Multiplayer Finally being created

Phillips

Regular witty saying title.
Reaction score
It sounds really intresting, but it is a lot of work and I hope you will release a version with this nice features in the future.

That is, if he does do it.
I mean, this seems like he's new to coding, so he thinks he can make this as his first addon.
But then again, I've never coded, so I dont really have a say here.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Multiplayer via two people at the same computer hasn't really been supported by complex games in like a decade...

Aerofly 5 for example is much more complex and there you can fly multiplayer in both ways: server and splitscreen (internet or one computer).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Aerofly 5 for example is much more complex and there you can fly multiplayer in both ways: server and splitscreen (internet or one computer).
Sure, but controlling an RC plane is a lot simpler than controlling a spacecraft. With things like XBox games that use splitscreen, that's fine because all you need as input is a single controller, and you have different controllers for each player.

With a spacecraft, you need a keyboard to access most spacecraft functions, and you can't really have two people doing the same thing on the same keyboard to different ships...

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Developing And Updating...

Since i now have the source code to ORL Fork of the OMP, I am now developing the OMP to new standards. More will come soon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Since i now have the source code to ORL Fork of the OMP, I am now developing the OMP to new standards. More will come soon.

Are these standards higher or lower than the previous ones... :lol:

Sorry, had to pull a leg there. :cheers:

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
I now have new proposed work. While seeing the project, i have looked at voIP (Voice Over IP) as a great way to talk. This has been turned down in many cases due to impracticality. If anyone can create a MFD that links up with the Teamspeak SDK, this will greatly improve a lot of things. I had the idea to do it myself, but I am working on the main multiplayer project.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I now have new proposed work. While seeing the project, i have looked at voIP (Voice Over IP) as a great way to talk. This has been turned down in many cases due to impracticality. If anyone can create a MFD that links up with the Teamspeak SDK, this will greatly improve a lot of things. I had the idea to do it myself, but I am working on the main multiplayer project.

VoIP is already used in the ORL hosting by means of a Teamspeak hosting. TS3 has a really nice client, why fiddle around with MFD? Install the client, tune in, assign a hotkey and go online in OMP. That's how many ORL regulars do it already...

Would you be so kind to inform us what it is you are working on in OMP ATM?

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
VoIP is already used in the ORL hosting by means of a Teamspeak hosting. TS3 has a really nice client, why fiddle around with MFD? Install the client, tune in, assign a hotkey and go online in OMP. That's how many ORL regulars do it already...

Would you be so kind to inform us what it is you are working on in OMP ATM?
I am currently looking at your source code to see any conflicts and stability things. It is still in the alpha stage you know :thumbup:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am currently looking at your source code to see any conflicts and stability things. It is still in the alpha stage you know :thumbup:

Mhm. Managed to compile it yet?

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
I am able to compile, but i am using MonoDevelop at the moment. I will be using VS2010 for the main compiling in .NET 2.0. System.Deployment dependency is not working in MonoDevelop, but i am able to view the code.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am able to compile, but i am using MonoDevelop at the moment. I will be using VS2010 for the main compiling in .NET 2.0. System.Deployment dependency is not working in MonoDevelop, but i am able to view the code.

Well, I didn't check in a while, but you will not be able to compile the native part of OMPClient with MonoDevelop.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Well, I didn't check in a while, but you will not be able to compile the native part of OMPClient with MonoDevelop.

Oh. That is why it is not showing in the Solution explorer :facepalm:. It is C++. Well. Now it is time to pull out another tool for editing that

buznee

Reaction score
Regarding the discussion for time acceleration in multiplayer, Mandella nailed it on the head.

I suppose I am one of the dreamers, having little coding skills, but as an end user might I make a suggestion?

I think developers are focusing too much on a "massive" multiplayer, like WOW in Spaaaace!!! Instead, I would be very happy with a limited multiplayer hosting no more than four simmers. (Like Left 4 Dead in Spaaace!!!, but with less zombies. Okay no zombies. But you see where I'm going here...)

I'd like to be able to jump into a prepared scenario with just a couple of other space enthusiasts and play for a while. Time acceleration, if needed, would be handled by a dialog box that everyone has to agree on, and anybody can halt.

I can even see this as having application to solo play, as I could run two ships simultaneously without having to tab back and forth between, or run a remote control.

I never tried it, but it sounds like the Orbiter Racing League was working on something like this? Or am I misunderstanding the direction that was going?

Time needs to be serverside. This will keep everyone in the same time and synced.

If someone for example just finished a burn and would like to time accelerate to the next point he would put in a request to time accelerate (probably some serverside set fixed amount or maybe the player can choose in the request dialog box). For example he would hit the time accel request key and the box would say something like the following..

Request Time Accel
1 - 10X
2 - 100X
3 - 1000X
4 - 10000X

He would then hit the desired accel request speed.

This can be a request that everyone has to agree on or a voting system incase you want to avoid issues with idle players who are not responding. If the server uses the request system then the request is sent to the other players in the server in which all have to approved. This can be a dialog box that pops up on everyone's screen as soon as the player sends the request. For example it would say something like...

Player1 has requested to time accelerate at 100X. Do you approve?

1 Yes
2 No

Let's say they all approved the request, then the server would time accelerate. If at any point during the time acceleration, one of the players feels that he needs to stop the accel for any reason, he can do so without the need to request or vote. All he would have to do is hit a key that would stop the acceleration. This would be great if for example now player2 would like to do a burn ,dock, or rentry etc. After he finishes his task then player1, who was time accelerating and was halted, can now request again to time accelerate. I think this would work very well. Thoughts?

Also with regards to teamspeak, i don't see the need to integrate it into orbiter. I think a chat for now would be sufficient. voice can take up quite a bit of bandwidth. There are plenty of programs out there (roger wilco, team speak, skype, and others) that can be run as secondary programs when multiplayer. I think the first step is to have a non time accel fully stable multiplayer platform with online chat. Once the basic multiplayer is stable I would prioritize the time accel features for effective and fun orbiter multiplayer. Other neat features that I think can be integrated into orbiter multiplayer would be the ability for someone else to pilot your ship. FSX currently has this feature in which you can request (again with dialog box) to take control of someone's aircraft. This would make it quite entertaining to work together with someone else on a mission or even training. We could even have EVA crew controlled by different players. This could work where one player releases the EVA crew into space from the ship. Then the other players can request to take control of them.

Last edited: