OHM MIZAR IIC launch vehicle - ALCOR shuttle

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: cizurator

The year 2013:

ESA's first manned spacecraft - Alcor shuttle - is ready at Kourou launch center to be launched on a brand new launch vehicle - MIZAR II C. More info in readme files.

[email protected]

DOWNLOAD

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Like this add-on very much; especially as sort of rescue vehicle for ISS.
Only critisism, I think the way the cockpit windows stand out from the body looks a little funky; could have been more aerodynamicaly made.
Any way of making this UMMU compatible ??? :thumbup:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Like this add-on very much; especially as sort of rescue vehicle for ISS.
Only critisism, I think the way the cockpit windows stand out from the body looks a little funky; could have been more aerodynamicaly made.
Any way of making this UMMU compatible ??? :thumbup:

Thanks.
But the UMMU compatibility requires some .dll doesn't it? That would be beyond my skills...

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Space boat?

1)It's a lifting body! look at this...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/NASA_M2-F3_diagram.png

Trainguy

Trumpeter
Reaction score
See my above comment

UMMUFA can be used with anything with a docking port - I think.

No DLLs required! :)

:hail::probe:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
See my above comment

UMMUFA can be used with anything with a docking port - I think.

No DLLs required! :)

:hail::probe:

Well, I tried to do an experiment with installing UMMU and than UMMUFA... but the astronauts can be defined only inside all vessels with docking port, as you say. And The Mizar IIC has no docking port, only it's payload. So I can't define the astronauts on the start of the scenario...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It wouldn't be hard to just stick a useless docking port in the middle of the vessel, if you really want UMMU.

Joc

Reaction score
:lol: Lol what is this, a boot for rich people? :rofl:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It wouldn't be hard to just stick a useless docking port in the middle of the vessel, if you really want UMMU.

The astronauts should be in the shuttle, but the shuttle is activated in the orbit, so I can't add those boys to the launch scenario... Only if I created an "already orbital" scenario with shuttle ready to carry the astronauts.... but anyway, they should move from the OM to the RM before descent. It means they must be separated first.... I think it would be probably quite complicated to support the UMMUFA here...

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

So do a better one first...:cool: i was looking for any of your addons on OrbitHangar. All i found was an Earth's atmosphere, which even wasn't your work.:zzz:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Is this based on a real concept? I googled for alcor and all I found was an American corpse freezing company. :lol:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's named after [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Ursae_Majoris"]the constellation[/ame], as spacecraft tend to be.
Incidentally, the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_spaceplane"]Spiral [/ame]was also nicknamed for footwear.

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is this based on a real concept? I googled for alcor and all I found was an American corpse freezing company. :lol:

No, it is my own idea, although I was inspired by the Norhrop M2F3 lifting body. I added a service module and fairing and tried to do the launcher as reusable as possible - and here's the output of my 14-days work...:coffee:

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

I'm guessing it's named after the constellation, as spacecraft tend to be.

Yes, when I was thinking about the name, i was looking at the famous star names list on wikipedia... and i found this nice well-known couple of stars. And I told to myself.... Mizar... the launch vehicle MIZAR.... it sounds like
"very big and very strong":lol:... and his little friend Alcor perfectly fits for a name for a new shuttle. I was surprised, when I saw, that nobody has used those names before I did.

Accidentaly, these stars are the only bright stars I can see in my roof-window when I'm laying in my bed. Only in short period of summer, of course. Right now. It must be a sign from heavens...:hail::probe:

---------- Post added at 23:31 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Accidentaly, these stars are the only bright stars I can see in my roof-window when I'm laying in my bed. Only in short period of summer, of course. Right now. It must be a sign from heavens...:hail::probe:

OMG i have just looked out of the window (i have 00:30 AM here) to test it again.... holy sh.... they're still right there!:uhh:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Very nice! It's handling is a little counter-intuitive on re-entry, but I got her down at Wideawake International (I kept wanting to raise the nose, but I read the 'read-me' and kept telling myself to fix my profile).

Nice launch facility too, very smooth looking.

The only thing I can think of negatively is that the underbelly tile look too shiny. I thought that they may look more realistic as a matte black instead of glossy.

Oh, wife didn't like the new engine sounds (at near full volume), I got a mean look at I was climbing to orbit.

Last edited:

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very nice! It's handling is a little counter-intuitive on re-entry, but I got her down at Wideawake International (I kept wanting to raise the nose, but I read the 'read-me' and kept telling myself to fix my profile).

Nice launch facility too, very smooth looking.

The only thing I can think of negatively is that the underbelly tile look too shiny. I thought that they may look more realistic as a matte black instead of glossy.

Oh, wife didn't like the new engine sounds (at near full volume), I got a mean look at I was climbing to orbit.

About that shiny heat shield - there's one problem. It's simple - the shield is one graphic unit with the upper part of the shuttle. They can't have different graphic specifications. I know it is a little strange, but I can't do anything about that. It would mean, that i would had to completely re-model the shuttle. And the shuttle itself took me several days to create...

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 ----------

It's handling is a little counter-intuitive on re-entry, but I got her down at Wideawake International (I kept wanting to raise the nose, but I read the 'read-me' and kept telling myself to fix my profile).

The aerodynamics are taken from the DeltaGlider
(after several unsuccesful tries to create my own with nose up - it was too unstable by Y-axis at high speed below the 50km alt.)

Cizurator

Whooooosh!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm already working on Alcor II shuttle concept. It will even have cargo bay, better lander, one more service module and the same launch vehicle.

Trainguy

Trumpeter
Reaction score
Could you possibly define the shuttle as separate from, but atached to, the booster at launch, then UMMUFA could read it and generate the crew from the start.

If the orbital module acts as an ISS conection port, does that mean the dock is already there?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, or is actually impossible, given what you've already done! Would it mean a DLL? :)

:hail::probe:!