Project Mars Design Reference Mission 1

markp

Reaction score
delta_glider, ok I will release the cargo lander next. First though I will fix the launcher mass issue.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Ah good point haven't checked with D3D9 yet!

Delta glider

Spaceanaut
Reaction score
I have found the cargo lander to be working ish in the current version though, but you are right, the auto pilot makes it run out of fuel and it smashes to the ground.:)
The cargo was a bit destroyed. Another cool feature would be to have a maximum dynamic pressure and vertical speed at ground impact (100 kpa and 20m/sec maybe). But fixing the auto pilot and launcher is a first priority. :hailprobe:

markp

Reaction score
Updating the documentation at the moment to describe the new features etc

markp

Reaction score
That's actually a good question because it's not documented! Pressing 4 on the main keyboard, before the parachutes are deployed, should do it. It only adds winds on the parachutes below an altitude of 9000 m if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

markp

Reaction score
winds are added to the sounding rocket by switching focus to the rocket then pressing 1 which brings up some info and then pressing 2 to add winds.

The winds on the balloons should change with time, location and altitude. Daily variations are not modelled though. It's more like a daily average I think so it changes slowly.

markp

Reaction score
Have been a bit slow with preparing the documentation but it's getting there.

While preparing a tutorial I noticed the deorbit autopilot needs updating as I couldn't reach the target after deorbiting. I think I know what the problem is so will fix it soon.

Here is a picture of the lander turning as it tries to unsuccessfully reach the target ... although a soft landing on the surface was still possible of course!

turning.jpg

markp

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is the latest version of the lander and launcher modules. Deorbit autopilot for the aeroasisted entry with the aeroshell should be working on the habitat lander. I haven't updated the cargo lander yet. Also included a new version of the launcher. The altitude of the orbit can be set before launch by using the keys shift-q and shift-a.

View attachment DRMtest_190515.zip

There are a couple of test scenarios for the landers if you want to try those. One is set up to use my rather basic but reasonably accurate descent autopilot for landing on Callisto or other airless worlds. It works by first reducing the horizontal component of the velocity and then the vertical component. Instructions are in the the scenario on how to use it.

Also another scenario is included for landing the cargo lander, without an aeroshell, at Mars using PursuitMFD. It works fine until just before touchdown when it tips the lander over. I just switch it off during the final descent and do the final touchdown manually. It's a very neat MFD and is more fuel efficient than my one.

Note: The hover engines have quite high thrust capability at the moment.

markp

Reaction score
I have improved the deorbit guidance and autopilot. Also updated the force on the parachutes due to Martian winds. I think I will be able to add them onto the aeroshell at a future date too.

I hope to continue with the documentation soon.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Having fun with your landers! :cheers:

picture.php

markp

Reaction score
I may skip the tutorial writing for the lander as I have now programmed the autopilot to fly the lander from orbit to within a few metres of the target completely on its own. :)