Updates NASA New Horizons Mission Updates

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
Has there been any discussion of concerns about why Pluto is collecting so many moons? Any speculation at all as to what its long-term plans are? Are they friendly?

Actually, I read a few days ago that the current theory on the moons of Pluto is they are remnants of the collision that formed Charon. Current theory is Charon was formed in a similar manner as our Moon was formed but as Pluto and Charon as much smaller than the Earth and Moon, the remnants of the collision did not get collected by the 2 largest surviving parts but instead formed additional moons. This is also why they were a bit worried about New Horizon's passage through the Pluto system. They were afraid that there might be other even smaller moonlets or dust particles left over from the collision that may cause problems for the space craft.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Actually, I read a few days ago that the current theory on the moons of Pluto is they are remnants of the collision that formed Charon.

But Charon and Pluto have different compositions... Once I thought that Charon might have been captured in the early days, when the Kuiper belt was fare more populated than today...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
What about Nix, Styx and Hydra? If it were just Pluto and Charon orbiting their barycenter, I could believe that tidal forces would be negligible. But wouldn't the other moons exert small tidal forces?

That's an interesting thought, but I don't think that can be the case.
Quoting Wikipedia on the masses of the smaller moons: "At the larger end of this range, the inferred masses are less than 0.3% that of Charon, or 0.03% that of Pluto."
They are also a fair distance away from Pluto.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This new image of an area on Pluto's largest moon Charon has a captivating feature—a depression with a peak in the middle, shown here in the upper left corner of the inset.
nh-charon-inset.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks like a mountain got too heavy and fell through the floor... What's the assumed major surface composition of Charon again? :hmm:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What's the assumed major surface composition of Charon again? :hmm:
About 53% ice, 42% rock and 5% alien HQ.
The latter might have shrunk a bit after the aliens got bored of us and left.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
That's an interesting thought, but I don't think that can be the case.
Quoting Wikipedia on the masses of the smaller moons: "At the larger end of this range, the inferred masses are less than 0.3% that of Charon, or 0.03% that of Pluto."
They are also a fair distance away from Pluto.

True, but "small" doesn't always mean "negligible". I'm curious if constant small gravitational tweaking could build up enough tidal work to get things fluid. The only real way to move heat off the surface of Pluto is radiation, which isn't terribly efficient. Small tidal work + poor heat removal (might) = liquid oceans if you are patient. Just a thought.

Super cool science observations! :cheers: Shouldn't there be a mass of people in Times Square in NYC chanting "Science! Science! Science!" right about now? If not, let's get on that. This is the best of our species at work.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The latter might have shrunk a bit after the aliens got bored of us and left.

Last time I checked, they left Pluto in order to defend their home from THE ULTIMATE EVIIIIIL! :rofl:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The mission is far from finished. Over the next few months we will downlink lots and lots of data. Imagine what will come in.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
The mission is far from finished. Over the next few months we will downlink lots and lots of data. Imagine what will come in.

Not to mention the possibility of a mission extension to target a Kuiper Belt object further out. They've got to pick a target for that soon if they want to make the intercept.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I was almost certain they already did? weren't there conclusive, decisive results from the Hubble search they did a few months back? :confused:

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Last time I checked, they left Pluto in order to defend their home from THE ULTIMATE EVIIIIIL! :rofl:

You need to clarify that. Are you talking about Facebook or "Reality" TV?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok OF, now I am a little dissappointed. One of the probably most famous Star Control 2 references, and nobody gets it? And it's even in the context of talks about an alien base on Pluto (well, charon technically, but the link shouldn't be too tough). Oh well, maybe the game is a bit old by now. Let me see what I can dig up for clarification... ah, here we go, the conversation with Captain Fwiffo on Pluto:

It's funny enough to listen through the whole thing, but if you're in a hurry, at 2:55 is the reason why he is on Pluto, and the reason why he's the only one left, which connects to my joke, is at 5:00.

The whole thing of course turns around the fact that the Spathy's racial "hat" is cowardice and paranoia.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
NASA will hold a media briefing at 1 p.m. EDT Friday, July 17, to reveal new images of Pluto and discuss new science findings from Tuesday’s historic flyby.

:cheers:

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Polygonal terrain on Pluto! Extraordinary! Usually seen in glacial terrain on Earth when ice melts!
Perhaps it can happen on Pluto's surface from liquid methane or liquid nitrogen.

Bob Clark