Project More UCGO base modules

Jamesep3

Reaction score
Well I've finnaly got round to doing something on orbiter I really felt I should discuss:shifty:. I finnaly found a way to convert sketchup models to Meshes (with help:salute:) and I decided this is what I would do. I thought that there was to few module types that came with UCGO and not enough have been made:dry:. So now I plan to make more, 5 more:yes: (double the current amount?). I already converted 1 module my security module. I did find a few problems 1 it lost all the texture it had is sketch up 2 it came out as one massive group and 3 transparent areas were not:thumbsdown:. If some one could help that would be great. If all goes well I might make loads. If anyone wants to recomend module types that would be nice!:thumbup:
OK I have biult 5 already does anyone want to see the models befor they were changed? If so please say I would like some feed back on this topic.:hello:

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
Sounds good, and screenshots are always good (if you are far enough along to have them).

exe-c

Reaction score
Please, post sketchup models! Wanna see em.

Jamesep3

Reaction score
Ok I will post the screen shots as soon as possible. ece-c do you wan't me to post the skatch up models here or on the 3d warehouse?:huh: I still need help with the textures and other problems but I may release the first prototype for you to see.:idea:

Jamesep3

Reaction score
OK here comes some photos

attachment.php

A communal module to relax and live in.:cool:

attachment.php

This module which I have no use for yet:lol:

attachment.php

Even though you can't see it this one you can grow plants in

attachment.php

This is a security module to make sure everyone is ment to be here.:shifty:

attachment.php

and finnaly a shelter to go hide in if the worst should happen.:hide:
I'm also working on a factory or unility module right now. The security module is the only converted one so far and has turned into a gray blob with no texture. Any more Ideas for modules are welcome and so is any help I can get. Think about this you can't have a base without the place for the people to stay.:blahblah:
There are insides to these moules which are very complex compared to the current ones.

Attachments

• Base_Communal_module1.jpg
    Base_Communal_module1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Base_doughnut_module1.jpg
    Base_doughnut_module1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 334
  • Base_Habitat_module1.jpg
    Base_Habitat_module1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 333
  • Base_security_module1.jpg
    Base_security_module1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Base_shelter_module1.jpg
    Base_shelter_module1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 332

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
First off, good work so far.:thumbup: Something you should keep in mind though; basic shapes. The shape of a building is directly related to how it is to be used, what is made of, and where it is to be(the environment its in). So chose a shape that fits what you want. Cubes are good for providing useful interior volumes, for instance. Curved structures are worse for utilizing interior volume but a better for withstanding load on the exterior(be it wind, rain, snow, dust, dead aliens etc.). And don't forget the polygons your using. Squares can get you the cube you want for, lets say for a gym, but squares make for weak structures(relatively speaking). Triangles are really strong, and get strong the more triangles you add. So maybe your shelter should look more like the Epcot Center than how it does. Course, the Epcot Center looks like a damn golf ball, but what you do is up to you. Just remember that I would like to to see this thing of yours really go places, and I'm not trying to roast you on the spit of realism. I do that as I watch Star-Trek:stirpot: .

Jamesep3

Reaction score
I'll think about that I made the shelter that shape so it should resist some light impact wile remain easy to construct. Still my main problems need solving I may release a "beta" of the security module if you wan't!:hmm:

Tribersman_FR

Reaction score
That make me think that somebody really need to make a Radar module.
Because for now it's like we expect them to survive isolated without any station or relay satellite except their ship.

Jamesep3

Reaction score
Thankyou I will get on it straitaway do you want a specific shape or do you wan't to leave it to me?:salute:Also I have just tested the ring module it works fine and I just made it a bit bigger will release Beta soon.;) More Ideas welcome.

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

Tribersman_FR I have made that radar modul and I'm currently testing it I also included a worker for the module who is standing in the corner (he helps me make the module the right size) thanks again for the idea.:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Ok more news I have got 3 modules up and running in orbiter now 3 more waiting to be converted and 1 more being made. so I can quite easaly make more if people want.:yes:

Jamesep3

Reaction score
Ok got some bad news I have encountered some issues with the conversion process which I'm trying to sort out also the project is going to be worked on less for a wile however I am currently working on some UCGO cars which could carry the cargo for the base.

Last edited:

Jamesep3

Reaction score
Ok I am still working I now have some more time on my hand and I also would like some more ideas. With the reacent addition of more UCGO stuff I hope to release a Beta soon:yes:

Jamesep3

Reaction score
OK I am back and planning on working on the project again if anyone me to do so.:tiphat: I may not be able to texture but if anyone here would like to give it a go please say so.:thumbup:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
how did you make the shape for that "useless" module? ive played around with sketchup a while and never worked out how to do spheres of complex shapes like that

Jamesep3

Reaction score
how did you make the shape for that "useless" module? ive played around with sketchup a while and never worked out how to do spheres of complex shapes like that
Ok the useless module is actualy pretty simple to make.
[1] make a large horasontal circle
[2] make a second smaller verticle circle on the edge of it
[3] use the follow me tool to make a tube that "should" turn in to a ring.
Also in the end I decided the usesless module would be a good viewing module. Question did I include it in my Beta release? I can't remember now if I did.
Also t anyone else I am now going through the process of trying to understand blender or at least find a FREE tool that creates models in a similar way to sketch up.:thumbup: