Project Nautilus-X

yankeeman1028

Reaction score
I am completely new to addon development and the most I can do is draw parts in 3d cad software. I've been looking at a NASA ship proposal called nautilus-x which is a space-only interplanetary ship which could be built using today's technology. Google if you want to know more. I started looking around orbiter for it and I couldn't believe no one had made it yet. I was wondering if anybody is interested in first of all, making it and second of all, possibly letting me help and showing me the process of making addons. I have looked around and you can use existing addons for a large part of it, such as the trussed corridor nodes and robotic arm from space station building blocks 4.1 a vasmir engine from somewhere and a transhab addon also. Neither of these are perfect for the job, but I figured using them would save a lot of work if we could edit the mesh, if that's possible? The hardest part would probably be the centrifuge. I also don't know if you can merge vessels like this together to mak a single ship? Anyway, let me know if someone is interested or has any suggestions! Thanks!

yankeeman1028

Reaction score
I know, I just figured It might be a little ambitious for my first one and if someone more experienced it would be faster.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd suggest starting from simpler projects. Familiarize yourself how to use meshes, create config and ini files, how to create spacecraft3.dll vessels. If you know c++ you may try coding your own vessel dll. Editing meshes is possible however I usually don't do it. I prefer either recreating mesh or using modeller native source file instead of converting meshes back and forth.