boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Having fun with your landers! :cheers:

picture.php

Hopefully, those parachutes won't be torn to shreds... :facepalm:

markp

Reaction score
ok both habitat and cargo lander can be landed fully automatically with good precision and efficient use of propellant on Mars.

Some moderate effort was required modifying the deorbit autopilot. Coding errors and inadequate algorithms flummoxed me for a while. In the end I only had to change a few characters of code and add a couple of lines to get navigation data.

The documentation is almost done. Need to go through it and check a few things.

markp

Reaction score
I have uploaded an updated version for testing on Orbit Hanger Mods. It doesn't show up on the front page of OH as it is an update. Here the link:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6680"]DRM1 v1.5 test flights 2[/ame]

Thanks Iron Rain. I need someone to run through the scenarios and confirm they are working. Also there is a folder of scenarios with that switches on the autopilot and then lands the spacecraft fully automatically from orbit. Could you or someone check those are working?

I have included a couple of scenarios of two other types of Entry Descent and Landing Systems. One is fully propulsive lander that used over 150 tons of propellant! The other is a lander that sits on the heat shield Mars Direct style then uses supersonic retropropulsion from about Mach 1.5 together with a smallish parachute for stabilisation. These can be landed with minimal intervention from a human pilot. Some instructions are included in the scenarios.

markp

Reaction score
Quick update:

I've realised recently the ballistic coefficient of the biconic aeroshell I am using is bit high to reach safe low Mach numbers for the supersonic transition, i.e. Mach 2 instead of the currently Mach 5. So I plan to increase the area defined in the code and also lengthen the aeroshell mesh a little.

I've also been playing around with the DRA5 baseline landing architecture which involves an aeroshell for entry and then supersonic retropropulsion from Mach 2. In this case, using the DRM1 elements, the lander jumps out the back of the aeroshell after the base plate is jettisoned. There is no flip over of the aeroshell in mid-air. The lander comes out with its top first. A small parachute is used to stabilize the lander.

Also have been using a large trailing ballute all the way from hypersonic entry to subsonic speeds when the lander is released from the aeroshell. Seems to be a very simple EDLS.

I am also considering updating the project to DRA5 also using the current meshes and landers for DRM 1.

Other than that have been finding and fixing bugs.

Aeroshell released. Parachute for stabilization.
SR.jpg

Large trailing ballute.
ballute.jpg

Experiment from a while back. Entry attempt on Mars with the capsule landed within 6 km of the target.
CapsuleMars.jpg

If you haven't seen it yet there is an updated version of the DRM 1 addon here (not with the ballute or DRA5 basline EDLS yet). It is the same link and version as posted in the previous post:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6680"]DRM1 v1.5 test flights 2[/ame]

Last edited:

edition23

Reaction score
:idk:In v1.5 I'm getting a CTD after landing the hab as soon as the aroshell touches down. If I delete it in the scenario editor before it lands I doesn't CTD. Also I often get a CTD right when the back plate is supposed to jettison at 6km.

markp

Reaction score
Hi, I had a look at the latest development version and it seems I fixed the ctds a while ago but didn't upload it. The habitat lander seems to be working ok but the code for the cargo lander descent routine needs a bit of attention as that's not working properly...I can perhaps upload the habitat lander tomorrow on OH.

Last edited:

richfororbit

Reaction score
So this is a working Mars mission scenario then. None of the files I have tried in the past have worked properly.

I recently was able to land several hundred kilometers away from Gale Crater using the Delta craft and drove the rest of the way, I had landed in the night:blink:, which isn't solid. May be there is an area that is, but never mind, better to fly over really.

But for there, or Pathfinder or Olympus Mon, so that must be solid some old crater volcano.

But that aside, I prefer an actual setup for landing on the planet, than the Delta glider.

markp

Reaction score
It could be the author deactivated his account and so the addons are not available on OH. I couldn't get the links to work either.

I have the addons so I'll try and figure out a way to post them here.

Last edited:

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Im sort of confused on what should I download as far as patches are concerned.

markp

Reaction score
I've been updating the addon over the last few months and trying it out in Orbiter 2016.

The landers had to be recompiled against the new Orbiter SDK. I am trying out the other components of the addon in Orbiter 2016 as well. I had a quick test drive of the rover today and it seems to work straight out of the box.

rover.png

markp

Reaction score
... and some launcher fun

Big_launch.jpg

Rocket.jpg

Launch.png

Lift_off.jpg

MAV.jpg

I recompiled the launcher today and that's now working in Orbiter 2016.

I have had problems with launching the MAV for while. It only spawns and docks to the lander, which acts as its launch pad, on terrain that is above "sea level" on Mars.

I think as a temporary solution I will switch the base to some higher ground. Here I am launching the MAV from the Tharsis bulge near the big volcanoes.

I haven't tested UMMU and UCGO. That will be next I think.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Those are NO-GO with Orbiter 2016. Same with OrbiterSound.

markp

Reaction score
I had a play around with UMMU and UCGO. There is some functionality there but obviously needs updating for Orbiter 2016.

As that didn't work I decided to add some atmospheric entry effects to the landers. It was quick to do.

Thermal_visuals1.png

Thermal_visuals2.jpg

Thermal_visuals3.png

Thermal_visuals6.jpg

markp

Reaction score

I recompiled the launcher today and that's now working in Orbiter 2016.

I have had problems with launching the MAV for while. It only spawns and docks to the lander, which acts as its launch pad, on terrain that is above "sea level" on Mars.

I think as a temporary solution I will switch the base to some higher ground. Here I am launching the MAV from the Tharsis bulge near the big volcanoes.

After a short break (>1 year ...) I have managed to get the MAV launch working in Orbiter 2016. :)

MAV_launch.png

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have been working on rovers (LER,....) if you need help let me know.