Meteoroid explosion in Russia

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I heard about this on my way to work this morning and couldn't wait to get home and turn on my computer. I knew there'd be a big fat thread on OF waiting for me, and you guys did not disappoint!

The scary thing about this is that, as Urwumpe pointed out, this thing had apparently swung through perihelion and was coming from the direction of the sun, making it very hard to spot.

This makes you have to stop for a moment and be grateful for the time we have, given that it can all end with an actual bolt from the blue, even though we are now actively looking for such threats and may have some defensive capability within a few years. All it takes is one lucky shot by something not a whole lot bigger in linear dimensions.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
It would have to explode closer to ground to seriously damage the reactor building and cooling systems. In this case shockwave was only strong enough to break windows and collapse part of a roof of old factory building. I think even Soviet era nuclear plants are built to higher standard than old factory buildings.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think even Soviet era nuclear plants are built to higher standard than old factory buildings.

Chernobyl was not. While the actual reactor really had a strong shielding with multiple layers, the actual building was a very weak factory hall above the reactor, with no protection at all. and many important components had not been protected from damage from outside, but only from possible steam explosions inside the inner reactor casing, which had been expected to mostly leave the reactor building through the weakest spot: The roof.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The Science Channel is having a special on the event ONE day after it occurred. I hope no one is expecting more accuracy than drama.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
One astronomer guy gave his estimations in a blog (http://al-pas.livejournal.com/143916.html), based on eyewitnesses' impressions, video recorder footage and other known data.

Source data:
- Light luminosity of the flash was around 300,000 lx at 15 km away from the source
- Some people got tanning on their faces, which is an evidence that 50% of the radiation was UV
- Length of the flash was around 3 s

Based on above, flash energy could be 7.4E12 J

After analysis of the camcorder track http://youtu.be/gQ6Pa5Pv_io, he also suggested that:
- pause between flash and sound is 140 s
- flash evevation above horizon is 30 deg
- assumed shockwave velocity in given conditions could be 300 m/s

=> Explosion happened at 21 km altitude

- Object distance was 42 km
- Angular movement was 20 deg/s

=> speed was 14.7 km/s

- Light luminosity at this ditance no more than 100,000 lx
- Longevity of the flash is 2 s
- 50% was UV light

=> Flash energy is 2,6E13 J

=> at 14.7 km/s it could be a body with mass of 240 tonnes.

Size estimations:
Iron ball would be 4 m across
Stone ball - 6 m
Ice ball - 8 m

The explosion's TNT equivalent is 6 kt

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well - regarding my experience with really existing nuclear power plants in the past decades, I would say, they are not right, but also not wrong.

A good well-tended, properly operated nuclear power plant would have no problems. But such nuclear power plants only exist in dreams. Even the best nuclear power plants are compromises between safety and economy. Some critical components are always placed at the wrong point.

if the explosion would have happened low above even a good power plant, it could result in problems maintaining a safe shutdown. Not automatically a Chernobyl. But close enough to worry.

To call it 'luck' that the meteor didn't explode over a nuclear reactor with all the square kilometres available on Earth, I would instead call it 'extremely unlucky' if it actually had exploded over a reactor. ;)

Ark

Reaction score
Thank you, Russian dash cams, for giving us this incredible moment.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
A slight aside - why does it seem that everyone in Russia has a dashboard camera? Just curious.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm really curious to see where this thing came from...
That said, I wonder if the planned asteroid spotting space telescope being designed by the B612 Foundation would have spotted this if the perihelion is as low as we think it may be. Also, how many more of these are there lurking in similar orbits?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
A slight aside - why does it seem that everyone in Russia has a dashboard camera? Just curious.

From what Artlav has said previously, because the police and courts are shady enough that it's wise to have direct video evidence of what happened in a collision.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
In a hypothetical situation of paranoia:
Would a satellite placed somewhere around Sun-Earth L4/L5 or just like 90 degrees ahead/behind of Earth's orbit significantly help detection of these meteoroids coming 'from the sun'?

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116#TWEET604478

BBC News said:
One Russian politician said the event was not a meteor shower but a US weapons test, Russia's Interfax news agency reported.
Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the leader of the ultra-nationalist Liberal Democratic Party, was quoted as saying: "Meteors are falling. Those are not meteors, it is Americans testing their new weapon."

Just hearing about it now, but . . .

:huh:

Last edited:

Unstung

Reaction score
Some facts presented neatly:
russia-huge-meteorite-bolide-130215c-02.jpg

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
btw, I want to ask, why is it that these kinds of events happen mostly in Russia?

How do you know they do? Only a small fraction of the Earth's surface is populated. We've no idea how many meteorites have come in over the oceans or polar ice caps, where nobody's ever seen them. On top of that, such events are also rare enough that saying "happen mostly in Russia" will clash with statistical certainty...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Just hearing about it now, but . . .
Don't mind the clown.

btw, I want to ask, why is it that these kinds of events happen mostly in Russia?
First, we are the largest country on the planet, so statistics are on out side.

Second, that's not quite true - there was the Carancas impact, the Whitehorse airburst, the 1972 Great Daylight Fireball in USA, the Reisadalen meteor in Norway, and some airburst over south america in just the recent decades.

Broken trust.
Police corruption, tendency of rich/connected people to escape responsibility, tendency of witnesses to side with the hooded idiot who ran across the road, and so on.
This creates a gap of mistrust.
While the law is generally quite capable of delivering a lawful verdict, it can only do so in the face of solid evidence - it would take a high level political interference, instead of a petty bribe, to make you guilty if there are videos saying otherwise.