Project Mars Design Reference Mission 1

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought UCGO kinda worked. Except no one to open the packages.

I will rework the ler and SEv using thrusters and see how it moves in 2016.

markp

Reaction score
I thought UCGO kinda worked. Except no one to open the packages.

Yes I think that is the case. Opening the cargo is kind of crucial :) or can they be opened otherwise? Anyway this will be a back up so I can continue to develop the addon. It is pretty simple and I'll will implement the new more sophisticated UCGO when it is ready (assuming it is being worked on ...).

I will rework the ler and SEv using thrusters and see how it moves in 2016.

Great they are very nice rovers.

markp

Reaction score
A little bit of progress.

I think I've figured out how to use attachments properly now after taking a look at the Shuttle A code. This will hopefully improve the addon. I have been using a different approach using docking ports, which made sense when I first developed the addon but maybe doesn't make sense now ...

I can now attach the MAV and rover onto the cargo lander during the simulation or from a scenario file. I can also release them during the simulation, i.e. for launching the MAV and deploying the rover.

Attach_test.jpg

markp

Reaction score
Now I have two cargo boxes on the cargo lander! Took a bit of time because I was updating the telerover. One feature I am quite happy with is that it can now automatically move its camera/head to face a target selected by the operator.

I have also added beacons to the cargo lander to indicate when cargo boxes are within pick-up range of the lander. They turn off when the cargo has been attached to the lander by pressing a key on the lander. I might add a timer that automatically picks up the cargo after a preset time so the operator doesn't have to worry about switching focus.

TwoBoxes.jpg

CargoBeacons.jpg

markp

Reaction score
Cargo management capability has been restored for the addon. I have included a sort of all purpose cargo box that can deploy a simple mesh-based vessel on the surface. The mesh and its mass can be named in the scenario file. This is useful for deploying things that don't move like habitats and the fission reactor.

The cargo can be attached via the scenario file. Alternatively, as shown in the first three pictures, the cargo can be packed up and loaded during the simulation. The cargo lander simply fetches all the cargo boxes within its vicinity. At the moment it is done by pressing a key once which then instructs the lander to fetch everything within a certain range of the lander.

Cargo_to_go.jpg

Cargo_packed.jpg

Cargo_loaded.jpg

Everything_loaded.jpg

markp

Reaction score
Everything is now attached to the cargo lander including the aeroshell!

Now is should be a matter of interfacing with the different vessels when necessary, i.e for animations of the aeroshell parachute or detaching things.

I also need to make sure the mass of the cargo lander is adjusted properly as things are jettisoned. Also I need to make sure the current scenario is saved correctly.

Everything_attached.jpg

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Usually saving is not the problem. The hard part is loading ;) when you need to create the vessel in the desired state.
My Gemini has stagnated because of this. It's tedious to test all the possible combinations.
Good luck!

markp

Reaction score
A quick progress update.

There were a few head scratching moments but now the aeroshell flies with its lander payload nicely and everything seems to work fine at the moment. Everything is flown manually at the moment.

My next step, after finishing off the cargo management, is to check the autopilot. I will probably migrate some of the autopilot code from the lander to the aeroshell for the entry phase as that will make things easier for controlling the aerohell and probably makes more sense.

positive_seperation.jpg