Project N1-L3 Soviet Lunar Program Development

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
"Why a manned Lunokhod? of course it is unmanned in their plans. "

I didn't explain well. It was unmanned BUT with the possibility of the cosmonaut riding / driving it. At least that was the original intent.
Don't know if any work was actually done regarding that configuration. But from the video I posted it seems that the early Lunokhod prototypes were just the weels and chasis with no clear instrumentation or power source.

There's more info here: http://eandt.theiet.org/magazine/2011/03/rover-v-lunokhod.cfm?SaveToPDF

"What is less well known is that Lunokhods were originally developed as part of this manned lunar programme. Just 40 per cent the
mass of the Apollo Lunar Module, the LK lander possessed limited redundancy. Responding to this potential unreliability, the idea
was to launch a spare unmanned lander first, along with a robot rover (originally designated 'Ye-8').

This rover would inspect the lander for damage, as well as serving as a radio beacon for the follow-up manned lander to home in on.
However, due to irregular lunar gravity, a precision landing might prove difficult. So the rover had another purpose, transporting the
cosmonaut to reach his back-up lander, if needed (carrying 24 hours' worth of life support).

Eventually, the rover was given additional tasks to prepare for a manned landing. Then, as the prospect of achieving this receded, the
Ye-8 programme took on a life of its own. Its lander was also modified for sample return missions. The first Lunokhod mission
launched on January 1969 – the rovers' profile would be higher, if one had beaten Neil Armstrong – but blew up a few seconds in.
Lunokhod 1 finally landed 18 months later.

Form followed function for this 2.3m-long 756 kg rover. Its bathtub body was a pressurised vessel – Russian engineers liked to keep
delicate electronics in air instead of vacuum. Resisting the bitter -150°C night and then the 120°C daytime heat was the key issue. So
Lunokhod 1 had a clam-like lid with solar panels to catch the Sun, exposing a radiator to expel waste heat. When the fortnight-long
night began, the lid closed, sealing in heat produced by a polonium-210 isotope."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not in air - in nitrogen. But otherwise pretty correct, just the conclusions of the author about the intentions of the design process are a bit jumpy.

Also, precision landings had been proven later by Apollo, the Russians even had better gravity maps of the moon around 1966, when the L3 program got more support.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
It does illustrate the concept but not very realistic.

I think we can assume that a security LK lander and some sort of rover would land first. It would be nice (and acurate) to have this in the addon.

Not sure about mass, but I guess that a simple rover + lander stage might equal the LOK weight. If that was true, then both the LK and rover could be sent in a single launch.

This rover would have the same wheels as the Lunokhod but everything else would be different. Speed needs to be much higher, and some kind of seat and control panel would also need to be present.
Does anyone has a image of a Russian lunar rover with a cosmonaut? Sometime "artistic" renderings draw from real projects and some info does filter through.

Also, I guess that the space LK could return much more rock samples from the moon, provided that it could be remote controlled. Since the landing is automated, I guess the lift-off could also be done remotely.

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
There are many unmanned components of the L3, all of which will eventually be simulated by this addon. First, two lunar orbiters of the Ye-8-LS type will be launched by Proton/Block-D vehicles. These will take high resolution images of the lunar surface and select primary and backup landing sites. Next two Ye-8 (Lunokhod) rovers would be launched (also on Proton/Block-D vehicles). One of these would land at the primary site and one at the backup. Next a fully operational (but unmanned) L3 complex would be launched by the N1 rocket. The unmanned LK would land at the backup landing site, guided by the Lunokhod there while the unmanned LOK stays in lunar orbit. Finally the piloted L3 would launch with the manned LK landing at the primary landing site, guided by the Lunokhod there. The modifications to the Lunokhod to allow transportation of the cosmonaut to the backup lander are these:
-oxygen tanks that the Kretchet-94 suit can be hooked up to, giving the cosmonaut a larger supply of oxygen.
-a small platform for securing the cosmonaut to the rover in a standing position.
-a control panel for driving the rover
-an increase in top speed from 100-200 meters per hour to 1.2 km per hour.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

One or two communications satellites (probably just simple lunar orbiters to relay communications) would also be launched prior to the landing. These would help insure communications in case of some sort of failure (or while the spacecraft was behind the moon?)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Looks nice. Just two comments:

"-a small platform for securing the cosmonaut to the rover in a standing position."
The cosmonaut is standing in the LK lander and also on the rover! He never sits down ;)

"One or two communications satellites... while the spacecraft was behind the moon?"
Apollo had radio silence, but it was 100% manned. So perhaps some sort of satellite makes sense. The unmanned LOK might be able to carry out this task.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Here's an image of another LOK panel modeled in 3D. Most of it was assembled from parts of the previous two, but it is accurate regarding the button layout and instruments.

56721110.jpg

Only one panel to go ;)
I'll sent both to Columbia when done.

Columbia42

Reaction score
The LK is finally textured!

picture.php

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Thanks 4throck. I noticed in an image that Urwumpe posted that the last panel is sort of freestanding so it's much thicker than the other panels.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Here's the picture:
lokome1.jpg

Columbia42

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going out of town for a little over a week so I won't have access to Orbiter but I will be able to check the forum occasionally. Thanks for all of your work on the panels, 4throck.

GigaG

Reaction score
Awesome! I've been interested in the N1, and now we will finally be able to launch one without exploding! When will this be finished?

GigaG

Reaction score
Also, this is unrelated, but how many Gs did the N1 generate on liftoff? The 1st stage was (as far as I know) 150% more powerful than the Saturn, so I would guess it would start quick. From most video's I've seen, it cleared the tower faster than the Saturn.

Anyways, good job. I cannot wait for this.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, this is unrelated, but how many Gs did the N1 generate on liftoff? The 1st stage was (as far as I know) 150% more powerful than the Saturn, so I would guess it would start quick. From most video's I've seen, it cleared the tower faster than the Saturn.

Anyways, good job. I cannot wait for this.

Its 1.87 g for the N-1 and 1.14 g for the Saturn V.

GigaG

Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking in terms of max g-force and not liftoff g-force.

Where did you find that info, anyways? And does anybody know the peak g-force of the N1?