Science My Space Engine Videos

RAF Blackace

Reaction score
After reading the thread on space engine and drooling at the possibility of Martin working with this guy, I made a couple of videos to wet your lips at the potential.

Our Place in the Universe.

http://youtu.be/HHZFLPSYCqs

The Devil in the Detail.

http://youtu.be/zErrQ0SjjbQ

Hope you like them.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

I know the universe has been done before, but to me they are all too dark and once you get to the galaxies you cant see jack. So I thought I would make my own.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
Its good to see some Orbinauts who like space engine. I love it- I've only recently discovered it and it's brilliant- its like Celestia but with better graphics. Celestia only uses databases, and so you can't fly to other galaxies unless they are mapped out. Space engine takes care of that, and thats one reason I love it!

Even with 12gb of memory, a core i7 990x, and two nvidia 485ms, space engine still crashes on me if I generate too much. Maybe some version updates will discard unused data in memory (if I zoom to another galaxy after exploring one. For now, I just quit and relaunch the application.

RAF Blackace

Reaction score
What I find amazing about Space Engine, is not that it creates a procedural universe. But that it creates the same universe repeatedly.

I can take a picture of any of the billions of planets in any Galaxy no matter where it is, look at that planet on someone else's PC and it is exactly the same.

Every star, planet, moon, asteroid and nebulae I see on my PC, everyone else is seeing the same thing in the same place. Everyone sees exactly the same universe.

I have no idea how it works, but that alone is very impressive.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Whenever I try to use it the 3D terrain never generates correctly...:(

RAF Blackace

Reaction score
Leave all the settings to default, don't try to change the LOD level. Back away from the planet and go back in, it should work. Having said that it is still a very buggy program and will probably crash on you every 10 minutes, but it is currently still a pre-release Beta. at version 0.951

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
But that it creates the same universe repeatedly.
Any program that creates a procedural something does it that way. What would be the point if it's different each time?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Any program that creates a procedural something does it that way. What would be the point if it's different each time?

A new experiance each time?(Player's point of view.)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
A new experiance each time?(Player's point of view.)

Its the universe, varying your direction of travel by a few degrees play through by play through makes the experience different everytime

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Its the universe, varying your direction of travel by a few degrees play through by play through makes the experience different everytime

I'm referring to procedural games in general.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm referring to procedural games in general.
Procedural=made by description. Not a declared set of data (i.e. JPG file), but an algorithm to make the data.
From very definition the content so produced would remain the same each time it's produced.
Making it different each time is the problem, you have to randomize the description in a consistent way.

So, not creating the same universe repeatedly is an additional feature to implement above procedural generation, not vice versa. Not sure if SE can do that - lots of options, none labelled "seed".