moon landing skepticism (ASMO)

mrspacely

Reaction score
Ive always payed attention to conspiracy theories, but there is one that really catches my eyes and that is the "alteration of, or a fake moon landing(s)". There is an increasing number of people who think NASA (as well as the US government) tricked the world into thinking they had won the space-race with the Soviet Union.

Well I use orbiter a lot. Im not very smart (like you developers!), Im probably not even qualified to clean the launchpad after a shuttle launch, yet Im still able to figure out the basics of Orbiter and get myself on the moons surface with a futuristic ship. If I can do it, Im sure a highly disciplined and trained astronaut can achieve it in reality. Orbiter isn't reality, but its the next best thing short of a NASA simulator. Just take the ASMO addon for example! I want to know how ASMO users feel about this conspiracy claim, and if they think it is that hard to get to the moon with the apollo system.

At any rate, there is one thing for sure, the laser reflector did not set itself up on its own. :lol:

bujin

Reaction score
The Moon Landing Hoax Theory is one thing that REALLY makes my blood boil! It's probably one of mankind's greatest achievements and people want to rubbish it.

Unfortunately, the level of critical thinking across the world appears to be in serious decline, with creationism desperately trying to creep into the science curriculum in America (but also in Britain too, to a certain extent), with so many people believing in astrology, crystal healing, psychics, homeopathy, and so on. People are becoming more and more gullible.

It only takes a moment's rational thought to completely dispel the moon landing hoax.

Unfortunately, the media insist on showing TV "documentaries" about stuff like conspiracy theories and pseudoscience because they get higher ratings than genuine science documentaries.

You can argue with hoax theorists until you're blue in the face, and they don't listen to reason. Buzz had the right idea...

;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
with all the insults that guy threw at his head, it seems only fair... :dry:

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I love that video :lol:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, as far as I am concerned, I do not negotiate with Moon Hoaxers. They must know without any shadow of doubt that I will not deal with them under any circumstances. My policy is of complete non-tolerance towards Moon Hoaxers. I will give them no quarter. I will fight them on the beaches, I shall fight them on the landing grounds, I shall fight them at the Langrage points, until all they have left is moondust in their lungs.

Last edited:

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Most people I have met were believing this out of ignorance and lack of real interest in the subject. They heard that once (mostly from TV) and just did not care to check that out.
And it does not take too much efffort to convince them in that apollo program was for real. So far I have meet only one dedicated conspiratist. (He also was strongly er.. politicaly biased, so I did not bother trying to argue with him anymore)

But the point is - people (at least the ones I know) just dont care about space. It simply is of no/minor concern.

Moe

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This matter is easy to settle:

If somebody is able to make a fake to convince to others that the real truth is in fact a fake, this person loses all credibility. (for example the headlight falling to the ground in the studio").

In addition, before questioning something, one must inquire on how works what he is criticizing. (For example with the flag that waves to the wind).

This is simply pathetic.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I used to get all fumed up about moan hoax claims. I would argue with them all day, but some people just have sawdust for brains. I could argue with the street sign in front of my house and convince it the name was wrong and it would agree with me before most if the ignorant people who buy into the moon hoax.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=214671&page=7

The thread above was the last time I actively posted about the subject. Thankfully, as you can see from the poll, a surprising number of people still believe we went. :)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
The flag did not wave in the wind the movement caused by the astronaut deploying it

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Getting technical and particular with the idiots who beleive the Moon hoax theories is fun. However, I've always wound up "burying the hatchet" by asking them to consider this premise:

"What's more feasible... NASA building the hardware and sending men to walk on the Moon, or, pretending they did, convincing the whole world, and then there being no person of any stature or credibilty ever speaking out to disprove it in 40 odd years."

It would have been harder to fake than to actually do. Argument Over.

richard1967

Reaction score
GRRR

Got to say i agree it makes my blood boil to the point i want to scream they landed on the moon no hoax just jelousy. And it helps sad people to grasp onto something as they lead boring lives ..............................................p.s sorry if i cam on a bit strong just makes me soo angry:censored:

bujin

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the hoax theorists explain this:

In my mind, the only ways they could do it is either to find a feather that is as heavy as a hammer, or to create a totally sealed studio and suck all the air out. I imagine that would be a rather large undertaking for such a large studio...

Moe

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ohhh... It´s easy to explain:

Theory A: NASA spend half million dollars in development and construction of an experimental stainless steel feather.

Theory B: This astronaut is really not an astronaut. Is only a non manned spacecraft that seems an astronaut.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I have family that worked on the design and building of the LEM, so I take it a little personally when people tell me it never happened, particuarly the stubborn ones who won't listen to reason or this pesky thing called proof. No offense to AMSO, it's a great apollo simulation, but I think NASSP is particularly useful as a tool to prove the reality of Apollo. One of the basic tennants of the moon hoax theory is that we lacked the computing technology to safely land on the moon. Since the NASSP beta emulates the apollo guidance computer (AGC), it serves as proof that the AGC could do precisely what hoax believers claim it couldn't do.

Personally, although hoax believers are incredibly annoying in their stubborn ignorance, the discussion of the issue has forced me to investigate Apollo in more depth than I otherwise would have. Learning about all the true details of the mission, the problems they faced and how they overcame them, has vastly increased my own appreciation of the feat that was accomplished. Often times the hoax believer's own claims of "proof of a hoax" end up actually being proof of the real mission, so even just the critical examination of their evidence turns up interesting details.

For instance, on the forum you were posting on Tex, the HB claimed to have photos from "two different missions" that show the same mountains in the background. They usually support this claim by mentioning how the foregrounds are completely different. The truth is that both photos came from the same mission at different locations. You can prove this quite easily by arranging the two images side by side, and after adjusting for the tilt of the camera, the images form a perfect stereo pair of the distant mountains. This is because the astronauts moved several kilometers in the rover between pictures, creating a massive stereo separation and allowing you to resolve three dimensional details in the mountains. Not only does this conclusively and definitively prove that it was NOT a 2d backdrop, but it proves that there were real lunar mountains at least several kilometers away that do not match any known mountain range on earth - they couldn't fake entire mountains in 3D without advanced computer generated effects, which didn't exist back then anyway.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the level of critical thinking across the world appears to be in serious decline, with creationism desperately trying to creep into the science curriculum in America (but also in Britain too, to a certain extent), with so many people believing in astrology, crystal healing, psychics, homeopathy, and so on. People are becoming more and more gullible.

The crew of Apollo 8 might object to putting creationism on the same level as Moon-Hoaxism.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
That video of Buzz Aldrin always gives me a warm feeling on the inside.

On the subject of conspiracy theorists, negotiating with them is talking to dog :censored:. The best thing to do with them is to simply ignore them. Most conspiracies start because some stupid person thinks he is all that and gets what he wants (attention). For some reason other idiots follow him and believe stupid bull:censored:, too. The worst part is, there will never be anyway to silence these morons. They will always come up with some new "smoking gun" that only people with minimal amount of intelligence can refute.

I am just glad that the idea of the Moon landing hoax is not as popular as what it sometimes seems. According to Wikipedia:

"A 1999 poll by the The Gallup Organization found that 89 percent of the US public believed the landing was genuine, while 6 percent did not and 5 percent were undecided."

I say, :censored: the losers who feel it necessary to crap on the greatest accomplishment in the history of humankind. There is not one hoax theory that stands up to any real scientific proof. Give me ANY claim, and I can refute it.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
The Moon Landing Hoax Theory is one thing that REALLY makes my blood boil! It's probably one of mankind's greatest achievements and people want to rubbish it.

Unfortunately, the level of critical thinking across the world appears to be in serious decline, with creationism desperately trying to creep into the science curriculum in America (but also in Britain too, to a certain extent),

I complained about this last week on "Random Thoughts" when I got an English 102 persuasive argument essay that took this stance.

The criteria for the assignment was it must be a controversy that's "arguable." This means it must divide a reasonable, competent, educated audience. Since one of the required sources was a refereed academic journal, this essay failed.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score