Moving to another country?

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Move to South Africa. We have mild winters, warm summers and diverse cultures.

It's all lovely as long as you don't mind the constant danger of crime and idiotic statements made by the government...

Where aren't you in danger of idiotic statements made by the government and/or opposition parties?

I would recommend Catalonia, Spain, with a fantastic climate and great cuisine, as well as beautiful diverse landscapes, but it's already very full and I would prefer that nobody else came. So I also suggest South Africa - similar climate but much more space.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Argentina, maybe? I eventually want to wind up in one of those places nobody thinks of much. Spain is a good one. So is Alaska or Montana. I've been to Montana, and it's beautiful and certainly easy to get lost in.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
No, they have "ordinateurs" there, it's a little different. For instance, do you know how they measure RAM there? Not in bytes. They've got "octets". And RAM is MEV (MEmoire Vive). So, if you go to a computer shop and need a laptop with at least 1 GB of RAM, you would say something like "J'ai besoin d'un ordi portable avec au moins un gigaoctet de memoire vive". Now, try to pronounce "un gigaoctet de memoire vive" without tying up your tongue in a slipknot.

Yeah, they've got software but software is called "logiciel". And an OS is a "systeme d'exploitation". They've got more or less the same stuff we have but it's... Different.

Now, we oughta have shotguns for this kind of deal...

Remindes me of this classic:
Vincent Vega:...You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules Winnfield:They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?
Vincent Vega:No, man, they got the metric system, they don't know what the fu** a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules Winnfield:What do they call it?
Vincent Vega:They call it a Royal with Cheese.
Jules Winnfield:Royal with Cheese.
Vincent Vega:That's right.
Jules Winnfield:What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent Vega:Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread, Willy.

Torgo

Reaction score
Oh, you were finished! Well allow me to retort.

Once you get the basic ideas of what you want to do and where you'd like to do it sorted, make sure to check out the state department (or equivalent) websites for those countries to see what their emigration /education / work permit / visa regulations are. Some may be more easily obtained than others.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Argentina, maybe? I eventually want to wind up in one of those places nobody thinks of much. Spain is a good one. So is Alaska or Montana. I've been to Montana, and it's beautiful and certainly easy to get lost in.
LOL, I also have a weakness for unusual places. Argentina crossed my mind too. And how about Jordan? Urwumpe suggested that to me in another thread...

How about Iceland? It's probably the only territory with only 300 000 citizens that has widely recognized independence. As I can't handle both bureaucracy and corruption, it might be interesting for me. I'm only a bit afraid for a 'small village attitude'. I've never tried that one before, so I don't know if I can handle it.

But seriously, what's wrong with Canada? On my list of countries, it's on the 'positive' side. It has a good respect for human rights, no death penalty, a well-functioning democracy (AFAIK), a reasonable social security system (to some degree), very good overall wealth, and lots of space to do whatever you want without disturbing others too much.

Edit:
About the country that guaranteed 1Mb internet to all its citizens, that would be Finland, not Norway. Although I wouldn't be surprised if other nordic countries introduce something similar in the near future. And I thought Spain or Portugal also had something similar. It's an interesting difference with countries like France and the UK, where the government wants to cut off people from the net (e.g. in case of illegal file sharing). It's very interesting what the EU will do on this front.

Last edited: