Project Mir station complex / UR-500 family

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It happened I got a paid job as a philosophy teacher and the first half of the school year has been crazy, I had to move to a new place... I went through months where I hadn't one minute of free time. Things are slowly getting better, now I have time to watch the forums again. Hopefully I'll soon be able to resume on that. The thing is that I have more than 120 students and everytime I ask them an essay... it ends with 120*8 handwritten pages to correct... Which is a "good problem", most are going to be ready for the exam... But an insane lot of work for me ! Had weeks when I had only time to sleep 2 hours / night...

thermocalc

Reaction score
Hi to everyone one.
my compliments to all developers involved here, really nice and amazing jobs you have done so far...
I was just wondering if a simple "user" as myself can try these addons or are still for "adults" so to speak (only programmers), so if I am in the wrong place to ask this question my apologizes...

so I just made a new Orbiter 2016 installation with D3D9 (file -> D3D9ClientR4.25-forOrbiter2016(r1446).zip) --- don't know if it is the latest for 2016 --- and i downloaded from the link found in this treat , at page 30 on 25 Dec 2021, the file -> GeneralVehicle-VesselBuilder Mir_Soyuz.zip
I unzipped this file into my Orbiter 2016+D3D9 folder, I saw the two sceneries folders for MIR and SOZUZ and no matter which I lunch I got orbiter crashing ... definitely I guess i need to load some more "files" before using this addons (?) .... as it is not clear to me reading from page 1 to 31 of this treat which files needs to be loaded before, may I ask for some guidance? are there some different addons to be installed BEFORE the zip file available at the link provided back on 25.12.2021?
thanks in advance.

unrelated question for MaxBuzz (or others if they know)-> I saw in one of "your" previous posts that you are involved in some "hardcore" project to simulate the working process of the Soyuz cockpit .... (so I understood at least); IF IT IS INDEED SO and IF I MAY ASK, which project is it? is there some link to this "Soyuz cockpit simulator" project? is it free? payware? or still a work in progress so to speak?

in a nutshell, I am interested to know more about Soyuz cockpit functionalities but as I can't speak/read Russian so far all my affords have been useless and i was not able to find any project similar to NASSP, SSU, Re-ENTRY, SSM2007, FlightGear space shuttle, in "spirit" reproducing the SOYUZ spacecraft...just to name some (free and paywere) ....so if there is one project "out there" in spirit, that I would be very glad to know ... thanks for reading me and if my questions are inappropriate just ignore and sincere apologies.

thanks.

CurlSnout

Reaction score
In addition to the file you have already downloaded and installed, I think you need to install as well the in-sim 'Vessel Builder for Orbiter' project that is available on the first page (link at bottom of first post) here:

file name = VesselBuilder1_PreRelease.zip

Peace,

cs

thermocalc

Reaction score
Thank you....I download the file you mentioned and now all sceneries seems to work.
now I have some issues to understand the instructions in the doc file (see photo)...
how to operate the Soyuz ? just using normal orbiter autopilots functions or are there some "action keys" to press? (I guess the one in the doc?)
thanks for further advices.instructions.JPG

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
in a nutshell, I am interested to know more about Soyuz cockpit functionalities but as I can't speak/read Russian

Don't see it as a no-go. If you're interested in Soviet-era space stuff, you'll have to deal with russian a little bit. The first step is to figure out (or mostly) the cyrillic alphabet. Do it and it will help you a great deal. Russian has of course a lot of "unique" words but a lot of the technical vocabulary (past-19th century stuff) has common roots with English, German or even French... телефон simply means "telephon", and the word is almost the same in English, German, French (telephone, telefon, téléphone)... but you have to understand the the "lambda" (third letter) means "L" and that the "funny circle with a bar" (5th letter) means "ph" or "f". And once you'll have figured out the phonetics, you'll be able to use Google Translate, which is not perfect but usually "does the job"...

Russian is very intimidating because of the alphabet (and Russia's overall reputation ? ) but unless you really dig into the grammar (which is really complex, that's true), you'll be fine.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
in a nutshell, I am interested to know more about Soyuz cockpit functionalities but as I can't speak/read Russian so far all my affords have been useless and i was not able to find any project similar to NASSP, SSU, Re-ENTRY, SSM2007, FlightGear space shuttle, in "spirit" reproducing the SOYUZ spacecraft...just to name some (free and paywere) ....so if there is one project "out there" in spirit, that I would be very glad to know ... thanks for reading me and if my questions are inappropriate just ignore and sincere apologies.

If its only about the language barrier, take a look at this:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Google tranlate:
Nol6H7P.jpg

thermocalc

Reaction score
thanks to ALL, highly appreciated every words/help/suggestions....files in the proposed links already downloaded, i will start to get acquainted with Russian Cyrillic alphabet and space terminology ... about using this addon in case of troubles I may come back here for help. Now i will keep a steady eye on this treat to follow up all your works...thanks....always nice to meet friendly people around :cheers:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK I'm getting back into it...

So what I really need to do now is the Proton third stage, I already have the 4th (Blok-D) ready from a previous project. Well actually it is the "stretched" version with extra capacity ; "unstretching" it for the Proton-K should be fairly easy.

Capture d’écran (60).png

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@MaxBuzz would you by chance have pictures of the back end (butt) of the Proton third stage like during assembly ? Have a hard time finding that on Google.

That one has a stupid cover on it :

3fig1-2a.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@MaxBuzz would you by chance have pictures of the back end (butt) of the Proton third stage like during assembly ? Have a hard time finding that on Google.

That one has a stupid cover on it :

That looks like a flight cover, it is yellowish, not red. While the color codes differ slightly in Russia, red means remove before flight there as well. In Europe, you would also have purple for "remove before assembly", in Russia red also means that.

So, you very likely REALLY see the rocket engine like it appears in flight.