for his work.

This is not only incomprehensible and unwarranted, but could form an unexpected and unwanted legacy for all the other European Parliaments.
At this rate, we might soon see Norbert Brugge in a hearing before a committee of the German Parliament! :rofl:
15042.gif
rofl.gif

Plakat-Deutscher-Volkssturm.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This is not only incomprehensible and unwarranted, but could form an unexpected and unwanted legacy for all the other European Parliaments.
At this rate, we might soon see Norbert Brugge in a hearing before a committee of the German Parliament! :rofl:
15042.gif
rofl.gif

Plakat-Deutscher-Volkssturm.jpg

:baaaa:

Marco L

Reaction score
Website
sattrackcam.blogspot.com
All he knows is footprints...:rofl:

As I am being attacked in these latest posts by Soheil_Esy and my expertise is being questioned, I hope the moderators will allow me a reply.

Soheil_Esy: what is your actual point, because that is not clear to me. Nowhere do you provide any arguments to back up the position you take.

"All he knows is footprints" is the only thing you write. Well yes, and these footprints can be very informative. We know these footprints, because we know where these satellites were at that moment. That is my primary expertise: I am part of the tracking team that follows these satellites and catalogue their orbits and positions. And this expertise is to the point and useful for the case in question.

The reason I was invited to brief this Dutch Parliament committee (which really doesn't invite just anyone) during the hearing last Friday, was that the Parliament Members who invited me wanted to get informed about which military satellites and satellite systems might have obtained useful data on the MH17 tragedy. This information is useful to the criminal investigation into the case ordered by Dutch Government (remember, 198 Dutch lost their lives in the tragedy).

It serves as a pointer to the Government and the criminal investigators about what data might exist (note the "might": in my position paper written for Dutch Parliament I use the word "potential" a lot, and in my recent related blogposts I also explicitly point out that being inside a footprint does not necessarily mean the satellite has data, if you care to read them) and hence what to ask for from the relevant countries operating these satellite systems. The Dutch members of Parliament have the explicit task to keep an eye on whether this really happens, as controlling the actions of the Government (and asking questions if they perceive the Govermment fails in its actions) is a primary task of Dutch Parliament and indeed a primary task of any parliament in a Democracy.

So inviting someone who can provide them the necessary background information, is not silly, but a wise and pertinent move of Dutch Parliament.

You seem to think it is somehow silly that they invited me, but I do not see how it is. Parliament wanted this information, because it is useful to them. So they asked someone who could provide them. In this case, me. The information in question being: which classified satellites from what country could potentially have observed the shootdown, based on their positions and what we know of their roles and specifications (on which we know much more than you seem to think: there is a lot of information public domain on these systems. In my position paper I point to a number of them, released via FOIA requests).

So what is your point, exactly, Soheil_Esy? Can you give me any pertinent arguments as to why it is strange that Dutch Parliament, from the function they have, invites a knowledgeable person to inform them on matters that really matter in this case. Or conversely: can you coherently argue why it would not matter, or why the information I provided would not matter to the question at hand?

With Langbroek as an expert, it is getting too unfair. By reading his report about the Chelyabinsk Meteor Event back in February 2013, it is obvious that Holland wants to frame Russia.

This is an extreme non-sequitur. First, I do not see at all how what I told in my video on Chelyabinsk, a meteorite fall from 2013, frames Russia for MH17. Please, care to explain if you can.

Also, explain to me how the things I write in my position paper for Dutch Parliament are framing Russia? Where do I express that agenda you ascribe to me?

NOWHERE in my position paper for Dutch Parliament do I point fingers to any involved party. I merely point out what satellites were where and might have observed the tragedy. That is factual information and it frames nobody. Again, you do not seem to have read the paper (which is easily translated through Google Translate).

From what you write, I do note that you on the other hand do seem to have a clear partisan agenda concerning this case. It is clear from your insistence that it is all meant "to frame Russia", even though I nowhere in my paper and the related Parliament hearing pointed a finger at Russia, or any other involved party for that matter.

So please explain your standpoint to me, with coherent arguments.

By reading his report about the Chelyabinsk Meteor Event back in February 2013, it is obvious that Holland wants to frame Russia.

Edit: S☫heil_Esy already debunked this fallacy on another BBS (9ifly) back in 2013 with maps an not an orange, as witnessed by Galactic Penguin

Prithee, show me where my argument about the Chelyabinsk meteorite not being related to the fly-by of asteroid 2012 DA14 that same day, is wrong?

For again, you do not provide arguments, apart from vague references to a person who appears to have said it, somewhere, once.

Mind you, the whole professional asteroid dynamics community agrees that the Cheyabinsk bolide and 2012 DA14 were unrelated. So you'll have to come with strong arguments here.

So again: give me clearcut arguments as to why the things I point out in the video concerning the Chelyabinsk meteorite fall and 2012 DA14, are incorrect? I am looking forward to hearing your reasoning.

- Marco Langbroek

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
O-F Staff Note: The thread has been cleaned up and reopened. Please feel free to continue the discussion in an adult and civil manner. I've not moved this post to the basement because I think it's important enough of a topic to not be locked away down there.

Please report any posts that breach the rules, the report post button is located in a red triangle with an exclamation mark on it.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37495067

International prosecutors investigating the downing of flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine in 2014 say the missile that hit the plane was fired from territory controlled by Russian-backed rebels.
They said the missile launcher was brought into Ukraine from Russia.
All 298 people on board the Boeing 777 died when it broke apart in midair flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now the important question is: Who cares?

Should we nuke Russia? Arrest Putin should he EVER travel to Europe? Tell Russia how disappointed we are about its behavior?

That's post-politics now. Not even politics. Its just important for whose version of the history book you will read. A Russian history book will describe 20 different contradicting ways how Ukraine could have done it with US help, a European history book maybe mention that there was an investigation but does not dare to mention who was blamed in the end. The crew was responsible for taking off in a not missile-safe aircraft.

So what?

It does not make the dead alive again. Maybe, in the best case, some will learn that there is no such thing like a limited war. The best way to limit a war is to not have a war in first place.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe, in the best case, some will learn that there is no such thing like a limited war. The best way to limit a war is to not have a war in first place.

You don't actually have to be at war to get collateral damage. Most people have forgotten everything about [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655"]Iran Air Flight 655[/ame] and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007"]Korean Air Lines Flight 007[/ame].

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now the important question is: Who cares?

That's pretty insensitive. Obviously, the families of those killed care a great deal. So does anyone who is concerned with finding the facts of what is certainly a part of history.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's pretty insensitive. Obviously, the families of those killed care a great deal. So does anyone who is concerned with finding the facts of what is certainly a part of history.

What does it change now? Russia will still create contradictory lies about the event like they did in the past years. Only a few days ago, they published another one, to claim that Ukraine must have done it and lied around that Ukraine did not give Radar data to the investigation - which Ukraine did contrary to Russia, which still keeps the radar data for itself, that it claims to have as evidence. Who should be the judge now? A UN tribunal was vetoed by Russia.

Nobody will be put to responsibility for this crime. And that it was a crime is already known. Nobody will pay compensation, except maybe the airline for selecting a risky trajectory. We will never find out who gave the orders.We will never find out, who gave the Buk to the rebels or whatever is fighting there.

Really - it is just futile. Keeping wounds open, so to say.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What does it change now? Russia will still create contradictory lies about the event like they did in the past years. Only a few days ago, they published another one, to claim that Ukraine must have done it and lied around that Ukraine did not give Radar data to the investigation - which Ukraine did contrary to Russia, which still keeps the radar data for itself, that it claims to have as evidence. Who should be the judge now? A UN tribunal was vetoed by Russia.

Nobody will be put to responsibility for this crime. And that it was a crime is already known. Nobody will pay compensation, except maybe the airline for selecting a risky trajectory. We will never find out who gave the orders.We will never find out, who gave the Buk to the rebels or whatever is fighting there.

Really - it is just futile. Keeping wounds open, so to say.

It's not about taking action; it's about knowing the truth of the matter. That's important whether you can do something about it or not. And even if you can't force the Russian government to own up to it, you can still call them out publicly on it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's not about taking action; it's about knowing the truth of the matter. That's important whether you can do something about it or not. And even if you can't force the Russian government to own up to it, you can still call them out publicly on it.

It is one "truth". It is not the truth. The result is way closer to the truth than any Russian lie could every get, but it only represents the reality as the investigation was able to see it. It still has lots of unknowns in it.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Those are not big news indeed. Russia is still one of the major weapons suppliers of the "East", and they still are very good in Ground-to-Air missiles.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Strange - but this does not make the theory of an Ukrainian Su-25 shooting down an airliner far higher and far faster than it could fly more realistic at all. Other than the Russian Su-25, a few of the Ukrainian Su-25 only received an avionics upgrade, no engine upgrade. And even assuming a R-73E missile being used (unlikely on a Su-25, but as it seems, possible), this height difference would be outside the envelope.

(And the warhead would still be too small for the found damage, but that's another topic)

But the fun stuff is: There is a Russian incident from 2008, where a Su-25 pilot accidentally shot down his wingman with a missile, the Su-25 had been grounded during the investigation. (But at a distance of a few hundred meters).

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Strange - but this does not make the theory of an Ukrainian Su-25 shooting down an airliner far higher and far faster than it could fly more realistic at all.

/me looks up specifications for the Su-25.

:blink:

I have never before heard of a jet with a service ceiling under 30,000 feet.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
/me looks up specifications for the Su-25.

:blink:

I have never before heard of a jet with a service ceiling under 30,000 feet.

Its a ground attack aircraft. Above 5000 meters, the pilot should develop vertigo. But actually, the cockpit is not pressurized. :lol: