Question Modification to addons for personal use - Without authors consent (Starliner)

OrbiterSpore

Clean Furry, of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
It's been some time since i downloaded the [ame=http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3075]STARLINER spacecraft by SPASE_1976[/ame], but i've noticed something. Using mesh debugger, meshgroups 13 and 14 appeared to be gears, but there's no animation to lower/retract the gear.

I don't have any skills (meshing, coding, spacecraft.dll, etc.) at Orbiter besides using it, but i'd like to ask, are we allowed to modify addons from other users for own use (not releasing)?

Last edited by a moderator:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
are we allowed to modify addons from other users for own use (not releasing)?

Yes.

I've done this myself many times. I've taken the satellite dishes from one of the Earth scenarios (1968 Earth I think) and added them to all my bases as it feels wrong to not have big satellite dishes on a space base!

You can also upload a zip file with just the modifications and list the addon as a pre-req or just post the config file changes in the addon thread unless the author has specifically commented that no modifications to their work can be disseminated.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
are we allowed to modify addons from other users for own use (not releasing)?

:lol: The risk that the addon developper learns it and plans a punitive expedition is very low, I think ;)

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
I think there is a tone of add-on not published mainly people don't want to violate Copyright.
Get a free model and edit for self.

1p9q4l.jpg

A SC3 version,in progress.
Adding animation,VC,dock...

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You also have to consider that there may be an addon whose license doesn't allow modifications even for personal use. While N_Molson is correct that addon developers will not necessarily know you have violated their license unless you say or post something in a public forum, I have used software that had explicit no-decompile/reverse-engineer/modify clauses in their license (and have of course abided by such clauses).

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I guess that the correct english word is enforceability of the specified conditions.
Unless you show it, what happens in your Orbiter, stays in your Orbiter...

Nevertheless if you modify an add-on, you should only distribute the parts you changed, and not all the files (example: repaints).
Always specify what's changed, give credit and link to the original add-on.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have used software that had explicit no-decompile/reverse-engineer/modify clauses in their license (and have of course abided by such clauses).

How does "no reverse-engineering" work? You take an idea, turn it into a program and nobody else can ever do that again? Even if you copy a bit of code word-by-word, there's no way of proving it was copied.

Seems more like a scare tactic to me...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Seems more like a scare tactic to me...

IMHO it is just this. I've seen cases where the alleged "reverse-engineering" was opening up a TCP session, getting a prompt, and entering "help", just to get available commands in return. Or simply reading a text-based config file.

When it comes to stupidity, copyright laws/drafts/clauses are often a treasure trove.